• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Epaulet x Styleforum Alpine Loden Collection

Loden wool, woven in Tirol for centuries, is known for its resistance to cold and wetness. Our project in collaboration with Epaulet introduces Alpine Loden, a modern 18oz fabric blend of 75% merino wool and 25% nylon, woven in Italy. It's lighter, more durable, wind-resistant, and more comfortable than traditional Loden fabric. Partnering with Rochester Tailored Clothing, we offer custom garments like sportcoats, suits, and overcoats, made to your specifications. Learn more about the Loden collection here.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Movies Are You Watching Lately

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I watched Hit Man last night, and yeah, she was super hot throughout. The movie itself was fun, but not as great as reviews led me to believe. It was kinda schizophrenic- like three movies strung together. The first part was sort of a goofball cop comedy, the second part was straight up rom-com, the third part was film noir-ish, with a kinda Coen brothers vibe, but not as bleak as either of those. Like I said, fun; mostly because Powell and Arjona are charismatic as hell, but really not a great movie the more I think about it.
That's a good description. We watched it last night and when the movie's last scene came on we both kind of WTF'd--we thought we were gearing up for another set of twists and challenges that just didn't materialize. It was a good popcorn flick but doesn't really hold up to even basic scrutiny, especially if you know much of anything about law enforcement or investigations.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a good description. We watched it last night and when the movie's last scene came on we both kind of WTF'd--we thought we were gearing up for another set of twists and challenges that just didn't materialize. It was a good popcorn flick but doesn't really hold up to even basic scrutiny, especially if you know much of anything about law enforcement or investigations.

I thought the character was based on a real Gary Johnson ?

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If you watch the credits, they show the statistics for the actual Gary Johnson, and one of the stats was underlined "we made that whole part up!" :D So the premise was based on a real guy, but then goes off on its own narrative journey.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you watch the credits, they show the statistics for the actual Gary Johnson, and one of the stats was underlined "we made that whole part up!" :D So the premise was based on a real guy, but then goes off on its own narrative journey.

haven't seen it yet . sounds watchable for a date night

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If you haven't done so, I highly recommend the Texas Monthly article by Skip Hollandsworth (linked in the above Vanity Fair piece). Hollandsworth is a fantastic writer, and he has a particular genius for weird crimes, of which Texas has a lot. He also wrote the story that the movie Bernie was based on; arguably Jack Black's best performance.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMG_0430.jpeg

30years old don’t think it’s grown up. Must be well over 20 years since I’ve watched it…a good time was had by all.

pasadena man

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saw Bullitt last Saturday at the Los Angeles Theater as part of the LA Conservancy’s Last Remaining Seats program. The LA Theater is the last and most lavish of the 20-30’s LA movie palaces. The lobby is based on the Hall of Mirrors at Versailles; except that it is 20 feet taller than Versailles!

Bullitt is, by far, my favorite Steve McQueen movie. He was the Executive Producer, so he was very focused and cleaned up his act (apparently, he was infamous for smoking pot all day on the set of some his other famous films).

It is amazing how he dominates and shapes the film with almost no dialogue.

Sartorially, the film is most famous for McQueen’s blue turtleneck, maybe the most famous male turtleneck in American films.

What struck me this time around is how well dressed in a CM way a lot of the background extras in the film are. Most of the male passengers on the plane the villain is trying to escape on are wearing suits and ties, as are the majority of the of men in the terminal. 1968 was the tail end of the “dress up formally to take a plane flight because it is a special occasion” era.

Beyond that, a lot of the people just walking around throughout the film look good, in well fitted suits that would make them stand out as well to very well dressed today. The late 60’s was a good period for menswear. Coats had generally moved from three to two buttons. Suits were more fitted, less boxy than the 50’s, but without the excesses that came with the early 70’s.

The other thing that struck me was how visceral the famous car chase scene is, 50 years later. It made me vertiginous, even though it is all real shots, no CGI or other special effects. It is the car chase scene gold standard for a reason.

All in all, the best day at the theater that I have had since well pre-covid.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Lake Mungo, a relatively obscure Australian "mockumentary" style film from 2008 that often comes up on lists of "best found footage horror films". It (mostly) solves the usual "why on earth is anyone filming this" question via the documentary format, combining "archival" footage with interview scenes. It tries to keep you guessing with a series of head fakes and red herrings that do more to defuse tension than to built it. The penultimate twist reveals a very suburban type of horror that has very little to do with the rest of the film, unfortunately, and as a result it doesn't hit as hard as it might otherwise. A well made film that in the end lacks the narrative tension you look for in a horror or thriller.

Last edited:

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMG_0434.jpeg

One of the best black political satires of any century. Great cast, director and David Mamet as cowriter.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Saw Bullitt last Saturday at the Los Angeles Theater as part of the LA Conservancy’s Last Remaining Seats program. The LA Theater is the last and most lavish of the 20-30’s LA movie palaces. The lobby is based on the Hall of Mirrors at Versailles; except that it is 20 feet taller than Versailles!

Bullitt is, by far, my favorite Steve McQueen movie. He was the Executive Producer, so he was very focused and cleaned up his act (apparently, he was infamous for smoking pot all day on the set of some his other famous films).

It is amazing how he dominates and shapes the film with almost no dialogue.

Sartorially, the film is most famous for McQueen’s blue turtleneck, maybe the most famous male turtleneck in American films.

What struck me this time around is how well dressed in a CM way a lot of the background extras in the film are. Most of the male passengers on the plane the villain is trying to escape on are wearing suits and ties, as are the majority of the of men in the terminal. 1968 was the tail end of the “dress up formally to take a plane flight because it is a special occasion” era.

Beyond that, a lot of the people just walking around throughout the film look good, in well fitted suits that would make them stand out as well to very well dressed today. The late 60’s was a good period for menswear. Coats had generally moved from three to two buttons. Suits were more fitted, less boxy than the 50’s, but without the excesses that came with the early 70’s.

The other thing that struck me was how visceral the famous car chase scene is, 50 years later. It made me vertiginous, even though it is all real shots, no CGI or other special effects. It is the car chase scene gold standard for a reason.

All in all, the best day at the theater that I have had since well pre-covid.
Recently saw again another great flick from the same era, with nice clothing too, and the sound of Florsheim hitting the ground.

Featured Sponsor

Invisible Socks: Convenience or Curse?

• Convenience

• Curse

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedHarris