• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chukka appreciation thread

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As a Chukka Lover, I wanted to post my different experiences with this versatile kind of boots, but I didn't find a general thread not related to specific brands, so I decided to create this Chukka Appreciation Thread where anybody could share their opinions and experiences. I own some different models, some of them in calf, some other in suede and crepe sole, so they qualify for the Desert Boot name, that I feel is a just a Chukka sub category.

HESCHUNG GENET

I will start with my recently acquired Heschung GENET during the current Barneys NY sale, that I bought with an incredible discount. This is a model that attracted my attention mostly due to their Norwegian stitch construction, perfect for the rainy weather of where I Live: Bogota, Colombia.

I did quite a research before placing my order, mostly related to the brand history, but more important to me, how they fit and their sizing. I read different opinions and I received some advice to make my decision, that was restrained to size availability during the sale. I checked and double checked different size charts, not only the official from the brand, but from different stores, that are not always the same.

I own different chukkas from Herring, Loake, Church's, Rider Boot, among others, sometimes 6.5 UK, some others 6 UK, 7.5 US or 7 US depending mostly on their last, but I would say that 6.5 UK / 7.5 US is my usual size. For the Heschung Genet I decided to downsize to 6 UK and they were on the spot. Their fit is quite similar to the Loake 026 last in 6.5 UK, even though the Heschung are a little bit wider on my feet.

My first impression: wonderful chukka boots!

673f47613b6462e5fd58493594023c0d.jpg

75f850eca6ca11ea7a44624a41bba97c.jpg

b11a412e91afc4b846bd9d0e948333b3.jpg

Built on the Odeon last with a very soft "Anycalf" leather and natural rubber soles, they were comfortable from the first moment, no need for a break-in time. Some of my Herring were very hard with my ankles, these were perfect. From Heschung: "Anilcalf leather comes from selected hides from French calves fed on their mother's milk, known as free-raised calves. It is an aniline full-grain leather with an ultra-natural finish, which develops an attractive patina over time, though it remains vulnerable to scratches".

I loved their very soft lining and their padded tongue that contributes to comfort, the boxing was impeccable as well as their ample and strong travel bags: certainly everything is top quality

Even though I liked the "noisette" (hazel) color, I found it a little dull, not what I had in mind or what the Barneys NY web page advertised as they looked more "reddish" and darker in color:

053dee216e0c82fd8ba1b4b3c4307e99.jpg

I knew that I wanted a more reddish color, with less yellow or orange hue, something that were close to what the color name implies...

cdfed536484142d5eaca28b4f006299d.jpg

But, how to get that hazelnut color, that is full of different hues including dark brown without getting to this color, as I already have the Loake PIMLICO in dark brown calf? As I like to experiment with my shoes and I really wanted a deeper color, I checked my shoe cream colors to decide what to apply on the top of it.

My first try was with Saphir Cognac, as it was the closest to the base color of a hazelnut: they changed a bit, but now they were very similar to the Herring Gosforth II tan grain... As I didn't want to have two pair of chukkas so similar in color, I decided to go more aggressively: I used "cordovan" color, as its base is like a mixture of dark red with a touch of black. As expected, the transformation was important, not only in the tone but in the nuances that are generated with light. I discovered that with very little brush this type of calf gets very shiny, as you can see with my final result:

ef61339fdf19082781c089677a58e3c8.jpg

Side by side:
Herring Goswoth II built on Loake 032 last, 6.5 UK.
Heschung Genet built on Odeon last, 6 UK

00ca64039b1d6a10981c40c2eb71e834.jpg

Now I feel that I have a very different Genet chukka boots, I hope you like them. :)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads