• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SJR3

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Got my navy peak lapel in today, this thing is pretty damn sweet:
View attachment 1264762
View attachment 1264763

very Tom Ford-esque, can’t wait time wear this. the ticket pocket will take some getting used to, but just because I’m not used to ticket pockets. The Guabello 120s is just as great as you’d expect.

Also, go ‘Stros!

Is this the length you usually buy? Buttoning point looks high and jacket looks short. (I know, I know, not the best pic to judge this by, but still.)

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is this the length you usually buy? Buttoning point looks high and jacket looks short. (I know, I know, not the best pic to judge this by, but still.)

It is, it’s a 38R- the angle is always off in my photos, but the jacket covers my butt and hits right above my thumb knuckle. That said- a consistent complaint I’ve had with S&M is that I could use an extra .5”-1”in length on the regular length. It’s within the range of acceptable, but I would prefer a touch longer.

Rotbart

Reaction score
I placed an order last Wednesday, still haven't received a shipping notification. At first I assumed they were just backed up from the suit sale, but beginning to wonder. Anyone else still waiting?

SJR3

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
It is, it’s a 38R- the angle is always off in my photos, but the jacket covers my butt and hits right above my thumb knuckle. That said- a consistent complaint I’ve had with S&M is that I could use an extra .5”-1”in length on the regular length. It’s within the range of acceptable, but I would prefer a touch longer.

I think I see your problem: you're 5'11" and wear size 38...

Genericuser1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Visual reference for the XL cardigan from last F/W. I take a 42R in BB and similar and Large in Lands End or LL.Bean for reference.

This is also a best case shot, when I'm sitting its worse. This is why I went with XXL for the next buy even for the turtlenecks (I hope they ship soon, I may have to retire this one).

IMG_4502.jpg

Rotbart

Reaction score
I'm 6'2" and wear a 38L-39L. I just order long sizes from S&M, since their regular cut happens to be shorter in the body and sleeves than I need.

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I see your problem: you're 5'11" and wear size 38...

i order 38L when available, but it’s often not available (as was the case with this suit). 40L would be too wide in the shoulders.

I’m 5’11”/155-160lbs/38” chest/32” waist/32” inseam. Basically a runners build. BOC measurement ideally 30.5”. That BOC is what makes S&M somewhat of a crapshoot for me- if I get a regular length (29.5”), if it’s on the longer side of their tolerances, it works great, where the shorter side of the tolerance might be borderline. With the 38L length (at 30.5”), the longer side of the tolerance would be too long.

Last edited:

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel like all these height comparisons are worthless without 2 more measurements. Some people are more legs and some are more torso. If you included your inseam and normal BOC measurement, it would help people understand.

Maybe @induere_to could shine more light onto useful measurements when trying to compare sizes on a forum. He loves this **** according to his Insta :rotflmao:

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel like all these height comparisons are worthless without 2 more measurements. Some people are more legs and some are more torso. If you included your inseam and normal BOC measurement, it would help people understand.

Maybe @induere_to could shine more light onto useful measurements when trying to compare sizes on a forum. He loves this **** according to his Insta :rotflmao:

updated my post with both measurements.
Once I get the pants altered I’ll take a full mirror picture, which I imagine will look more proportional than what I posted yesterday

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sizing advice please for Commuter Parka

If I want to wear it over a sport coat and I am a normal 42, do I order a Large (42) or size up to XL (44)?

induere_to

Reaction score

Whether you believe in natural design, evolution, or natural selection, I’m sure we can all agree that everyone is born different. I had an appointment this year with a gentleman looking for a custom tuxedo for his wedding, his inseam was 0 inches... however he wanted it measured to accommodate for his prosthetic stilts. If he was on this forum he could possibly pitch in that you’re all wrong.

The majority of the guys that try on suits in my downtown Toronto store, think our jackets are way too long because they’re used to seeing themselves in popular brands with big names that have more fashionable reputations. I was just talking to another friend of mine in the industry just this morning about a new company that opened up in Toronto that specializes in tight-fit, stretch suits and shirts that have established such a massive following on Instagram in just the few months that they’ve been open.

No company can make twelve different-length jackets to accommodate each individual, being all a foot different in height.

For guidance, however, jacket lengths cannot be altered but sleeve lengths can. Shoulders cannot be adjusted but the waist can. With preferences of shoulder width and back length, buy accordingly and get the garments adjusted by a tailor. We sell 34S and I’ve had a guy 6’3” asking for 34L, but how many of those am I actually going to sell?

But, we’ve now launched mto and that should help fill in these individually acquired details. I’m 6’ and wear a 38R and find the button stance too low for the proportions of the jacket itself and can sometimes find the jacket length shorter than I’d like on my lengthy carcass. But then again, my made-to-measure bookshelf is my candy store.

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sizing advice please for Commuter Parka

If I want to wear it over a sport coat and I am a normal 42, do I order a Large (42) or size up to XL (44)?

Good question. Based on the fit guide of that jacket, a L is more like an XL.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads