• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MBrianT

Reaction score
I love Suitsupply's suits and jackets, but not their shirts - the cut is absolutely horrible. Also I don't think their shirts are worth it at current pricing, especially their MTM program costs as much as bespoke shirts made in Stockholm. You can get some single piece collar shirts from Spier & Mackay for half the price
Do you have a link to the S&M shirts? I don’t see any dress shirts with that type of collar on their site.

davidazio

Reaction score
I love Suitsupply's suits and jackets, but not their shirts - the cut is absolutely horrible. Also I don't think their shirts are worth it at current pricing, especially their MTM program costs as much as bespoke shirts made in Stockholm. You can get some single piece collar shirts from Spier & Mackay for half the price

I agree with this. Their suits and jackets are great and even with the higher price still feel like good value for money. The shirts on the other hand are not as well made, materials are very hit and miss and often feel cheap, and are expensive vs other options out there.

I really like Kamakura Shirts. They are less expensive than suitsupply, come in lots of styles and are of much higher quality. If you are on a budget Charles Tyrwhitt might also be a good option, good workhorse shirts

MBrianT

Reaction score
thank you!
A while back I asked about these high collar styles and was told that its only custom, so perhaps this changed by now :D

What about the quality of suitsupply shirts?
I would love to get that style of shirt but $100+ is quite pricey for someone like me who is used to paying $40-50 for a shirt haha, however I cant really find any other brand that offers the same for less so perhaps its worth it after all..? Is the shirt meant to be worn casually due to the fabric?

What about the quality/longevity?
I have about 15-20 SS shirts. With the exception of linen one (intentional) and one other, their fit works well for me. No alterations. The new oldest one I have is about 5 years old and still looks good.

G.Gatz

Reaction score
I agree with this. Their suits and jackets are great and even with the higher price still feel like good value for money. The shirts on the other hand are not as well made, materials are very hit and miss and often feel cheap, and are expensive vs other options out there.

I really like Kamakura Shirts. They are less expensive than suitsupply, come in lots of styles and are of much higher quality. If you are on a budget Charles Tyrwhitt might also be a good option, good workhorse shirts
I'm now curious to hear your view on their knitwear collection

davidazio

Reaction score
I'm now curious to hear your view on their knitwear collection

From Suitsupply or Kamakura? I have a few recent cashmere knits from suitsupply which are good value for money, a lot better than previous years, but they are very slim (I had to take two sizes up) and there is still better stuff out there at a similar price level.

Re: Kamakura I was recently in Tokyo and stopped by their Ginza shop, and saw they now had a clothing line with blazers, trousers, knitwear, etc... I didn't pay particularly close attention, it looked OK but not great, and from what I can see on the website similarly to Suitsupply there are probably better options out there at the same price.

G.Gatz

Reaction score
From Suitsupply or Kamakura? I have a few recent cashmere knits from suitsupply which are good value for money, a lot better than previous years, but they are very slim (I had to take two sizes up) and there is still better stuff out there at a similar price level.

Re: Kamakura I was recently in Tokyo and stopped by their Ginza shop, and saw they now had a clothing line with blazers, trousers, knitwear, etc... I didn't pay particularly close attention, it looked OK but not great, and from what I can see on the website similarly to Suitsupply there are probably better options out there at the same price.
My bad, should have clarified I was asking for your thoughts on knitwear from Suitsupply.

What about your experience with Suitsupply's merino wool and cotton/silk knitwear? Like their long sleeve polo, buttonless polo, crewnecks, etc.

davidazio

Reaction score
My bad, should have clarified I was asking for your thoughts on knitwear from Suitsupply.

What about your experience with Suitsupply's merino wool and cotton/silk knitwear? Like their long sleeve polo, buttonless polo, crewnecks, etc.

I do not own any so cannot speak to their actual quality or longevity, but every time I see the stuff in store - especially the crew necks - it leaves a positive impression. My brother has a buttonless polo from last season which is nice. I have just taken a quick look at the website and actually now want to order a few of the summer knits 😅

The merino stuff is the only one I would personally stay away from, as it always feels relatively thin and cheap.

tilesomoole

Reaction score

I own this year's cotton-silk-cashmere buttonless polo and zip-through merino sweater. The polo material is very luxe. It's super soft and comfortable. Time will tell, but it doesn't seem too durable - like it may pill pretty rapidly. No evidence of it yet, though.

For me, the drawback is the sizing. The fit of their jackets is perfect for me (46 havana / lazio fits perfectly with a slight lowering of the collar to take care of the collar roll I consistently get.) Their shirts and, unfortunately, knitwear are a little baggy in the waist when the shoulders fit, and tight in the chest if the waist fits properly.

With the polo, I trried an experiment. I ordered an xxl, which was slightly too large, dampened it with a water bottle, and put in in the dryer on high for 30-40 minutes. It came out slightly smaller, and better fitting than either the xl or xxl on their own.

For the zip-through sweater, the fit is better, not requiring any alteration (though the sleeves are a bit long for me, requiring turning the cuffs up on themselves). It's also, thankfully, not too long and sits just over the waistband of my pants. The quality seems good here, with the fabric very comfortable, but not as delicate as the polo. It goes over a dress shirt nicely. The zipper seems a tad flimsy, but has held out so far.

Hopefully that's some help to you.

MBrianT

Reaction score
I own this year's cotton-silk-cashmere buttonless polo and zip-through merino sweater. The polo material is very luxe. It's super soft and comfortable. Time will tell, but it doesn't seem too durable - like it may pill pretty rapidly. No evidence of it yet, though.

For me, the drawback is the sizing. The fit of their jackets is perfect for me (46 havana / lazio fits perfectly with a slight lowering of the collar to take care of the collar roll I consistently get.) Their shirts and, unfortunately, knitwear are a little baggy in the waist when the shoulders fit, and tight in the chest if the waist fits properly.

With the polo, I trried an experiment. I ordered an xxl, which was slightly too large, dampened it with a water bottle, and put in in the dryer on high for 30-40 minutes. It came out slightly smaller, and better fitting than either the xl or xxl on their own.

For the zip-through sweater, the fit is better, not requiring any alteration (though the sleeves are a bit long for me, requiring turning the cuffs up on themselves). It's also, thankfully, not too long and sits just over the waistband of my pants. The quality seems good here, with the fabric very comfortable, but not as delicate as the polo. It goes over a dress shirt nicely. The zipper seems a tad flimsy, but has held out so far.

Hopefully that's some help to you.
Curious. How tall are you? I’m a 46 Havana as well but have had better success with the XXL knitwear size.

tilesomoole

Reaction score
Curious. How tall are you? I’m a 46 Havana as well but have had better success with the XXL knitwear size.
I'm 6 feet even and weigh 210 or so. I usually wear a 36 pants size, so though I'm not skinny, I have more of a drop than most guys. If their knits fit like their sportcoats, I'd get most if not all of mine from ss. Fabrics are nice.

MBrianT

Reaction score
I'm 6 feet even and weigh 210 or so. I usually wear a 36 pants size, so though I'm not skinny, I have more of a drop than most guys. If their knits fit like their sportcoats, I'd get most if not all of mine from ss. Fabrics are nice.
Makes sense now.
I’m 5’9” , 225 and. A 38 trouser but 36 in some

dunks94

Reaction score
hey all, long time lurker but mostly on the denim side of things. I'm getting married and picked out a MTM suit, but just wanted to see what styleforum thought of the fit

I'm a little perplexed at why there's this weird crease when I move in certain ways when the suit is buttoned-see photo 2

Thanks in advance for any help!

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member