• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Bummed out my 36S contemporary fit measures 69.5cm in length. I was hoping it would be at least 71.5cm cause these run 1cm longer than the regular cut. I tried a 36R and that was almost 75cm so it didn’t work either. Guess I got one on the shorter end of the spectrum so back it’ll go. Might have to wait for the MTO program. Sucks cause the fabric on the brown/red Abraham tweed is fantastic.

Side bar that MTO can’t solve, I feel the armhole can be higher on the contenporary fit. The slim fit I tried on had a noticeably higher cut armhole, but was very small in the chest/waist and I’m by no means a big guy. Not sure if I’m in the minority about the armhole height on the contemporary fit.

The armhole is like 0.5 cm higher in the slim. It's because the chest is narrower it closer to the body and feels much higher comparatively.

sargeinaz

Reaction score
The armhole is like 0.5 cm higher in the slim. It's because the chest is narrower it closer to the body and feels much higher comparatively.

I have no doubt you’re correct, but for some reason it felt very different. Maybe a slim chest also alters how armhole height feels? I have no clue how to explain it, just know how it felt and looked when I tried it on.

Turpentine

Reaction score
So I was wondering if someone could help me. I'm considering ordering my first S&M suit, coming from SuitSupply. At SS, a Lazio or Havana jacket in 42L fits me very well, and based on comparing the measurements it looks like a contemporary in 42L at S&M should work best. So far it's easy.

I'm more concerned about the trousers. The problem for me with SS is that they are a drop 7, and in the end I would really need the pants from a 44L (or between 42L and 44L). If I understand correctly, S&M is a drop 6, so if I order 42L that's good. However, I'm just not sure whether I should just go with the contemporary fit, same as the jacket, or ask for a slim fit if possible. For waist and hip, S&M in 36, either contemporary or slim, looks similar enough to SSS in 44L (pant size 37). But I notice a huge difference for the thigh: the trousers for a 44L at SS are 24.3 for the thigh, but size 36 at S&M is either 28.5 (contemporary) or 27 (slim). This makes me think I should just go and ask whether they could substitute the trousers for a slim fit.

For those who have suits from both, have you noticed that the thighs at S&M are much wider? Would you say that the slim fit at S&M is the closest to the SS trousers?

Thanks!

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Green check arrived on Friday.

Unreal. Need to take some pictures in natural light.

Looking forward for those pics!

So I was wondering if someone could help me. I'm considering ordering my first S&M suit, coming from SuitSupply. At SS, a Lazio or Havana jacket in 42L fits me very well, and based on comparing the measurements it looks like a contemporary in 42L at S&M should work best. So far it's easy.

I'm more concerned about the trousers. The problem for me with SS is that they are a drop 7, and in the end I would really need the pants from a 44L (or between 42L and 44L). If I understand correctly, S&M is a drop 6, so if I order 42L that's good. However, I'm just not sure whether I should just go with the contemporary fit, same as the jacket, or ask for a slim fit if possible. For waist and hip, S&M in 36, either contemporary or slim, looks similar enough to SSS in 44L (pant size 37). But I notice a huge difference for the thigh: the trousers for a 44L at SS are 24.3 for the thigh, but size 36 at S&M is either 28.5 (contemporary) or 27 (slim). This makes me think I should just go and ask whether they could substitute the trousers for a slim fit.

For those who have suits from both, have you noticed that the thighs at S&M are much wider? Would you say that the slim fit at S&M is the closest to the SS trousers?

Thanks!

Hope this helps. I wear 44L in SS in all their fits. But the trousers of SS are huge for me. In S&M I grab 44L jacket and 34 Contemporary and they fit perfect.

I think, that SS measurements in trousers are more as for the body measurement than the trouser measurement. My thighs are 24” and if the 37 of SS would be 24.5” actualmeasrement they would be incredibly tight and they aren’t. You need some extra space so they drape well. I will try tomorrow to measure the thigh of the SS suit I have (Lazio) but they aren’t that slim.

Take advantage of the trouser swap you can do in S&M.

Rick, we need more 44L! Hahaha.

Ahree

Reaction score

Thanks!

SS trousers are weird. As tight in the thighs are SS trousers are, you would think their leg openings would be even skinnier. Ask for S&M slim fit, as it is closest to SS's trousers. S&M's contemporary jackets are more comparable with SS's Havana, which is to say, fairly slim.

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With all the money you are saving on rent, you can splurge on a good tailor. Haha. #Torontorentisridiculous

LOL. That is no joke. For the money I was spending on ONE bedroom in a 2-bedroom built-in-the-80s apartment, I can rent an entire 1-bedroom newly built condo in downtown Montreal. Toronto is unbelievable!

It's also nice to have a subway system that's reliable and runs on time.

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
LOL. That is no joke. For the money I was spending on ONE bedroom in a 2-bedroom built-in-the-80s apartment, I can rent an entire 1-bedroom newly built condo in downtown Montreal. Toronto is unbelievable!

It's also nice to have a subway system that's reliable and runs on time.

Montreal is a great city. Love visiting there. Great food. Great architecture. Great cultural scene. Great smoked meat. Haha.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wednesday, I'll have five new trousers to take in to the tailor. I'm trying to decide which ones to put a cuff on. Definitely the tweeds, not sure about the flannels. Its a casual fabric, which makes me say cuff - but it's also a more 'English style' which makes me say no cuff.

Curious what everyone else is doing with their flannels?

linds_15

Reaction score
Wednesday, I'll have five new trousers to take in to the tailor. I'm trying to decide which ones to put a cuff on. Definitely the tweeds, not sure about the flannels. Its a casual fabric, which makes me say cuff - but it's also a more 'English style' which makes me say no cuff.

I cuff them all.

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Standard width leg opening to be worn with a shirt and sport coat? Cuff.

Slim opening to be worn with a sweater and trainers or other more streetwear look? No cuff.

Turpentine

Reaction score
SS trousers are weird. As tight in the thighs are SS trousers are, you would think their leg openings would be even skinnier. Ask for S&M slim fit, as it is closest to SS's trousers. S&M's contemporary jackets are more comparable with SS's Havana, which is to say, fairly slim.

I'll listen to your advice, going to ask for slim. There's no way around testing them anyway, plus I'm in Montreal so exchanges should be easy. Can't wait to get my first S&M suit!

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I mentioned previously that I haven't put cuffs on anything in more than 10 years.
So this year I've started mixing in some cuffs. On 2 tweeds and 3 flannel. Because variety.
No cuffs on cords or moleskins however.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics