• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rotbart

Reaction score
Is it against the rules to button the top two on a three button jacket? I think those ads have been around a while though. The middle one looks like something I've admired before.

Proleet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any photo from the dark brown or green merino sweaters? The colors look so light in the product shot so am wondering what to expect...

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is it against the rules to button the top two on a three button jacket? I think those ads have been around a while though. The middle one looks like something I've admired before.
The 3-roll-2 jackets can be buttoned on the top, but they were designed to be worn like a two button. When three button jackets went out of style (back in the 50s?), guys started pressing the lapels to hide the top buttons.
No, it's not wrong, it's just not how Spier built them to be worn.

TheVirt

Reaction score
Curious to know if you feel the same about the bottom button.
I personally do, if there's a valid functional need like the fact that it's windy AF outside and if the flapping of the quarters starts to get on my nerves. I'll unbutton it as soon as I deem it unnecessary though.
They're clothes. They're meant to be used and usually look better for it. Embrace the core of the "rules" for what they mean – as guidelines. At a certain point of confidence, don't let them limit you like handcuffs.

TheVirt

Reaction score
Navy cable crew with light denim shirt and stone covert twill trousers.

IMG_4434.jpg

Curious to know what you guys do with the excess length of the sweaters...I've tried tucking them in and having the excess fold/roll over, but that just ends up being way too warm under the waistband. Alternatively, I've tried not tucking them and rolling them underneath, but that requires adjustment through the day sometimes.

Eli Curt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Curious to know if you feel the same about the bottom button.

I had my bottom button closed on my POW Neo suit the other day (Wednesday afternoon last week) as we went down to the river @ my folks' place. It gets pretty windy (they're right on the Hackensack river) and I wasn't really dressed appropriately, as I wasn't planning to go check out the wildlife when we went over.

Collar up, all three buttons buttoned.

I was OK in the end.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads