• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like their trousers and the pattern is mostly fine (don't know about reports they are narrower this year), but the opening is too narrow. The last pair I got I used what was available to get them taken out at the bottom to around 8.25.
Same for me. If you take them out both on the inside and outside, you're able to push it even further to 8,5-8,75". Picking up two pairs from my tailor later today where I asked them to take the trousers out to 8,75" and lengthen the inseam another 0,5-0,75". We'll see how that works out.

JHud

Reaction score
How do you all feel about lining in suit jackets? I’m doing a MTO suit in a tropical fabric, and I’m wondering if anything beyond butterfly lining is necessary. I living in FL so humid, hot weather is the norm.

JTrent82

Reaction score
How do you all feel about lining in suit jackets? I’m doing a MTO suit in a tropical fabric, and I’m wondering if anything beyond butterfly lining is necessary. I living in FL so humid, hot weather is the norm.
Quarter lining is preferable on summer jackets imo. The less lining, the more airflow. It used to really bother me that they put quarter lining on their tweed jackets, and I guess it still does, but I've begun to realize it has other advantages. Namely it's much easier and cheaper to alter when the lining doesn't have to be opened and then sewn back in.

St1X

Reaction score
Go completely unlined, except sleeves ofc

sargeinaz

Reaction score
My jeans are 7.5-8inches at the hem. Trousers are probably the same now that I think about it. Never tried 8.25, but I’m like 5’8” so I don’t go too wide

BlueSteel

Reaction score
Spier RTW is closer to 8" these days, which is an absolute no-go for me.

Almost all of mine are contemporary fit and come in at almost exactly 8.5" (not bought this season...past year or so). I like that proportion.

Simon Chambers

Reaction score

It's more a question of how you feel. Given the climate where you live, I'd tend to go unlined personally. I have a fully unlined jacket from Bonobos and an unlined three piece suit from a local MTM shop here in Toronto. Both bought specifically for work in hot climates, which I visit regularly for work. If you prefer a lining and can handle it in the heat, then having a lining in is a possibility. But for me, I'd recommend unlined.

dv0101

Reaction score
Almost all of mine are contemporary fit and come in at almost exactly 8.5" (not bought this season...past year or so). I like that proportion.
What's interesting is that when I go to order an MTO suit, the hem measurement is capped at 16.1" (i.e. an 8" opening) for a size 31. So even if you're ordering MTO, you can't request a larger opening. I have other pairs of pants that I like that are a size 31 with similar hip and thigh measurements as the SM 31, but mine have a 9" hem size. I'd like to be able to order SM trousers with something like an 8.5 or 9" hem width.

Why don't they allow this on their MTOs?

But also -- could I simply order a much longer inseam with the 16.1" hem opening, then hem them to my proper inseam and expect that the opening will be wider since it's hemming it higher in the taper?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matchaslimprix