**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. RIDER

RIDER Senior member

It's generally recommended to NOT use saddle soap on finished calfskin......it is far too alkaline. Besides, technology has rendered traditional saddle soap almost useless even in the tack business. There are far better options with a much higher glycerin content. Saddle soap has history on it's side, but most pro's avoid it.......and most brands have turned to a formula that is mostly rendered pig fat now. Anyway, the ph of saddle soap is usually around 9-10, and that is far too high for any productive results. Actually, when you use products that are that far off on the ph scale from the leather tanned for footwear (ph usually around 4-5, or acidic) it has a degrading effect over time.

Besides, ignoring all of that, there is a reason we all put horses on the tins - saddle soap is for tack, not shoes.

2. Munky

Munky Senior member

I wrote to Woly, in Germany. They confirm that both their shoe cream and their wax polish are turpentine free. That's a first, I think, for wax polish.

Although this theme is important to me, I am even beginning to bore myself...ZZzzzzz

3. David Copeland

David Copeland Senior member

Originally from Newport Beach - Now living in West
    What would you recommend for one of my leather briefcases:

[​IMG]

4. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

5. OzzyJones

OzzyJones Senior member

Now that's just mean! (I like it tho!)

6. laufer

laufer Senior member

Well how about one of these. maybe you can do it and then post before and after pictures. It would be nice to see the effectiveness of this cream. It claims that is good for cleaning and recoloring. I have no experience with this product. http://www.hangerproject.com/saphir-canadian-restorative-cream.html#.UcCXSJwcOt8

7. RIDER

RIDER Senior member

8. David Copeland

9. jd13jd13

jd13jd13 Senior member

So I emailed AE, asking them what the rational is there in using both, and they answered me that you'd only need to use one or the other. This contradicts what's written on their webpage
    but seems to agree with the general consensus here.

I also emailed Horween about how they would recommend caring for the Dublin leather ( assuming the Black McTavish is also made from Dublin, I emailed AE about that but did not get an answer) and will post as soon as they respond.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2013
  10. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

Thanks for being so proactive! I look forward to hearing what Horween has to say. As for AE's webpage having some contradictory information regarding shoe care, I'm sorry to say that this is not the first case of that.

11. docka

docka Senior member

Hi,

I'm new to shoe cleaning. From what I've gathered, this is simple and easy solution for shoe maintenance.

So basically:

1) Brush excess dirt with cloth
    2) Apply Saphir Reno
    3) Rub around the reno with cloth
    4) Apply corresponding AE premium polish color (walnut for walnut shoes, black for black shoes)
    5) Rub around the premium polish
    6) Use horse hair dauber for a finish touch and shine

By the way, where can I buy Saphir Reno? Didn't see any on amazon.

12. jd13jd13

jd13jd13 Senior member

No problem. By the way, you mentioned that the Natural and Cognac McTavish's are made from Dublin. Just wanted to know how did you find this out (not doubting you, just interested)?
    AE's page says this:
    But doesn't give anymore information besides for the fact that the cognac uses some sort of Horween leather.
    And while we are on the topic (which is a bit off topic for this thread, sorry), besides for the Shell, which I know is Horween, where does AE source their leathers?

13. David Copeland

CLICK HERE

ALSO: CLICK HERE

14. docka

docka Senior member

I presume stores in NYC carry it? Shipping is like 15 bucks for a 20 dollar product.

15. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

There is some deductive reasoning going on there. Horween's blog post on their Essex and Dublin leathers from 2011: http://horween.com/leathers/essex-and-dublin/ specifically says that the AE Rough Collection uses it, and the McTavish is part of the original line-up of the Rough Collection. In other words, I don't know what a lot of their current models in the collection are made of, and they actually won't divulge that information generally speaking. As for the Cognac Dublin, the Rapid City is made from the same leather, and they actually do say in the description for that shoe that it is Dublin: http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF6051_1_40000000001_-1

As I said above, they don't really divulge the source for most of their leathers, though you can make some educated guesses and use some deductive reasoning for a lot of it. The CEO did say over in the AE Appreciation Thread a while back that their main calfskin suppliers are from France and Germany, and their main leather sole provider is from Turkey, but that's not very specific. They also use JR Redenbach soles (mainly for their shell offerings) which is of course from Germany.