• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Tweed Appreciation Thread

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Hey, man, there's tweed, and then there's that stuff. It's not f*** you, it's f*** me!

Could have been the vibe I was after... :)

like these plains D

Really great selection, D. I think if I were to plot out 5 tweeds to keep as a permarotation, these would be them. Very, very nice.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

like these plains D

Could have been the vibe I was after... :)
Really great selection, D. I think if I were to plot out 5 tweeds to keep as a permarotation, these would be them. Very, very nice.

Glad you approve! As you can see, I'm a bit on the conservative/versatile side when it comes to sportcoats.

lonestarteacher

Reaction score
I

Although I would not strictly call these tweed, they are similar to the fancy woven welsh tweeds.
Most of these however are french vintage suits, they did some amazing fancy wool weaves : )

I've always been a fan of these Welsh as I would call them "sheep-herder's sundaywares". I just don't think that one of these in their current emphasis on browns would add a great deal to my wardrobe.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This olive-on-green windowpane tweed suit from Polo is at auction ending this evening:

It's a 38R.

I am the seller.

I have a fresh consignment of smashing Polo MTM tweeds in a 44 just in but not yet listed...contact me for details.

Last edited:

Fred H.

Reaction score
At the moment, all I have at home are my two vintage Harris Tweed SCs. Everything else is still in cold storage. The HT jackets are so tough that even the most aggressive moths are repulsed!

TauKappaEpsilon

Reaction score
I just got this vintage tweed jacket off eBay. I thought it was brown but its actually a blue type color. It seems very old and it seems to be "hairier" then modern tweed. IT IS NOT TAILORED YET.

What do you all think? Is it garbage or can I make it work with some tailoring? I'm more concerned with the color then the fit. Thanks for the input everyone!

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^^ The fabric is fine.

Looks to have been made c. 1980.

It's a bit long on you, however.

Marcellionheart

Reaction score
Was vintage Harris Tweed much thicker than the stuff made today? I have one vintage Harris and one from last year from Bookster. The Bookster fabric is light and soft, whereas the vintage is tough as nails. Did something change? I appreciate the lighter for it's airiness, but wondering if they changed something in the formula or something.

Last edited:

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Was vintage Harris Tweed much thicker than the stuff made today? I have one vintage Harris and one from last year from Bookster. The Bookster fabric is light and soft, whereas the vintage is tough as nails. Did something change? I appreciate the lighter for it's airiness, but wondering if they changed something in the formula or something.

AFAIK "modern" Harris tweed is made in lighter weights and has a softer hand, in response to changing consumer demand.

Tweedy

Reaction score

Pre 1980's Harris Tweed tended to be much heavier & courser, from 1980's onwards many of the tweeds became alot lighter and softer. A 1960's / 70's Harris Tweed jacket will often say "Lightweight" on the label, but actually by todays terms would be considered quite a heavy weight Harris Tweed :)

Last edited:

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Here are mine as of now...I can use a Gun Club or Houndstooth, but other than that pretty set.
From left to right the fabrics are Breanish, W. Bill, W. Bill, London Lounge, London Lounge, W. Bill.
IMG_2430.jpg

IMG_2428.jpg

First two from the left :drool:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads