1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. glenjay

glenjay Well-Known Member

A good picture of the problem would help in the quality of advice, but: If it is hazy then it was probably too much water in that area. If it is more of a dull dead spot, it was probably too much wax. In either case you will probably have to remove a number of layers and start over.

2. Van Veen

Van Veen Well-Known Member

It is more of a rough spot. Basically it has the same texture as the rest of the shoe (cream polish only) rather than the smoother texture of the rest of the toe cap. I'll post a picture when I get home. (I am nowhere near a mirror shine yet. This is my first try.)

What is the best way to remove wax in this situation?

3. Crat

Crat Well-Known Member

Thats what you get for wearing bad weather shoes in the sun :laugh:

4. Van Veen

Here it is. Don't know how it got this bad. I'm guessing too much water, and that I rubbed the wax off since that was the spot where I started polishing. Or too much wax. Any thoughts? (Live and learn.)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
  5. glenjay

glenjay Well-Known Member

I would guess that it was too much water because of the discolored haze.

There are a number of ways to strip the wax down to start over:

Personally I use pure orange oil as a solvent for this type of thing, and just rub off the wax, but most people don't have that handy.

The cheapest way (which is also very messy) is to simply get the toe damp and brush it with a short bristle shoe brush.

You could clean the toe with some saddle soap to remove some of the wax.

You could use some Lexol leather cleaner, and rub briskly to remove some of the wax.

You could rub it down with some Renovateur, and by rub it down I mean with some pressure with the intention of removing the wax, no just applying the Renovator.

Or you could just use a small amount of RenoMat, using light pressure to remove just the layers of wax you have applied.

I have used all of these methods with some degree of success. In order of preference I would suggest:

Orange Oil
    RenoMat
    Renovateur
    Water and Brush
    Lexol leather cleaner
    Saddle Soap

You will want to redo both shoes to keep the look even. You may also want to add a little conditioning to the leather to replace the oils that were removed by the cleaning agent (with the exception of Renovateur with already includes Mink oil).

I'm sure other members have preferred ways of removing excess wax.

4 people like this.
  6. Van Veen

Thanks. I haven't even started adding wax to the to the other shoe, just the cream. I have Renovateur on hand, so I will try that and see if it takes enough wax off.

The method I'm using is:
    - use an old t-shirt
    - dip in wax (just a small dab)
    - dip in water
    - apply to shoe

So, if I am seeing any water droplets on the shoe once I start applying, that means I am using too much water, right? (I think once I realized this, it was too late.)

7. Oli2012

Oli2012 Well-Known Member

Anyone know any brands that sell suede protector that comes in an aerosol can?

8. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

Renovatuer is a quick and dirty way to bring your shoes back to life. Essentially the solvents in it bring life back into the waxes that are already on the shoes that have dried out (solvents evaporating). Colored cream adds some pigment and allows for interesting patina over time. It really all comes down to preference though.

1 person likes this.
  9. kentyman

kentyman Well-Known Member

A lot of people swear by Tarrago Nano Protector Spray. You can get it for cheap off of eBay.

[​IMG]

10. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Well-Known Member

Just received my GlenKaren products and I haven't used them yet. At this point, I don't know whether to use them on my shoes or spread then on my toast - they really do smell that good and I'm being honest here.

When I have a chance to use them, I'll post some thoughts but in the meantime, they're making me hungry.

3 people like this.
  11. chogall

chogall Well-Known Member

Use Nutella in conjunction with GK products on your toast. YUM!!!

12. JezeC

JezeC Well-Known Member

is it excessive to reno/color polish my AE every month if I'm wearing it 2 or 3x a week (every other work day). it comes out to be about 10 wears before using reno/color polish.

13. patrickBOOTH

No hard/fast rules. You have to go with your gut then, again I don't recommend soley using reno as a conditioning agent. I would say using reno on all areas that don't flex every handful of wearings is fine, but I think using Lexol sparingly on the vamp every 10 wearings ins't a bad idea.

14. JezeC

JezeC Well-Known Member

Hey Pat,

I was under the assumption that reno actually helps the part of the shoe where it bends since it will cover up the creases. Reno actually doesn't alleviate the crease area?

15. patrickBOOTH

The only thing that can alleviate where the shoe creases is a shoe tree.

16. JezeC

JezeC Well-Known Member

can you explain what does excessive reno do to shoe creases? Thanks.

17. patrickBOOTH

There's just a lot of solvents in it and it doesn't do very much in terms of real conditioning, which is what you really need on creases. If you search back in this thread I gave several examples of my collection of shoes that I have had nothing but bad experiences with using reno as a conditioner. Ultimately I feel that it is a solvent heavy polish. What does all of this mean? Cracked leather.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
  18. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Well-Known Member

Basically, too much of anything is bad for the shoe.

19. chogall

chogall Well-Known Member

Really depends on how much you walk and under what kind of condition...

Use your best judgement IMO. Reno if brushing and wet-towel wiping can't salvage the look.

p.s., Reno is a 2-in-1 cleaner/conditioner/polish. I love using it to smooth out rough polished surfaces.

20. patrickBOOTH

Yeah, I feel like it really brings out a dulling mirror shine and it is great in between proper polishing session to restore the oils to the wax already on the shoe, but using it as a conditioner is not a good move in my experience and based just on the behavior of the product.