The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stafa

stafa Senior member

Thanks for the info! As for the Milgauss, what I meant about it being rare was how infrequently you see it in the flesh as compared to the other Rolex models

Last edited: Apr 17, 2013

2. Warren G.

Warren G. Senior member

I miss my DJ too :cry:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm not a huge fan of PVD watch. But I got a really good deal on this watch. I was looking for a cheap decent looking quartz chronograph.

[​IMG]

It also came with a zulu/leather strap :D

[​IMG]

3. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

It's also been a crappy year for business, so not having the money, and also moving house, have helped keep me disciplined! I will continue to live vicariously through you gentlemen and increasing my baseline knowledge, for now!

Yes. I also think it's interesting at the price point; just a little quirkier that the DJ or DD, without going the sport route. I find the white one with clear glass really quite understated - until you notice the lightning second hand and hour markers. But only a proper nerd does so without close examination. Perhaps frequenters of this thread occasionally forget to aim off for what normal people would notice.

I love you guys. [​IMG]

4. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Thanks gents. rnguy, I credit you with getting me to try this watch on a strap in the first place.

5. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Overall, I think Watch Time does a better job of providing information than most other watch magazines. Although, I sometimes fine their numerical grading system a bit arbitrary. Still its entertaining.

Thanks for the kind words about my AP and Thor (yes its a he). Both are great companions (in addition to Mrs. Dino). Just kidding when I referred to him as a puppy, he's full grown and 150 lbs...you could almost throw a saddle on him and ride him to work when it snows. [​IMG] He is also a total chick magnet...women just seem to melt when they see this almost bear-like dog.
    Here is a slightly better photo of him after playing in the snow.
    [​IMG]

6. scottcw

scottcw Senior member

Are you referring to this Explorer? If so, I am thinking about blowing my budget for one. My alternatives are below it. All are about 1/3 of the price of the Explorer. The Omega is less than 1/5.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

i had that EXACT same one, only with an oyster bracelet. let us cry together.

this is the only pic of mine i can find. i am so angry with myself right now.

[​IMG]

8. no frills

no frills Senior member

I believe Dino and I are referring to this 114270:

[​IMG]

9. no frills

no frills Senior member

Dino944 - Thor is lovely! And that was a lovely wrist shot accompanying Thor!

10. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Hi Scott, yes that is an Explorer 1, but that is a vintage model. It could be a ref 1016 or another earlier model. Those are highly collectible. Its the same 36 mm size as the model I was discussing the 114270 (made from approximately 2002 through 2010). To keep things simple I will pretend that the one in your photo is definitely a ref 1016... a 1016 has no white gold trim around the luminous markings, the numbers are more rounded, it has an acrylic crystal (rather than sythetic saphire crystal), the movement is different, and the bracelet would be an older style Oyster bracelet or Jubillee bracelet with the hollow "Clam Shell" end links. It also would not have the Oyster Lock Clasp with safety latch. Still vintage watches like that have their own charm, and tend to be better insulated from market trends and they retain their value and sometimes go up in value. A 1980s Explorer 1 ref 1016 will sell for several thousand dollars more than when it was new...I believe in 1984 its MSRP was $890 and you could by them all day long with a 25% discount. I haven't followed the 1016 market recently but I'd imagine prices could be anywhere from $4,500 -$6,000 depending on condition. People do seem to like the vintage ones a lot. You can probably get a good condition 114270 for significantly less than the price of a 1016. But it depends on whether someone wants a vintage or relatively modern piece.

The others in your photos are good choices, but the only one I truly like in your photos is the Ex1. Good luck and happy shopping!

11. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

I am jealous. I love big bear-like dogs. I am allergic to dogs, so I have a Cavapoo. Ridiculous sounding? Absolutely. But he is a handsome little bugger, and a chick magnet indeed! Ted gets all the bitches.

[​IMG]

12. scottcw

scottcw Senior member

You are correct, it is a 1967 1016.

13. Allez Allez

Allez Allez Senior member

That's got to be a 1016 on top. This is the watch Ian Fleming wore, and is collectible in part for that reason. I have seen these for sale up to $9000, but I think Dino's estimated range is probably pretty typical.

The next two appear to be 1018's, and early ones based on their hands, although the second 1018 appears a bit older as it doesn't have a Tritium dial (as far as I can tell on iPhone). These are all nice watches IMO. But then I have a 1018 on my wrist right now.

14. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

I was looking into 1016's for a while, and the price really ranges from $4,000 to $9,000, depending on the condition and patination. I have seen some truly spectacular 1016s available. Remember, of course, to buy the seller, not the watch. I think that the 1016 is the only one I would choose of the ones that you listed. It is a spectacular watch, and you likely will not lose any money on it, provided you take good care of it.

15. scottcw

scottcw Senior member

They are both 1002's from 1964 and 1963 respectively. I'd love to get the Explorer, but, at $5,200, it's double what I would like to spend. The 1002's are around $1600 each.

I want one watch that I can wear with both casual and formal dress. Is that too much to ask?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.