1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

:D

2. no frills

no frills Senior member

Best ever Patek here: calendar function, exposed tourbillion, decorative chrono pushers and giant case size for everyone whining about Patek not making large watches.

Best of all, it's only $65. It puts my 3970 to shame, really.

[​IMG]

I would have taken a photo of the amazing movement via the display back but I was literally chased out of the store after taking this first pic. Welcome to Chinatown! Best deals ever on watches right on Canal St, NYC!

----------------------------

/****** Apparently I live on Instagram too - mainly timepieces, shoes, attire and the occasional cheeseburger. @no_frills_vc. ******/

1 person likes this.
  3. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

4. in stitches

lolz. i had a guy come in to the store today trying to sell a similar looking cartier.

5. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

Oh my lord. Those screw heads.

6. mimo

mimo Senior member

I remember that sweet Royal Oak you passed on a while back too - the ultra-rare Valjoux-look Shanghai quartz edition.

Alas, Frilly, that mix of Roman numerals and sticks will never pass the Dino-approval test. I guess that's why it's only $65. Was probably about a quarter mil until he'd been in and told them the error of their ways. I'm waiting for Lange to do the same with the Datograph; only a matter of time, surely.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  7. no frills

no frills Senior member

"Royal Oak homage" - Patek succumbed.

----------------------------

/****** Apparently I live on Instagram too - mainly timepieces, shoes, attire and the occasional cheeseburger. @no_frills_vc. ******/

1 person likes this.
  8. aleksandr

aleksandr Senior member

You would think for $65 they would at least get their roman numerals right. Seriously, IIII??? How hard is is it to copy from any other picture???

9. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

IIII is not unusual on watch dials...

10. apropos

apropos Senior member

Actually, "IIII" has always been canonical. It balances the dial.

[​IMG]

And thanks guys for all the kind comments re: my Reverso engraving. TBH I was a little afraid the first time I posted pics that there would be resounding/awkward silence because taste of course differs from person to person. Like for example I appreciate a Maloof rocking chair or a Emin piece but no way would I want one in my home.

But people appear to genuinely like it, and it makes me feel like a flower - a special flower. :embar:

Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
    3 people like this.
  11. in stitches

you are a special flower!

i personally have no preference regarding IIII v IV. either is fine imo.

12. Ranjeev

Ranjeev Senior member

I'll post some pics when I get a chance but my collection is: Tissot Le Locle; Oris XXL chrono; Oris Miles chrono; Tag Monaco chrono; Panerai 111; and IWC Portuguese.

Looking to add a Daytona and/or Zenith Chronomaster. The Daytona is well discussed but does anyone have any thoughts on the Zenith Chronomaster? I have a chance to get one at a pretty good price. Thanks.

13. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

[​IMG] Loved that comment Mimo. It put a huge smile on my face. You know me too well...a mix of sticks, Romans, and Arabic numerals = Epic Failure (even on a real watch) !!!!

For me it depends on the watch, whether the numerals are applied or printed, and font used.

1 person likes this.
  14. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

I guess my question is what are you looking to find out about Zenith? Were you looking for something sporty or dressy? Zenith makes a very good quality product. For several years roughly 1989-2000 Rolex used Zenith's El Primero movements, made significant changes to the movement and then used them in their Daytonas (the current Daytona's use and in house movement) . I like some of the Zeniths and you can usually get them at a significant discount. The Chronomaster is a dressier looking chronograph than a Daytona, and gives you a moon phase and date. However, I find the Chronomaster's dial a bit busy and prefer some of their other models, particularly some of their vintage designs from the 70s. If given a choice between a Daytona and a Chronomaster, I would choose the Daytona. The Chronomaster just isn't my taste, but that's purely subjective. If you are considering one of the open dial Chronomasters then IMHO its not contest Daytona all the way. I'm not a fan of their partially open dial watches. I don't need a very dressy watch all that often, so something that's a bit sporty, but which I can still wear with a suit would probably get more wrist time from me. Both have great movements, it just depends what you are looking for. If you like both the Daytona and the Chronomaster both are different enough that you could own each and it would not be redundant.

15. in stitches

yes, that is a better way to say it. i meant in a vacuum i am fine with either one as long as its used will within the context of the dial as a whole. :cheers:

16. Steel28

Steel28 Senior member

no more Panerai for now, sold my 111 and got Sub-C.

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  17. in stitches

18. Steel28

Steel28 Senior member

thanks!

19. A Guy from Shanghai

A Guy from Shanghai Senior member

20. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

Very nice Steel! Looks like you are driving a VW? Steering where and mirror defrosters are a give away. If it is an Audi, strike it up to VAG using similar parts on all of their cars now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.