Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Unfortunate as well. I am not surprised though. TPP has become incredibly big, and I have noticed more and more frequently that it is a bit of a platform for advertisements and press releases.

2. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

I find the Milgauss oddly pretty, in an understated, purposeful kind of way. The lack of a bezel makes it a but more subtle, and unless you get the green glass, there's nothing but the little detail of the second hand to make it at all unusual.

As a steel dress watch that's rugged (and anti- magnetic!), it seems like a pretty good option.

3. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

You down with TPP??/ Yeah, you know me!

I used to post on the purists way back when. Way before it was "pro" anything, when people like Lord Arran used to go there and shoot the shit, post pics etc, when the site owner (tom?) would send one of his own watches (Pateks etc) to get reviewed by posters. But then they started getting cozy with watchmakers and you could tell where it was going. I remember when Roger DuBois came on the scene and everyone loved those funky cases he started with. Then he did those gaudy sport and diamond encrusted things, people called him out for it and mgmt. at thepurists did not take kindly to that as he had become a "friend" of the site. On the one hand sites obviously need money to keep going but on the other, it seems that once that money starts coming in, the number one priority is how to increase the inflows, not how to make a better forum.

4. ExhibitA

ExhibitA Senior member

Sounds like the Explorer 39mm would be perfect. It's understated and very nice on the wrist.

5. Flake

Flake Senior member

I haven't posted there in years. Barely even lurk anymore. Was more collegial and informative back when Dr Mao was actively coordinating/running the place. It turned from a friendly coffee shop where you could learn from some knowledgable folks ( and a few characters), discuss the latest changes at Breguet or the newest models from PP, and congratulate Anthony on getting his rare RM9, to becoming more of a shopping mall filled with strangers.

6. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

read that tale of the stable boy. #WTF?

7. Laurens

Laurens Senior member

Just took this shot of my vintage Seiko diver:

[​IMG]

Behind the scenes of my ghetto rig:

[​IMG]

8. Quarks

Quarks Senior member

Wow. This is shocking. I am an avid watch collector and have been following thepurists since Dr. Thomas Mao's days.
    SJX is well known in the community and when he began, he began humbly as a young boy who shared a genuine passion for timepieces.
    I have followed the website and the moderators on and off, and have witnessed how the site 'prospered' and management changed over the 10 years. People come and go. The founders decidedly over the years took the backseat role. My last straw was when they removed FP Journe from the relatively new watchprosite forum at the time. I never frequent the site like how I used to, maybe once every 3-4 months. The moderator then of FPJ (who was doing a fantastic job voluntarily because of his immense passion and respect for his timepieces crafted exquisitely by Monsieur Journe) moved himself to TZ, and currently, doing a marvellous job there.

The abrupt departure of SJX is shocking. Obviously, there is more to that story in parallel to the tale of the stable boy who became a knight.
    All the best to him, deep down, to those who have been following thepurists, knows the immense contribution and influence SJX has made during his time in the watch community. My respect and condolences to SJX. The community has yet again, lost one of the true knights in this vicious and corporate world. Thepurists has indeed lost its mirrior finish, consumed by its own reflection on how it used to be.

9. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

laurens, that rig is somethin else man. well done. nice watch too.

10. Flake

Flake Senior member

I witnessed a similar implosion a few years back at MTBR. Also as a result of advertisers taking control of editorial content.

11. no frills

no frills Senior member

Vote here for the Explorer I. My 114270 is 36mm and I think it's perfect. Just took it with me for a week-long trip to Cancun filled with sun, sea water, sand, chlorinated pool water, sunscreen, two vomiting kids and the watch withstood all that and asked what else I could throw at it. Not a single ding or blemish on it that couldn't be washed off with soap and water at the end of a long day. Love it.

12. stafa

stafa Senior member

The Milgauss is an interesting piece (and very rare for a Rolex), but the second hand and the color of the markers have always thrown me off.
    I was thinking of staying with the 36mm. I have a 6.5 inch wrist and to me, the watch is almost too simple for it to look good at 39mm (don't know if that makes sense)
    Yeah 36mm is a good size to me, and both the Explorer and Datejust are that size. I feel both can take that sort of abuse, but some days I feel I would prefer the slightly dressier appearance of the Datejust, and the other days I feel like going with the Explorer 1 as it isn't as ubiquitous as the DJ. Or maybe I should find another piece that speaks to me [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 16, 2013

13. ExhibitA

ExhibitA Senior member

It's really a crux. I looked into the Omega line, Fortis, Brieitling and then got stuck on Rolex. When I purchased my first luxe watch it took a year or so to narrow down what I needed. It was really a tough decision. The Milgauss was on my list as well, but the deterrent was the Omega version, which was very similar and had a higher gauss rating for the Rolex price point. The Explorer was perfect in my opinion at 39mm - very clean and I'd go as far as saying the almost "perfect" Rolex watch. The Explorer II felt a bit too sporty and at 42mm I felt it was a bit too large. I also was close to the DJII, I liked the price point, but it had more of a formal appeal to it. The GMTIIc stainless steel was the perfect match for me as I needed a second and possibly third time zone to track when traveling. I liked the polished links, which gave it a more dressed up look and at the same time the numbered bezel is a sporty touch. It was a long process to make a decision, but the GMT was best for me. It works at the bar, it works when traveling and it works in a business meeting.

[​IMG]

14. Kai

Kai Senior member

My favorite style of dress watch. Elegant, classic, timeless.

15. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

awesome Flake! :bigstar:

Last edited: Apr 16, 2013

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.