• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anyone have a link to that blog or whatever that showed some @menswear dude pimping the S&M Solaro? I might need to show my wife, in a bid to sell her on a new purchase ;)

Ezio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hahahaha. Yes!! Manhattan definitely in order. It’s inside someone’s house so I can’t light one unfortunately.
Just hang onto the cigar in your fingers then?

Also have an obnoxious 1920s Rich Person accent

SJR3

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
My biggest question for the upcoming peaks is whether they have soft shoulder. @spiermackay could you hint more on this?

I'm hoping for a soft shoulder as well. But I have a feeling the peak lapel suits will have a more structured shoulder, like the original peak lapel suits Spier did a couple years ago. It seems to be more congruent with the formality of a peak lapel suit. But again, I'm hoping they have a soft shoulder.

pickergc

Reaction score
Have to go to a prohibition style party tonight. I don’t own anything that would really make it more like that era (fedora, suspenders, waist coat). so I’m just dressing up. Spier hopsack and single pleat flannels. Any simple ideas to make it more 1920s? I have a tie bar I might use. This is my first use of my dads old valet stand. I love it. View attachment 1232865
Red carnation (read: any flower) in the lapel hole, a la Nucky Thompson.

Last edited:

nqtri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Heading out for a wedding in S&M seersucker suit and light denim shirt.

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That picture makes me want a Valet stand!!!

I have one that was my grandfather’s from the 50’s, and it’s neat (and I won’t get rid of it obviously), but I really don’t use it all that much. It’s not something I would necessarily go run out and buy, personally.

Solaro is tempting me, too. Here in Houston, I think it’d work for most of the year. I definitely don’t ‘need’ anything new for winter, though I’m sure I’ll be tempted by something.

That was my thought- I’ll easily get 7-8 months of wear out of it.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have one that was my grandfather’s from the 50’s, and it’s neat (and I won’t get rid of it obviously), but I really don’t use it all that much. It’s not something I would necessarily go run out and buy, personally.

That was my thought- I’ll easily get 7-8 months of wear out of it.
I’m really tempted to build one. Would be a fun project.
If my size Solaro hangs around until tomorrow afternoon, I’m snagging one.

vriche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Solaro is extremely tempting but I think I’ll wait for the F/W drops and/or MTO.

Trit

Reaction score
Alright, continuing the Spier and Mackay experiment. This was my first time ever actually bringing up a jacket and I think it was a success. It's funny because I get my stuff tailored at a suit store chain that I used to work at and they are STILL uncomfortable with that alteration. They didn't say no but they framed it more like, "Are you sure, that alteration is like . . . $50." Which is big money for their normal clientele. But, hey, any Canadians who don't live in a big city check out your local Moore's location. Mine does in house tailoring that is good and cheap and fast. It's oddly the best in town where I live.

So that's a 40R slim jacket with sleeves and hem up and inch and the waist taken in and 32 regular pants. Very happy with the results for like $500 all in. I'll include a picture of the jacket before taking it up, with just the sleeves and waist done. Also of a 40S I tried that was a disaster. I should of known I couldn't rock a short but, yeah, it feels like a kid's jacket. So I know that if it's something I really love I can bite the bullet and insist on the extra tailoring for a 40R.

I recommend Spier and Mackay over Suit Supply now to my friends and if they can get their shipping and return times down (still waiting a week after requesting a return) then they could be the best in the business for budget conscious North Americans.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads