• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Ultimate "HARDCORE" Shoe Appreciation Thread (Bespoke only)

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes they are generally lighter and more delicate all round, the stiffeners at the instep are very strong though. The leather is top notch quality but it is does appear quite thin and you lack the support you would get from a full brogue. I have been using a horn but there is a little creasing at the heel, no big deal.. The leather is no thinner than that used on the other pair I have

I see you live in Hong Kong. Am I correct in presuming that you find these super light weight shoes to be very appropriate for your hot and muggy climate?

cdmoore1855

Reaction score
The fit is very good, I have had some small changes to the last of my G&G's so they also fit very well. These Clevs do feel a bit lighter than the G&G's but in terms of overall comfort there is not much between them

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That wasn't the plan, I think cleverley's in general are known to be lighter than their peers

hmmm..........Well I, for one, appreciate seeing some lighter weight shoes around here. I spend a good bit of time in hot humid climates and I appreciate a lightweight shoe for these environments.

It just makes me miserable to see the expats running around Dubai in their double soled, thick leather, brogued oxford uppers with multiple layers of leather. Not that they aren't great shoes for other climates. It seems that few people around SF seem to appreciate the value of a light weight shoe for the right environment.

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

hmmm..........Well I, for one, appreciate seeing some lighter weight shoes around here. I spend a good bit of time in hot humid climates and I appreciate a lightweight shoe for these environments.

It just makes me miserable to see the expats running around Dubai in their double soled, thick leather, brogued oxford uppers with multiple layers of leather. Not that they aren't great shoes for other climates. It seems that few people around SF seem to appreciate the value of a light weight shoe for the right environment.

I appreciate the value of a lighter shoe, there are some great lightweight leathers - Santoni uses these is many occasions.

The leather used on this shoe seems to lend itself towards creasing, especially on the counter, which some have pointed out. As long as C is happy, and the fit works well, that's the most important.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Yes they are generally lighter and more delicate all round, the stiffeners at the instep are very strong though. The leather is top notch quality but it is does appear quite thin and you lack the support you would get from a full brogue. I have been using a horn but there is a little creasing at the heel, no big deal.. The leather is no thinner than that used on the other pair I have

Again, no criticism. Despite popular misconceptions, good kangaroo can rival the best calf for depth and beauty of the finish. And by weight 'roo is the strongest leather known to man.

And yet again no criticism, but the creasing at the heel would worry me. If a substantial heel stiffener was used...or one with the proper temper...and you use a shoe horn religiously, that should not happen. It cannot...will not...get better.

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

so true- could be a subconscious leather bang for buck thing, or an American aesthetic consistent with all those heavy Florsheim-type styles from the 50s and 60s; or because bigger heavier shoes look better on bigger heavier people. But with a sharp suit I'm starting to think single sole and sleek is best

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
cross post:

DSC_0029.jpg

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads