• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official CELINE thread

HommeBoy007

Reaction score
zedibee - unfortunately, didn't pick up anything this time. may have just been the selection of a sweater and dad jeans, that didn't rock it for me (or I didn't fit well in them). i think i overdid dior and slp, so i don't have many (or any!) holes in my wardrobe.

Do you own leather jackets from Dior and SLP?

zebidee

Reaction score
zedibee - unfortunately, didn't pick up anything this time. may have just been the selection of a sweater and dad jeans, that didn't rock it for me (or I didn't fit well in them). i think i overdid dior and slp, so i don't have many (or any!) holes in my wardrobe.
You need to try the jackets and coats instead. They remind me of my Hedi era DH pieces in regards to materials and tailoring. I have no holes to fill either but see it more like a ever growing collection. Do you agree? Got some great vintage DH Hedi pieces from a 2nd hand store during my stay in Paris, last week. Dirt cheap too and as good as new...!

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Crazy, I did not try any of the outerwear! They did seem to have a nice cut and construction at a glance.

I have Dior Homme made-in-france leather, and a bevy of DH suits and SLP blazers, so am pretty particular about the cut and construction. I'm attracted to some of the new Celine patterns, although the cuts look longer to me. (I go with 44C or court, short DH suits and 44 blazers for SLP, since they're already cropped.)

HommeBoy007

Reaction score
You need to try the jackets and coats instead. They remind me of my Hedi era DH pieces in regards to materials and tailoring. I have no holes to fill either but see it more like a ever growing collection. Do you agree? Got some great vintage DH Hedi pieces from a 2nd hand store during my stay in Paris, last week. Dirt cheap too and as good as new...!

Lucky you! Are you aware of the collections they’re from? I just stumbled across a nice DH Hedi-era knit (unsure of season) a few weeks ago and had to purchase it... there are still so many gems to find from those years.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On a related note, all the pieces from Celine were made in Italy, which to me was a good sign, as the lack of country of origin on the website and the slightly lower price point for most of the RTW made me question it.

Yes - DH knits were the best; still a step up from Hedi-era SLP IME. It might be somewhat unfair to compare Hedi-era items between DH and SLP or Celine, since Dior commands a slightly higher price point. I'd estimate about 20%+.

GG Allin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is going to be a super-random question, but what do you guys think of Givenchy in terms of *quality*? This was a brand I've always despised, but for some reason I'm really diggign the tailoring from FW.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I associate them with Balenciaga and MMM, so probably about on par with or a half step below Celine and Saint Laurent for the most part.

I recall people mentioning on other threads that they all source from the same factories in Italy, but occasionally companies such as Dior or Chanel will have their own factory or couture providers. Hermes is another one which is separate and all MIF.

GG Allin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I associate them with Balenciaga and MMM, so probably about on par with or a half step below Celine and Saint Laurent for the most part.

I recall people mentioning on other threads that they all source from the same factories in Italy, but occasionally companies such as Dior or Chanel will have their own factory or couture providers. Hermes is another one which is separate and all MIF.
Yeah, I guess that's about how I reckoned Givenchy would be rated. I might drop into the London store and see firsthand what I think. I'm really hoping there's some good footwear at the Celine store.

zebidee

Reaction score
Lucky you! Are you aware of the collections they’re from? I just stumbled across a nice DH Hedi-era knit (unsure of season) a few weeks ago and had to purchase it... there are still so many gems to find from those years.
I got two DH jackets. One basic SS16 in black and an amazing glittery wool/polyester jacket from his last FW07 season. Timeless gems and super skinny.

zebidee

Reaction score
On a related note, all the pieces from Celine were made in Italy, which to me was a good sign, as the lack of country of origin on the website and the slightly lower price point for most of the RTW made me question it.

Yes - DH knits were the best; still a step up from Hedi-era SLP IME. It might be somewhat unfair to compare Hedi-era items between DH and SLP or Celine, since Dior commands a slightly higher price point. I'd estimate about 20%+.
The denim is made in japan, though. At least the pieces I have come across, so far.

HommeBoy007

Reaction score

Really? I’ve had a few *thinner* Hedi-era DH knits and they seemed to snag and tear somewhat easily. I’ve never owned any of the more substantial knits from Hedi’s time there and I still have my eye on a few knits from his time at SLP.

Does Dior still command a higher price point? I am under the impression that a pair that most RTW and footwear is priced similarly to offerings from Saint Laurent, Celine and a few other brands.

bencap

Reaction score
There is a good interview with Slimane in Vogue Paris this month (August). He talks a lot about the necessity of "reframing" the brand Celine - which I think is his way of saying his goal is to make Celine relevant for more consumers (outside of bourgeois fashion circles like it was under Philo and predecessors). This "reframing" is the reason he cites for creating the menswear line and launching the perfumes.

There were some other interesting sections, but what I mention here seemed to be the overarching message, he came back to the need to reframe (or reposition) several times in the interview.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads