• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Tweed Appreciation Thread

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

A few ... didn't wanna hog the thread ... lol
Coming soon this fall ...
97a50c60.jpg

Argentinian?

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the look, but I'm not sold on wearing a scarf without some sort of coat (not including a SC)

burningbright

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From an old Tweedgasm Free & Easy thread a couple years back. Probably more on the casual tip but still some interesting pieces:
9_Tweed1.jpg
9_Tweed2.jpg
9_Tweed3.jpg
9_Tweed4.jpg
9_Tweed5.jpg
9_Vest1.jpg
9_Vest2.jpg
I'll add these too, which I believe was also in the Jan. 2010 Garment Tweed issue. Probably my favorite issue I own. I'll see if I can get some scans to put up that haven't been seen yet.

Tweedy

Reaction score

Just a couple of the 100's of Harris Tweed images from my blog ...

Last edited:

LTM

Reaction score
What's your opinion of Bookster in terms of fit and construction? I might like to give them a go.

I am afraid that I am not really qualified enough re SF fit and construction expertise to say. Having said that I really like mine and have ordered another.
It has often been complimented by friends and colleagues, I also bought a pair of trousers and I really like them and am getting another pair also.
The website was easy to use and I did my best with my measurements from what I have learnt by lurking here. they give you plenty of options for tweaking the measurements. They say on their website that they have an extra inch waist suppression and I noticed it, but only because I am about 4kg heavier than usual. It has got me back on the bike!
The fabric is great on both jacket and trousers and the construction seems good but I am not experienced in the higher end brands often discussed here. Their website has a gallery of photos sent in by customers. I suspect I won't stop at two from them...

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here are mine as of now...I can use a Gun Club or Houndstooth, but other than that pretty set.

From left to right the fabrics are Breanish, W. Bill, W. Bill, London Lounge, London Lounge, W. Bill.

IMG_2430.jpg

IMG_2428.jpg

dasai

Reaction score

What's your opinion of Bookster in terms of fit and construction? I might like to give them a go.

I have a cap from Bookster (in linen), and have no complaints (but the sizing for their caps ever so slightly on the small side). The general consensus for their jackets is that they're good, with full canvassing, but very British in styling (padded shoulders, suppressed waist) and not exactly timely with delivery (I got my cap in autumn of last year after ordering at the beginning of summer). My biggest problem with them is that I can't quite find the right brown herringbone tweed from them – I want something that's neither too thin nor too heavy, too light nor too dark, and maybe with a little color in the weave, like the third from the left in Slewfoot's post, above. Unfortunately, none of their offerings are quite what I'm looking for. The recent addition of Magee Donegals is tempting, though; I just have to get over my worries that the lack of a pattern will be too "plain" for a tweed jacket.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads