• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

kammerer66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hear my latest shirt should be coming soon. If you can wait a few I’ll show you the latest I did. It’s still 3.75” points like my last but a 4” spread and smaller tie gap, and I lowered the band height a hair. I’m 5’9” and wear a 40 slim.

I’ll keep you posted.

I ordered light wash in burzan collar, lightly lined, also basically the same build as you.

If I get it before you let the rest of the order go through, i'll definitely post some pics to help you decide.

Thank you guys! I will wait for the updates.

Spex

Reaction score
Looking for input, pls. Don't wear a suit often but need a new blue one (to go with my brown Neo from S&M). Any comments on the following. am leaning toward the texture as I need something for multiple uses but also like it to be a touch more casual.

med blue heather, med blue texture, vbc navy neop, navy solid

I've seen all of these. The 2 navys are at the top of the formality level, not really textured at all (unless you count a very fine twill a texture). The mid blue texture is quite nice and gives a bit of visual interest and not at dark and formal as the navy ones. The mid blue heather is a really nice fabric, and certainly the most casual. I'm leaning towards getting the mid blue texture myself, as I'd prefer something that works better all around including evening/night events. The heather blue seems more like a spring/summer daytime vibe for me (but damn...so nice looking).

Ezio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you guys know what the corresponding SuitSupply sizing is for a 44 Contemporary Suit in SM Lazio? I want to get a dinner jacket for a wedding, but getting it from SM would cost nearly a thousand bucks since it's be custom and SM has an off-white dinner jacket that's priced in my budget, but it seems to be one of their slim fits and I hear SS sleeves are a ***** to work with since I'd have to have the sleeves shortened a little.

I love the 44 Contemporary sizing and SM's suits, but I can see why they wouldn't make an off white dinner jacket a regular item haha

Asca1

Reaction score
@spiermackay any plans to add extra slim fit to the standard sizes in your online custom shirt interface? Or is it possible to get the full set of measurements to input for a particular size?

Ezio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's a Camel overcoat in size 46 left. I'm a size 44. I wonder if I should get it or leave it since it's final sale. 44 Contemporary is a perfect fit for me, so I don't wanna get it if it's gonna be baggy or oversized... I want it to be versatile, so I can wear it over suits and with casual clothes.

Can a jacket like this be tailored down one size? Like, it's a 46, can I take it to a tailor to turn it into a 45? Might be best to work on top of a suit and with casual clothes.

Otherwise I'll wait for this fall's release, if SM is still bringing out that double breasted overcoat.

Last edited:

Spex

Reaction score
There's a Camel overcoat in size 46 left. I'm a size 44. I wonder if I should get it or leave it since it's final sale. 44 Contemporary is a perfect fit for me, so I don't wanna get it if it's gonna be baggy or oversized... I want it to be versatile, so I can wear it over suits and with casual clothes.

Can a jacket like this be tailored down one size? Like, it's a 46, can I take it to a tailor to turn it into a 45? Might be best to work on top of a suit and with casual clothes.

Otherwise I'll wait for this fall's release, if SM is still bringing out that double breasted overcoat.

I think the consensus with the outerwear was to size up from your suit jacket/sport coat size, especially if you are going to wear it over a suit/sport coat. Every photo I saw where someone ordered their normal suit jacket size, the outerwear was tight.

CanadaCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It’s very trim, still on the snug side without a suit underneath IMO even a size up.

You don’t want a skin tight topcoat

ninzer33

Reaction score

I would heavily recommend sizing up. I'm a 38 contemporary in SM suits and I got the overcoat in a 40 and it's still a little snug.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It’s very trim, still on the snug side without a suit underneath IMO even a size up.

i ordered that coat and, despite its beauty, and value, decided to return it. Even size up, it didnt fit comfortably over my tweed SCs. I have a couple of Harris tweed SCs that I wear in winter that are pretty thick and bulky. I concluded that, to accomodate those jackets, I'd have to look for something roomy with little tailoring

So the SM camel may or may not work for you depending what you will be wearing it over. Its a beauty though.

Ezio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I would heavily recommend sizing up. I'm a 38 contemporary in SM suits and I got the overcoat in a 40 and it's still a little snug.

i ordered that coat and, despite its beauty, and value, decided to return it. Even size up, it didnt fit comfortably over my tweed SCs. I have a couple of Harris tweed SCs that I wear in winter that are pretty thick and bulky. I concluded that, to accomodate those jackets, I'd have to look for something roomy with little tailoring

So the SM camel may or may not work for you depending what you will be wearing it over. Its a beauty though.

Alright, I decided to bite the bullet and get the 46. Fingers crossed it's a good fit for me.

I saw a guy a couple of days ago in the financial district in Vancouver with a camel overcoat and it just looked fantastic. It'll have to fill the hole in my heart that the sold out Heather blue left <\3

TotallyWired

Reaction score
Alright, I decided to bite the bullet and get the 46. Fingers crossed it's a good fit for me.

I saw a guy a couple of days ago in the financial district in Vancouver with a camel overcoat and it just looked fantastic. It'll have to fill the hole in my heart that the sold out Heather blue left <\3

A good alternative to the heather blue suit is the medium blue herringbone. The photo on the webstore doesn't do it justice, its a really nice fabric, good shade of medium blue.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just wear a no padding SC on Camel Overcoat days! enjoy

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads