• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would very much like to hear a line of reasoning that calls for c/c then saddle soap. I doubt that doing this once a year would cause any harm to a heavy waxy leather but then again why??? If had McTavs. I would wipe w/ damp towel then brush /buff then occasionally rub in a little lexol cond

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I just don't like the idea of mixing water with anything to create a lather for leather. Seems counter productive.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
For something waxy why not just use a rag and some obaneuf's leather oil? Conditioners themselves can be good for loosening dirt and such on leather. Also, Lexol Neatsfoot would be a good option.

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There seems to be around 3 groups of people when it comes to Saddle Soap:

1. Those who are scared to death of it, and fear that it will disintegrate their shoes.
  2. Those who recognize it's value for some applications and leathers, but believe it to be generally overkill and unnecessary for dress shoes (or that there are simply more purpose-built products).
  3. Those who embrace it and use it regularly.

I tend to fall into the second group myself. I do find it interesting that one of the more respected shoe experts out there (Justin Fitzpatrick of The Shoe Snob), used it regularly before developing his own line of shoe products just as glenjay has done.

See his two posts here: http://www.theshoesnobblog.com/search?q=Saddle+Soap

glenjay

Reaction score

Thanks for the response, it was that in part your post that lead me to ask my question.
For further clarification.You pointed out that in theory, saddle soap's oils would balance out the sulfides and lubricate the shoes, and is probably safe to use on thicker leather (like that of the McTavish). Also, that it would be a quicker and cheaper way to keep shoes clean. I would like to know, if you where to use C/C anyways, would you not get the cleaning and lubricating effect anyways?
AE recomends using first C/C and then SS. Is it necessary to use the SS? And what did you mean by quick and cheap?

Another question, AE doesn't say to use polish on McTav's. I have a black pair, and it has contrast stitching, should I be using any polish?

I would have to agree with the consensus here that there would be no reason to use both saddle soap and an additional cleaner/conditioner.

In regard to saddle soap being quicker and cheaper, I would say the a tin of saddle soap costs less than most cleaner/conditioner products. Quicker is probably more relevant to whatever cleaning process you are used to. That being said, saddle soap will not destroy your shoes, but there are better solutions for cleaning your shoes. I would also concur that shoes should not need to be cleaned with a cleaner very often (exposure to public floor level urinals excluded).

As far as polish: You could use a neutral polish if you like. A colored polish may tint the contrast stitching, but it would not hide it, so that is still an option.

David Copeland

Reaction score
If had McTavs. I would wipe w/ damp towel then brush /buff then occasionally rub in a little lexol cond

Forgive me for asking, but after searching previous posts for what I thought you had mentioned cleaning a leather briefcase with Lexol, which came out very nice - I have one I'd like to clean up too. Do you have any photos or tips?

David

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just don't like the idea of mixing water with anything to create a lather for leather. Seems counter productive.

What do you use to wash suede?

There seems to be around 3 groups of people when it comes to Saddle Soap:

1. Those who are scared to death of it, and fear that it will disintegrate their shoes.
  2. Those who recognize it's value for some applications and leathers, but believe it to be generally overkill and unnecessary for dress shoes (or that there are simply more purpose-built products).
  3. Those who embrace it and use it regularly.

I tend to fall into the second group myself. I do find it interesting that one of the more respected shoe experts out there (Justin Fitzpatrick of The Shoe Snob), used it regularly before developing his own line of shoe products just as glenjay has done.

See his two posts here: http://www.theshoesnobblog.com/search?q=Saddle+Soap

Saint Crispin recommends Saddle Soap as well. But then at the same time they also recommended Kiwi polishes and Saphir m'dor creams.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

BCer

Reaction score

I too was very confused about the whole water thing. So I asked Allen Edmonds on their site how to use their Saddle Soap. Here's their answer: Thank you for your interest in Allen Edmonds.

Our Saddle Soap is a paste or wax-like substance, similar in comparison to our Carnauba Wax. This can be applied and wiped off on its own, no water necessary, using a cloth or dauber.

benhour

Reaction score
Once(when i was 18) for cleaning my suede shoes I used TIDE ( is for washing cloths by hand) with pretty amazing results ! After leaving them dry and brushed them they looked like new! But I don't think I ll do it again hahahha ! Most o the time I use the specific rubber and the brush! When I go for deep cleaning I use omni from saphir

Last edited:

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I too was very confused about the whole water thing. So I asked Allen Edmonds on their site how to use their Saddle Soap. Here's their answer: Thank you for your interest in Allen Edmonds.

Our Saddle Soap is a paste or wax-like substance, similar in comparison to our Carnauba Wax. This can be applied and wiped off on its own, no water necessary, using a cloth or dauber.

patch[1].gif

That sounds strange...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads