• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Spex

Reaction score
Can anyone provide insight on the fit of their S&M dress shirts?

Is the Slim comparable to a Brooks Brother Extra Slim Fit?

If the BB Extra Slim Fit is the renamed Milano fit, then I had a few of those shirts and I (any many others) didn't find them all that slim to begin with. I generally bought S&M shirts in Contemporary fit and would say they are similar. S&M Slim would pobably be slimmer than the BB. Note, that this is all assuming what I said in my first line.

losrockets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aaaand before we get any further: people have different body types and preferences for how things fit.

@Darkside I don't recall many people asking for a more relaxed fit in this thread. Spier MTM is a very good value, especially for shirts. Have you looked into that? I kept asking for more room in the chest for jackets but I'm now to the point where I've realized the fit works for most people, just not for me, and the most practical thing going forward for both sides is to keep the OTR the same but for me to spend up for MTM jackets.

Fino

Reaction score
Should I get the same size as my Charles Tyrwhitt Extra Slim Fit shirts for SM Extra Slim Fit shirts?

kammerer66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Should I get the same size as my Charles Tyrwhitt Extra Slim Fit shirts for SM Extra Slim Fit shirts?

They are close, although I found that CT measurements vary from one shirt to another in the same size. I suggest measuring your well-fitting CT shirt and comparing with S&M measurements on their web site.

sobecane

Reaction score
20% off Sale Items using code Sale20.

I found some fresco trousers luckily in my size (30 Slim). Fingers crossed they actually ship.

turbospartan

Reaction score
I think you are good with the 36S. If you are looking at a Sportcoat, the shoulders are like SS Havana, no padding. The Lazio and Napoli have a bit more padding than my S&M Neapolitan v3 cut. For refernce I weatr 44L in Havana/Lazio/Washington/Hudson and I wear 44L in S&M. I have tried the Sienna of SS and the shoulder fits me horribly, I get shoulder divots.

Thanks for the reply. The Neapolitan cut means that it is a 3 roll 2, correct? How do you like yours?

I'm trying to decide between a GUABELLO - BRIGHT NAVY 130'S - NEAPOLITAN CUT or a VBC - Blue Sharkskin

Will be used for a weddings and future interviews

MrGimpy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To revisit a topic from a few pages back, I was one of those who leaped at the $50 cream fresco trousers and am very much looking forward to getting the lining switched out so I can wear them.

I've picked up some Bemberg lining to be installed but haven't had any luck finding a tailor to do the job downtown. My usual go-to tailor for cheap alterations said it was too big of a job, and my second option quoted $150.

Has anyone found a tailor downtown who will do the work at a reasonable price?

dluce76

Reaction score
20% off Sale Items using code Sale20.

I found some fresco trousers luckily in my size (30 Slim). Fingers crossed they actually ship.

Man - too good. $270 for Minnis fresco AFB sportcoat. I have to imagine this price is at cost or dang close to it. The minnis fresco fabric isn't cheap!

wristandfeet

Reaction score
Dear iGents,

Received my first ever OTR sport coat, courtesy of S+M. These are 40S Contemp EThomas Silk/Wool/Cashmere Grey Slub.

May I have you opinion on fit please? Any recommendations on what alterations are needed?

Many thanks!!

IMG_4450.JPG

IMG_4454.JPG

IMG_4458.JPG

IMG_4457.JPG

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads