• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some Googling led me to Vulcain Crickets. They've got a world-time/GMT with alarm that is quite appealing. Hmmm. Another one for the wish list.

darkoak

Reaction score

Hey Derek,

My computer wasn't letting me quote anything last night.  Really strange!

If I could only have 1 Daytona, I'd have one with the El Primero based movement, and I'll explain why later.  I think you have to ask whether you are buying something to wear but also as a collectible, or whether you are going to use it as a daily wearer and you want the newest maybe most rugged version on the market.  The current Daytona has a much longer power reserve 72hrs vs roughly 42 (those are without the chronograph function activated).  The newer one also has larger easier to see luminous markers, but they are a bit clumsy looking compared to the old one.  The new movement has fewer parts so servicing is supposed to be easier/less complicated (although unless you are servicing it yourself, who cares?).  In addition, the newest Daytonas have a bracelet with all solid links (although I owned Rolex watches on hollow Oyster bracelets for years and they held up very well).  Although no one knows the production numbers for particular models of Rolex per year, most people believe that once Rolex was making Daytonas with in house movements, the production numbers increased drastically as they were no longer dependent on what others could supply them.

Both are nice solid watches, I've used each in the past as daily wearers.  My prefernce is for the El Primero based watches largely due to its design and appearance ( and knock on wood I've never had a problem with them).  Although they use the Zenith El Primero as a base movement, they are vastly different.  The number of beats per hour was changed, and supposedly there are approximately 200 modifications made to the movement before it became Rolex Cal 4030.  The first in house Daytona I had, after sitting for about 4-6 months when I activated the chronograph, the minute subdial went crazy and would jump in intervals of 3 minutes, 5 minutes etc even though the large chrongraph sweep hand had only made 1 revolution.  It was fixed under warranty, so not a big deal, but it was the only time I've had an issue with a new Rolex...but don't let that make or break your decision.  My current inhouse Daytona purchased new in 2005 is fine.

Overall, I perfer the appearance of the Zenith El Primero watch.  Its just a more classic look when you put them side by side.  The thin hour/minute hands and luminous markers around the dial are smaller and more elegant making the watch a bit more versatile (I think it looks better with a suit than the current model).   I also prefer the centered look of the subdials on the Zenith version.  The inhouse model, Rolex shifted the Subdials upward by a few degree in an effort people say to make it tougher to make copies.  I also think the white/cream subdial trim rings on the black dial and the black subdial trim rings of the white dial look more elegant and are easier to read than the silver subdial trim rings of the current version.  I also prefer the continuous seconds at 9 than at 6...I think it makes it a bit more interesting (tons of watches have it at 6).  Then you can get into the various years if you want somewhat rare one, where the word Cosmograph is separated from the other text on the dial, or different fonts, or the different bezel only to 200 units on the early models (rather than 400). 

Either should provide you with a great watch that you will enjoy for many years.  If you choose to go for an inhouse movement opt for one made around 2005 or later with the fat hands.  The early ones made from 2000-about 2004, just looked mismatched using larger luminous markers around the dial with the original thin style hands from the prior Zenith based model.  Either get a Zenith based model all of which had thin hands & thin markers, or get the later inhouse version with fat hands and fat markers.

I hope that helps.  If you have a more specific question that I didn't answer just let me know and I'll try to address it.

Dino, would you mind taking a pic of your El Primero and in-house movement'ed Daytonas side-by-side, please?

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Darkoak,

For some reason my computer is not letting me use the "quote" function. Anyway, I keep many of my watches at the bank in a safe deposit box, and right now thats where the Daytonas are. I'd have to make a trip to the bank to take pictures such as you requested. I don't think I've ever taken a side by side photo of the Zenith based movement Daytona next to the inhouse movement Daytona. But thats a good idea, and I hope to do it soon.

However, to deal with your request sooner, there are several photos showing side by side comparisons on Timezone's Rolex forum (check the vintage Rolex forum). In any event, you will notice in a side by side photo, the dials differe in several ways, the color of the subdials, placement of the subdials (they were shifted upward with the inhouse movement Daytonas), size and shape of the luminous markings on the dials, the size of the hour & minute hand (comparing Zenith based watch to a later Daytona with the so called "Fat hands." Also on some models the font is different as is the placement of the word Cosmograph (on the very earliest Zenith based Daytonas roughly 1989, mine has the word Cosmograph in the usual place as it was made either in 1995 or 96. There are even a few websites dedicated to showing the differences between the earliest and latest Zenith based Daytona dials and bezels.

Check this link. http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...SearchBox&rlz=1I7GGLL_en&tbm=isch&um=1&itbs=1

Its a black dial Zenith and white dial inhouse. Notice...the luminous markings at 3 and 9 o'clock are in line with the centers of the subdial hands, while on the white dial the centers of the hour and minute subdial hands are slightly above the luminous markers at 3 and 9 o'clock. That was due to the upward shift of the subdials on the newer watches.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ scroll down in the link to see the photo. Sadly, the angle of the black dial watches catches some glare and doesn't fully show how great looking its dial is.

NonServiam

Reaction score
Fall is so here. Gold brightens the day.

1-DSC_5178.jpg

origenesprit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

As stitches said, JLC does, and you can also find a vintage memovox that would fit the bill
memovoxTC.jpg

I have one in steel. Great watch.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Me too, it has a better ring than the Pam 98

Anansi

Reaction score
So, watch aficionados:
Other than the Breguet Reveil series, who currently makes a mechanical alarm watch?
This is by JLC, the Tribute to Deep Sea Alarm. It has a nice subtle alarm, though I would like to think that during a dive the wearer would hear it perfectly.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics