• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

When you posted that on the Alden thread, I googled it and I couldn't find anything on it. I was surprised. I have never had an Indy on the neocork. But I'm curious for the answer.

I don't know for sure but if it is anything like the old "neocork," it is a somewhat spongy neoprene with bits of cork mixed it to the originating slurry. I've used it but never saw the advantage of it--it wears quicker than denser neoprene and the cork doesn't do anything that I can see. Maybe the cork makes the sole lighter. But the old ones were thicker anyway...maybe to compensate for the increase wear.

kwhitelaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone here could tell me about Alden's Neo-cork sole? I asked over there, but didn't get a response. It would also be nice to get an unbiased one as well. I have no clue what the neo-cork sole is really made of (a composite of neoprene and leather from what I read?) and any info is hard to find. I am thinking about a pair of indy's down the road. A more technical answer is fine by me (probably preferred).

Also, would it be ill advised to get a topy on the Indy's (or any other shoe really) and just perpetually get that changed, as opposed to changing the whole sole? I've yet to find a cobbler I trust in my city, and shipping out a pair of boots back to alden or AE, would be around $220+, which is hard to justify on these brands. I don't mind the look and feel of the topy.

cant comment about the makeup of the sole itself, but I own a pair of jcrew indys with the neocork sole. didnt really notice any odd wear on the sole (versus all the other aldens I have with other type soles), but I did add a topy when I was at my cobbler replacing the heel that had worn down..

I'm happy with the topy on mine (along with cats paw heel)

Reaction score
This has probably been covered but the thread is 568 pages long and I can't find a specific answer via the search.

What is the recommended brush to go with for leather boots and shoes? looking to use it to remove dirt and will use a cloth for the next few steps. I take it a large oval brush is the way to go? if someone can point my in the right direction it would save me endlessly looking at brushes without knowing which one will do the job the best. Seems silly to spend £300 on a pair of boots or shoes and the not look after them properly.

Thanks very much.

lostintranslation

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Someone recommended that I post my problem in this thread (thanks for the suggestion!).

I have an excellent pair of well-loved Carmina chelsea boots. They're great boots, but have developed this harsh pebbly texture on the leather as well as some small pits. I'm not sure what's caused these blemishes, but I'm guessing it has something to do with the winter (I've worn them in the salty winter sleet a few times).

Here are some photos; please ignore the discoloration - they're still a little wet.

I initially thought it was some sort of salt buildup, and have used saddle soap to clean the affected area. However, the pebbly texture still remains and I'm afraid to agitate the area more. I'm not sure if the leather there has gotten really weak and is about to tear or something, so I don't want to be overly-abrasive with it.. For the record, I use Saphir's products to condition/shine them.

Has anybody seen this happen before? Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Burton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey guys,

Someone recommended that I post my problem in this thread (thanks for the suggestion!).

I have an excellent pair of well-loved Carmina chelsea boots. They're great boots, but have developed this harsh pebbly texture on the leather as well as some small pits. I'm not sure what's caused these blemishes, but I'm guessing it has something to do with the winter (I've worn them in the salty winter sleet a few times).

Here are some photos; please ignore the discoloration - they're still a little wet.

I initially thought it was some sort of salt buildup, and have used saddle soap to clean the affected area. However, the pebbly texture still remains and I'm afraid to agitate the area more. I'm not sure if the leather there has gotten really weak and is about to tear or something, so I don't want to be overly-abrasive with it.. For the record, I use Saphir's products to condition/shine them.

Has anybody seen this happen before? Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Wow. I have never seen anything like that. I am not sure that using saddle soap was a good idea--though I am also not sure it would have caused that. Most folks here would recommend throwing that away. I would take them to a cobbler. I was caught in a huge downpour in a pair of Carminas, and had to walk over a mile in wet and muddy terrain, and what your exhibiting did not happen to me. They need professional help.

Last edited:

JDMills

Reaction score
Honestly its just raised leather from salt stains, my beaters have it, you could try pressing it down with the back of a spoon but it might not help.

lostintranslation

Reaction score

Wow. I have never seen anything like that. I am not sure that using saddle soap was a good idea--though I am also not sure it would have caused that. Most folks here would recommend throwing that away. I would take them to a cobbler. I was caught in a huge downpour in a pair of Carminas, and had to walk over a mile in wet and muddy terrain, and what your exhibiting did not happen to me. They need professional help.

Damn, seriously? I was recommended saddle soap by the owner of the shop that I purchased these from. How would you recommend getting out salt stains if not using saddle soap? I've used vinegar and water in the past before, and the combination didn't really seem effective.

Thanks for the thoughts! I'll take them to a cobbler and see what they can do.

lostintranslation

Reaction score

Honestly its just raised leather from salt stains, my beaters have it, you could try pressing it down with the back of a spoon but it might not help.

I'll give the spoon a shot - thanks! I'm a little disappointed that this happened to a pair of shoes that I paid this much for. I don't know if the salt where i live is especially corrosive or something, as I've never seen anything like this before. I'm thinking about picking up a pair of cordovan loafers. Hopefully they don't have the same problems as these...

Burton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Damn, seriously? I was recommended saddle soap by the owner of the shop that I purchased these from. How would you recommend getting out salt stains if not using saddle soap? I've used vinegar and water in the past before, and the combination didn't really seem effective.

Thanks for the thoughts! I'll take them to a cobbler and see what they can do.

I just use saphir renovateur and I wear swims. If I am wearing calf shoes in bad weather, I never go out without the swims.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Honestly its just raised leather from salt stains,.

This is the right answer.

Getting the shoes wet loosens and dissolves salts in the leather. And not just road salt but chromium salts from the tanning process. As the rainwater evaporates, moisture deep in the leather tends to move toward the dryer areas, carrying the salts with them.

If the shoe...if the leather...has an opaque "finish" on it, the salts accumulate below the finish because they cannot move through it. And it "blisters."

I don't think the saddle soap made any difference one way or the other. And while there may be newer products to address this issue, I've never seen it completely "healed" either.

--

Last edited:

nybz

Reaction score
I posted this in the Allen Edmonds thread earlier, but seems the talk of the deal going on there got it lost, and it may have been more appropriate here anyway. I was wondering everyones thoughts on the job I did burnishing the AE Nathans I got. They were walnut and I added some Saphir Mahogany, Saphir light brown, Meltonian dark brown, and some Allen edmonds black creme. Is it too much, too little, nice, or what can I do to make it better, I plan on waxing the shoe with a mirror finish on some of the toe cap.
Before:

After:

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

I posted this in the Allen Edmonds thread earlier, but seems the talk of the deal going on there got it lost, and it may have been more appropriate here anyway. I was wondering everyones thoughts on the job I did burnishing the AE Nathans I got. They were walnut and I added some Saphir Mahogany, Saphir light brown, Meltonian dark brown, and some Allen edmonds black creme. Is it too much, too little, nice, or what can I do to make it better, I plan on waxing the shoe with a mirror finish on some of the toe cap. Before:
I would only suggest that you try to make it a little less splotchy. I like the color, though. It looks like the finish has worn off from the top of the toes. Maybe get a bit more coverage in that area.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

This is the right answer.

Getting the shoes wet loosens and dissolves salts in the leather. And not just road salt but chromium salts from the tanning process. As the rainwater evaporates, moisture deep in the leather tends to move toward the dryer areas, carrying the salts with them.

If the shoe...if the leather...has an opaque "finish" on it, the salts accumulate below the finish because they cannot move through it. And it "blisters."

I don't think the saddle soap made any difference one way or the other. And while there may be newer products to address this issue, I've never seen it completely "healed" either.

--

I have seen doe severely distorted leather due to salt stains. Amazing really.

Nakedsnake

Reaction score
When you posted that on the Alden thread, I googled it and I couldn't find anything on it. I was surprised. I have never had an Indy on the neocork. But I'm curious for the answer.

I don't know for sure but if it is anything like the old "neocork," it is a somewhat spongy neoprene with bits of cork mixed it to the originating slurry. I've used it but never saw the advantage of it--it wears quicker than denser neoprene and the cork doesn't do anything that I can see. Maybe the cork makes the sole lighter. But the old ones were thicker anyway...maybe to compensate for the increase wear.

cant comment about the makeup of the sole itself, but I own a pair of jcrew indys with the neocork sole. didnt really notice any odd wear on the sole (versus all the other aldens I have with other type soles), but I did add a topy when I was at my cobbler replacing the heel that had worn down..

I'm happy with the topy on mine (along with cats paw heel)

Thanks for weighing guys, appreciate it. This has given me a much better idea of what to expect down the road. I will likely topy them, unless I find the neo-cork too heavy, then i'll replace with something else in time. I plan to continue my search to find out more info on this sole, and if I can come up with anything, I will be sure to post it here, for posterity.

benhour

Reaction score
Have your suede brogues been difficult to clean dirt magnets?
No not at all!!dry dirt most off the time can be easily cleaned using a suede eraser or suede brush!! for more protection use a nano protector(not only protect from lequid stains but it makes it a lot easier to clean dust !! hope i helped you a little bit

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads