• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ilovelobbs

Reaction score
Quote:
Try living & working in Switzerland (Geneva) - there are watch shops in ever street corner. Never an excuse to be late for a meeting; date; appointment....I have picked up some fantastic bargains in the Swiss airport during the sale...(when the CHF used to be weak) .... And the Basel Watch exhibition in 2 weeks time...isn't helpful to my pockets either.

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
+1 here. But unlike mimo I have thoroughly and completely succumbed to the siren song of fine watches!

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
very nice watch, flake.
Sports watches with suits are a pet peeve of mine. So this is me annoying myself:
great pic, roger. love that speedy.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to post on the purists way back when. Way before it was "pro" anything, when people like Lord Arran used to go there and shoot the ****, post pics etc, when the site owner (tom?) would send one of his own watches (Pateks etc) to get reviewed by posters. .... On the one hand sites obviously need money to keep going but on the other, it seems that once that money starts coming in, the number one priority is how to increase the inflows, not how to make a better forum.

I haven't posted there in years. Barely even lurk anymore. Was more collegial and informative back when Dr Mao was actively coordinating/running the place.

Wow. This is shocking. I am an avid watch collector and have been following thepurists since Dr. Thomas Mao's days.
...The abrupt departure of SJX is shocking. Obviously, there is more to that story in parallel to the tale of the stable boy who became a knight.
My respect and condolences to SJX. .
Agree with all of the above. I used to frequent and post there many years ago. However, the dynamics changed and I rarely visit that site. Moderating is a difficult job, especially when corporate culture takes over. It changes from a place where moderators can freely express themselves, to one where moderators must be careful not to offend sponsoring companies. Its a tough line to walk. One stands to loses credibility with forum members when one can no longer express an honest opinion of a watch, and only discuss its positive aspects. I have a friend that moderates on a different forum for a different brand. He and I exchange very candid emails about new models, what we like and dislike. Whenever I have criticism of a watch from the brand he moderates for, he asks me to make sure I include it in my discussion on the forum, as he said its very difficult for the moderators to criticize sponsoring brands. I don't know what the circumstances are surrounding SJX's departure, but I am saddened to hear about this situation. I wish him all the best in his future endeavors.

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Not my watch, and not my pic...but I always liked this combo:

I think I pulled it from TZ, but am not sure who to credit. Let's just say some watch enthusiast with better photography skills than me.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Agree with all of the above.  I used to frequent and post there many years ago.  However, the dynamics changed and I rarely visit that site. 
Moderating is a difficult job, especially when corporate culture takes over.  It changes from a place where moderators can freely express themselves, to one where moderators must be careful not to offend sponsoring companies.  Its a tough line to walk.  One stands to loses credibility with forum members when one can no longer express an honest opinion of a watch, and only discuss its positive aspects.  I have a friend that moderates on a different forum for a different brand.  He and I exchange very candid emails about new models, what we like and dislike.  Whenever I have criticism of a watch from the brand he moderates for, he asks me to make sure I include it in my discussion on the forum, as he said its very difficult for the moderators to criticize sponsoring brands.  I don't know what the circumstances are surrounding SJX's departure, but I am saddened to hear about this situation.  I wish him all the best in his future endeavors.

indeed, it is a very hard line to walk. i have not read watch-time magazine in a while, but i used to have a subscription, and i read their issues cover to cover for a number of years. i only stopped because i found i did not have the time at home to red them. i do want to resubscribe though. i think they were very good at calling a spade a spade. sometimes i thought they were too harsh on a watch.

i dont know where they stand now, or what sponsorships they carry, if any, but i thought they were very good and not glancing over issues just not to offend some corporate office.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Milgauss is an interesting piece (and very rare for a Rolex), but the second hand and the color of the markers have always thrown me off.

I was thinking of staying with the 36mm. I have a 6.5 inch wrist and to me, the watch is almost too simple for it to look good at 39mm (don't know if that makes sense)

Yeah 36mm is a good size to me, and both the Explorer and Datejust are that size. I feel both can take that sort of abuse, but some days I feel I would prefer the slightly dressier appearance of the Datejust, and the other days I feel like going with the Explorer 1 as it isn't as ubiquitous as the DJ. Or maybe I should find another piece that speaks to me
smile.gif
As for the Milgauss, its a nice watch, but only the vintage models are rare these days. The current Milgauss isn't rare at all. Still its a good watch and a bit different from the DJ, if you don't mind the color and second hand.

I agree with Frills, the 36mm ref 114270 Explorer 1 is a great watch and very versatile. I bought one more than 10 years ago to wear as an interview watch. Clean, simple, nicely balanced in feel and appearance, easy to read at a glance, and its and iconic part of Rolex history (having been worn decades ago to climb Mount Everest and having greater water resistance than DJs back in the 70s). When compared to 36mm Datejusts of say the 2002 -roughly 2004, the Ex1 has the solid end links and an oysterlock clasp that is better integrated with the bracelet. The bracelet of later Datejusts improved when they revised the model and gave it solid bracelet links, but it became too shiny IMHO with its polished center links and polished lugs (which I find look too rounded). The Explorer 1 is obviously not a pure dress watch, but it looks great with a suit and I liked that while it has a family resemblance to the DJ, it is a professional model with history and design that is as important as that of a Sub, GMT, Daytona etc.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A quick photo of 2 of Man's best friends. Not the best photo, as its tough holding a leash (attached to a 150lb puppy), a camera, and including a wrist shot in the photo at the same time.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

indeed, it is a very hard line to walk. i have not read watch-time magazine in a while, but i used to have a subscription, and i read their issues cover to cover for a number of years. i only stopped because i found i did not have the time at home to red them. i do want to resubscribe though. i think they were very good at calling a spade a spade. sometimes i thought they were too harsh on a watch.

i dont know where they stand now, or what sponsorships they carry, if any, but i thought they were very good and not glancing over issues just not to offend some corporate office.

I think Watch Time actually does a really nice job of being 'fair,' and normally identifies the positive and negative components of a watch. With that said, sometimes I do wonder. Some of the reviews seem a little bit biased, and a lot of the focus is frequently on Breitling. I think Breitling was on the cover of three of their magazines, and that just makes me wonder.

Other than that, I think it is a great magazine. I like how technical they get as well.

And Dino, very nice picture! For a puppy, he looks like he is going to be a monster (or she?)! The AP looks gorgeous, I think the 15202 is definitely the one to get.

Last edited:

Ilovelobbs

Reaction score
Quote:
Nice watch, Nice combo - I think a new thread to show off everyone Jacket/Shirt/Watch combo is overdue....similar to the Pants/Socks/Shoe thread.

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think Watch Time actually does a really nice job of being 'fair,' and normally identifies the positive and negative components of a watch. With that said, sometimes I do wonder. Some of the reviews seem a little bit biased, and a lot of the focus is frequently on Breitling. I think Breitling was on the cover of three of their magazines, and that just makes me wonder.
Other than that, I think it is a great magazine. I like how technical they get as well.

i know that they had a lot of reader complaints about the focus on uber high end most unattainable watches for most mortals, and requests to feature more middle of the road watches. i assumed the featuring of breitling was to satisfy that but not be stuck showing entry level watches that no one heard of. breitling has enough cache to keep people interested and at a price point that quiets the aforementioned crowd.

i found the content at the time of that shift did feature more 2-5k watches, but still had plenty of stuff on the high end sechsay stuff too. i for one, never had a problem. i liked seeing pics and articles on watches i otherwise would not have seen. but, they have a lot of readers to satisfy, and i think they did a good job of it, last i was reading.

stafa

Reaction score
As for the Milgauss, its a nice watch, but only the vintage models are rare these days. The current Milgauss isn't rare at all. Still its a good watch and a bit different from the DJ, if you don't mind the color and second hand.

I agree with Frills, the 36mm ref 114270 Explorer 1 is a great watch and very versatile. I bought one more than 10 years ago to wear as an interview watch. Clean, simple, nicely balanced in feel and appearance, easy to read at a glance, and its and iconic part of Rolex history (having been worn decades ago to climb Mount Everest and having greater water resistance than DJs back in the 70s). When compared to 36mm Datejusts of say the 2002 -roughly 2004, the Ex1 has the solid end links and an oysterlock clasp that is better integrated with the bracelet. The bracelet of later Datejusts improved when they revised the model and gave it solid bracelet links, but it became too shiny IMHO with its polished center links and polished lugs (which I find look too rounded). The Explorer 1 is obviously not a pure dress watch, but it looks great with a suit and I liked that while it has a family resemblance to the DJ, it is a professional model with history and design that is as important as that of a Sub, GMT, Daytona etc.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Thanks for the info! As for the Milgauss, what I meant about it being rare was how infrequently you see it in the flesh as compared to the other Rolex models

Last edited:

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

have i mentioned how much i miss my DJ?

I miss my DJ too :cry:

I'm not a huge fan of PVD watch. But I got a really good deal on this watch. I was looking for a cheap decent looking quartz chronograph.

It also came with a zulu/leather strap :D

Last edited:

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Try living & working in Switzerland (Geneva) - there are watch shops in ever street corner. Never an excuse to be late for a meeting; date; appointment....I have picked up some fantastic bargains in the Swiss airport during the sale...(when the CHF used to be weak) ....And the Basel Watch exhibition in 2 weeks time...isn't helpful to my pockets either.
+1 here.But unlike mimo I have thoroughly and completely succumbed to the siren song of fine watches!

It's also been a crappy year for business, so not having the money, and also moving house, have helped keep me disciplined! I will continue to live vicariously through you gentlemen and increasing my baseline knowledge, for now!

... Milgauss, what I meant about it being rare was how infrequently you see it in the flesh as compared to the other Rolex models
Yes. I also think it's interesting at the price point; just a little quirkier that the DJ or DD, without going the sport route. I find the white one with clear glass really quite understated - until you notice the lightning second hand and hour markers. But only a proper nerd does so without close examination. Perhaps frequenters of this thread occasionally forget to aim off for what normal people would notice.

I love you guys.
lol8[1].gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads