• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You're welcome.

Feel free to use the lexol cleaner on just about any discolouration. Just don't scrub. ..esp. wet leather. I usually use a square of hair-on sheepskin or a soft sponge.

jssdc

Reaction score
Followed the advice in the OP and I'm not 100% sure on the results. I've ordered a better horsehair brush and don't think a cut up cotton t-shirt is doing enough in terms of the shine.

Shoes are maybe 2 months old and have been worn 5 times. The image quality and light isn't great so they look a bit duller than they actually are. But still not great.

Not sure what your process was but a pretty common early mistake seems to be using too much polish (or cream or whatever else) which will make it a lot harder to get a good shine. A good piece of advice that's been repeated on this thread a bunch of times it that less is more when it comes to shoe care.

If you've got reno or something like that it might take some of the excess wax or cream off and help you get a smoother finish. Otherwise I see lots of brushing/buffing in your future.

Reaction score
Yeah it's definitely a lot of practice. At least I've got the right products now. Renovateur has made a real difference already in terms of the condition of the shoes. Will invest in better brushes and clothes.

jssdc

Reaction score
Don't put too much faith in the Reno. I like it more than some folks (mainly as a cleaner and occasional conditioner) but you still want to use an actual dedicated conditioner every so often. I've used Lexol and creme universelle (both fine) and plan to try Glen Karen at some point as well.

Beach Bum

Reaction score
Spent some time shining shoes last night during the last few NCAA games. Here are some pics. The split toe is a Santoni Gordon and the oxfords are Santoni Quentin.

I used renovateur; then Collonil 1909 mid-brown cream; followed by saphir wax in mid-brown for both as well as tobacco on the tip of the Quentins.

I did 3 rounds of (minor amounts of) wax with a drop of water in between for buffing. I love the way the look. I will say that I still can't get a mirror shine, any advice? Do I need a few more rounds of wax & water drops? Got to love great looking shoes!!

Reaction score
Don't put too much faith in the Reno. I like it more than some folks (mainly as a cleaner and occasional conditioner) but you still want to use an actual dedicated conditioner every so often. I've used Lexol and creme universelle (both fine) and plan to try Glen Karen at some point as well.

I ordered some lexol conditioner a couple of weeks ago and it still hasn't arrived.

I asked for recommendation for brushes and cloths a couple of pages back and I think it got missed

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Shoe leather cracking can occur for other reasons than dryness. It can even happen in the presence of too much conditioner.

But veg tanned leather and belt leather can dry out...and once it gets to the point of cracking it is, as Rider said, pretty much dead.

And once red rot sets in the leather will virtually crumble if handled roughly.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Not sure what your process was but a pretty common early mistake seems to be using too much polish (or cream or whatever else) which will make it a lot harder to get a good shine.  A good piece of advice that's been repeated on this thread a bunch of times it that less is more when it comes to shoe care.  

If you've got reno or something like that it might take some of the excess wax or cream off and help you get a smoother finish. Otherwise I see lots of brushing/buffing in your future.

People I have come across that are trying to get their shoes too a high shine are terrified of hurting them and use too little. It goes both ways and It all comes down to practice. There are very few variables to control and your shoes aren't going to explode by changing one for a second to see if you make progress. Brushes and clothes have absolutely ZERO to do with it. I can probably get a mirror shine with an old piece of shoelace in a pitch black room. It is all about feel.

RIDER

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

People I have come across that are trying to get their shoes too a high shine are terrified of hurting them and use too little. It goes both ways and It all comes down to practice. There are very few variables to control and your shoes aren't going to explode by changing one for a second to see if you make progress. Brushes and clothes have absolutely ZERO to do with it. I can probably get a mirror shine with an old piece of shoelace in a pitch black room. It is all about feel.

Actually, I've always tried to figure out why so many here seem to be interested in an all-over glass type finish......it's not good for a better leather to have so much build up on it.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you don't want a glassy shine to your shoes and want a 'minimal' kit for caring for them, would it be a good idea simply to stick with shoe cream, a couple of brushes and a cloth? I'm working on the principle that 'simplicity is genius'.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

It's true. I stick to the toe and heel. That's it.

+1

If you don't want a glassy shine to your shoes and want a 'minimal' kit for caring for them, would it be a good idea simply to stick with shoe cream, a couple of brushes and a cloth? I'm working on the principle that 'simplicity is genius'.

Without a doubt. If you want clean looking, satin-ish finish shoes then that is really all you need. You can put one coat of wax on your shoes for protection and not have to worry about them looking like mirrors. It take many coats for that type of finish.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Staff online

Forum statistics