The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Das Gaus

Das Gaus Member

What about a NATO strap? They are quite comfortable in warm weather.

2. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

I have really only been sucked into the world of watch appreciation via this thread, and don't haunt other watch fora. But I can't help feeling that the reason this thread is so good is that there are no watch makers advertising on this forum, which nevertheless reflects a demographic with a high level of interest in the subject.

Turning that around, I think we'd get a far more sensible discussion of certain shoe brands and outlets sometimes if we opened a thread about them on a watch forum!

Anyway, I only came here to look at the shoes, but thanks for the education...one of these days I'm going to do something very silly in a watch shop thanks to you lot. In the mean time, I've a whole new hobby with which to kill time at airports!

3. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Sports watches with suits are a pet peeve of mine. So this is me annoying myself:

[​IMG]

4. Ilovelobbs

Ilovelobbs Senior member

Quote:Try living & working in Switzerland (Geneva) - there are watch shops in ever street corner. Never an excuse to be late for a meeting; date; appointment....I have picked up some fantastic bargains in the Swiss airport during the sale...(when the CHF used to be weak) .... And the Basel Watch exhibition in 2 weeks time...isn't helpful to my pockets either.

5. no frills

no frills Senior member

Quote:+1 here. But unlike mimo I have thoroughly and completely succumbed to the siren song of fine watches!

6. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

very nice watch, flake.
    great pic, roger. love that speedy.

7. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Agree with all of the above. I used to frequent and post there many years ago. However, the dynamics changed and I rarely visit that site. Moderating is a difficult job, especially when corporate culture takes over. It changes from a place where moderators can freely express themselves, to one where moderators must be careful not to offend sponsoring companies. Its a tough line to walk. One stands to loses credibility with forum members when one can no longer express an honest opinion of a watch, and only discuss its positive aspects. I have a friend that moderates on a different forum for a different brand. He and I exchange very candid emails about new models, what we like and dislike. Whenever I have criticism of a watch from the brand he moderates for, he asks me to make sure I include it in my discussion on the forum, as he said its very difficult for the moderators to criticize sponsoring brands. I don't know what the circumstances are surrounding SJX's departure, but I am saddened to hear about this situation. I wish him all the best in his future endeavors.

8. Keith T

Keith T TWAT Master.

Not my watch, and not my pic...but I always liked this combo:

[​IMG]

I think I pulled it from TZ, but am not sure who to credit. Let's just say some watch enthusiast with better photography skills than me.

9. in stitches

indeed, it is a very hard line to walk. i have not read watch-time magazine in a while, but i used to have a subscription, and i read their issues cover to cover for a number of years. i only stopped because i found i did not have the time at home to red them. i do want to resubscribe though. i think they were very good at calling a spade a spade. sometimes i thought they were too harsh on a watch.

i dont know where they stand now, or what sponsorships they carry, if any, but i thought they were very good and not glancing over issues just not to offend some corporate office.

10. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

As for the Milgauss, its a nice watch, but only the vintage models are rare these days. The current Milgauss isn't rare at all. Still its a good watch and a bit different from the DJ, if you don't mind the color and second hand.

I agree with Frills, the 36mm ref 114270 Explorer 1 is a great watch and very versatile. I bought one more than 10 years ago to wear as an interview watch. Clean, simple, nicely balanced in feel and appearance, easy to read at a glance, and its and iconic part of Rolex history (having been worn decades ago to climb Mount Everest and having greater water resistance than DJs back in the 70s). When compared to 36mm Datejusts of say the 2002 -roughly 2004, the Ex1 has the solid end links and an oysterlock clasp that is better integrated with the bracelet. The bracelet of later Datejusts improved when they revised the model and gave it solid bracelet links, but it became too shiny IMHO with its polished center links and polished lugs (which I find look too rounded). The Explorer 1 is obviously not a pure dress watch, but it looks great with a suit and I liked that while it has a family resemblance to the DJ, it is a professional model with history and design that is as important as that of a Sub, GMT, Daytona etc.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

11. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

I'm biased but I really like this. One day I'm going to get a brown croc for my Speedy too..

12. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

A quick photo of 2 of Man's best friends. Not the best photo, as its tough holding a leash (attached to a 150lb puppy), a camera, and including a wrist shot in the photo at the same time.

[​IMG]

13. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

I think Watch Time actually does a really nice job of being 'fair,' and normally identifies the positive and negative components of a watch. With that said, sometimes I do wonder. Some of the reviews seem a little bit biased, and a lot of the focus is frequently on Breitling. I think Breitling was on the cover of three of their magazines, and that just makes me wonder.

Other than that, I think it is a great magazine. I like how technical they get as well.

And Dino, very nice picture! For a puppy, he looks like he is going to be a monster (or she?)! The AP looks gorgeous, I think the 15202 is definitely the one to get.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2013

14. Ilovelobbs

Ilovelobbs Senior member

Quote:Nice watch, Nice combo - I think a new thread to show off everyone Jacket/Shirt/Watch combo is overdue....similar to the Pants/Socks/Shoe thread.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2013

15. in stitches

i know that they had a lot of reader complaints about the focus on uber high end most unattainable watches for most mortals, and requests to feature more middle of the road watches. i assumed the featuring of breitling was to satisfy that but not be stuck showing entry level watches that no one heard of. breitling has enough cache to keep people interested and at a price point that quiets the aforementioned crowd.

i found the content at the time of that shift did feature more 2-5k watches, but still had plenty of stuff on the high end sechsay stuff too. i for one, never had a problem. i liked seeing pics and articles on watches i otherwise would not have seen. but, they have a lot of readers to satisfy, and i think they did a good job of it, last i was reading.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.