• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

alkydrinker

Reaction score
I'm wondering if the new overshirts that are now up with the additional pockets are the "chore coats" we've been waiting for? My guess is yes.

However, I thought I remember Rick referring to them as "chore blazers" (was thinking it might be more like a unstructured workwear jacket with lapels) so not 100% sure. Anyone know?

ULCajun

Reaction score
Yes and no?

I mean that was my first impression too, mainly because I’m used to S&M prices being lower than other retailers for similar pieces. I don’t think $200 for a wool over shirt is out of line at all, I was just sort of mentally conditioned to their prices being lower so I expected them at $150 or less.
Save yourself some money and buy an ordinary shirt, but a size bigger.
I mean, I guess they are pretty much the same as last year’s field jackets (100% wool) just a different style. Maybe I just see “shirt” and think it’s crazy for $200. I suppose an overshirt is really just a jacket.

sdjackofclubs

Reaction score
NIfGguKSV7g03qdOrkHB26ehnQxJXxU7UN3N3XIwss-ZWqqSnGS1anQJOLFcbn9u6sPyTzwnWmS1X_TlQIxHNxxtFPt7LEy2MB4hxyYcpuZy9obo4-v2QSoEBOyoRcpq9OrWw2GMmEIvlzChgFsvplbJNo9arXBViS9eIgPawj5wNLaVeqynbiX-lxVvvh4OH7Qh736ToxFOvfm36w2bCV8cgTAyQioR3hBcKE8pn5RcUCnalixQcO4MRLoQsIZOMp8LH6jyNj4TBwRMx3T0B-6EOBAJDQUag106yxSBDwAULpPh8PkdfF6pbUYWNy6rYe9VwPlli1VIiFcyjr8WQrVOZYSWgrzlatxUWxx3ObJ2nO2sAr1kRxHmrSjmBMrfLanN177r4Dbq3EHQwIEEqC69z10rspJznGluVEgX9bk_G0GUbRxGsOhtUOzH2VeYhKOPSo55U3TmeayBfRNSopAZA6ZXUdVZ_17PixInulILXHEI26tfqK6x3btVNFHtgHUEql_6m4HaDjuUK6pb4lR-9ZzdspxnSjXUbVN3vAtdEDCxEZt55eotU_YfedbwaRslBH6OFjyzxu7akfaSVQUnwbLmyPXLMLXzaaSEzYuMfzejmiOGCIPgk4ONbkWRPlnllD6N33EJlmwQGwe95_QcI-Gi-ShwaTO8EAh7jNU49i7y6TDD8UqnFwqhqGiJG7Y7RGcnN_KP_tbzb0eS40-C=w380-h674-no

First wear for my new WOOL OVERSHIRT, and I must say it's fantastic! Just kidding, this is Wallace & Barnes from J.Crew, but I am rocking Spier & Mackay brown chinos from a few seasons back, and the OG navy sweatshirt. I hope the new sweatshirts return to this cut rather than last year's longer cut.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I mean, I guess they are pretty much the same as last year’s field jackets (100% wool) just a different style. Maybe I just see “shirt” and think it’s crazy for $200. I suppose an overshirt is really just a jacket.

Especially with the hip pickets I definitely think of it as a jacket layer. If you look at places like Filson or Todd Snyder, the price is in line or better at S&M. Obviously Drake’s over shirts are way higher. You could find something similar for less but I’m not sure I’ve seen one with hip pockets for less.

zurich64

Reaction score
Perhaps one can get a mto shirt with larger margins and with wool or linen as fabric. Pocket choices are already there in ordering system.

Shoeaffic

Reaction score
I wonder if there's a difference between safari jackets and field jackets in terms of genre associations. Field jackets are, after all, especially in their m-65 version, a staple in American culture at least since the late 60s, and are now making a comeback. They do reference a particular aesthetic though. But this is not the case with safari jackets, which indeed lend themselves better to tailoring transitions due to their European colonial heritage (which might not be a good thing). Hence the issue: while field jackets at first appear dissonant with tailoring due to their casual (hippie) and military background, they now (recent style tendencies) allow for a high-low look (Simon Crompton of Permanent Style has an interesting article that is a good point of departure for a discussion), whereas safari jackets, which are in principle more homogeneous with tailoring due to their colonial heritage, can today come across as a bit affected and costumey (out of place, anachronistic) precisely because of the compounded stylistic element they bring to an already "aging" traditional aesthetic. That's perhaps why sometimes it is easier to get away with a sportcoat, jeans and a minimalist white sneaker than it is with trousers, leather shoes, a button-up shirt (worse with tie) and a safari. I have been softening up to the idea of leather shoes and trousers with knitwear and field jackets though. Again, the high-low vs perceived affectation seems key in the potential success of the outfit. But I don't know what y'all think.

Shoeaffic

Reaction score
On a more relevant affiliate note, shout out to the Spier and Mackay team for expediting shipping on a sport coat I ordered (and which I needed for a trip). They shipped it THE SAME DAY I ordered it, and it reached me two days later, even in the middle of this crisis of short staff and delayed carriers.

MacGuffen

Reaction score
Custom outerwear length measurement seems bugged. I can't go higher than 35.3 inches in length, even on a polocoat.
1633100047890.png

thisfits

Reaction score
Custom outerwear length measurement seems bugged. I can't go higher than 35.3 inches in length, even on a polocoat.

I've encountered similar issues hemming pants. I leave the desired measurement in the notes and they take care of it. S&M have been good about follow-through, but you can shoot them an email after the order to confirm.

MacGuffen

Reaction score
I've encountered similar issues hemming pants. I leave the desired measurement in the notes and they take care of it. S&M have been good about follow-through, but you can shoot them an email after the order to confirm.
I'm worried they will limit the length of the overcoats. Obviously it's going to be much more expensive for them to make an overcoat in Magee fabric that is 45 inches long rather than 36 inches long.

Ezio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Casual wear today while running a few errands. I need to step up my casual shoe wear. Still looking for the ultimate derby scotch/pebble or hatch grain shoe.

This is such a great and versatile jacket. Works equally as good with denim as with flannel trousers. IMO, navy, light/mid/dark gray, charcoal and brown flannels all work equally as good with it.

Marling & Evans - Brown & Navy Glen Check (FARNLEY/17023/C3-MTO-J)
View attachment 1678171 View attachment 1678172 View attachment 1678173
Gorgeous

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have been wanting for 2-3 years to replace an old Brooks Brothers olive cord jacket. So jumped on the Redaelli when it dropped. It is matte not shiny and Very soft. It is also a true olive not the brownish loden color shown on the website.
317DB3E5-0658-41EC-B2CB-42F3815AC16F.jpeg
The BB jacket gets donated this weekend.

edit. Meant to add. This one runs a bit snug vs other neos in my size including the rust tweed Neo that arrived with it.
oddly I did not even notice the armhole adjustment on either jacket

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm worried they will limit the length of the overcoats. Obviously it's going to be much more expensive for them to make an overcoat in Magee fabric that is 45 inches long rather than 36 inches long.
Casual wear today while running a few errands. I need to step up my casual shoe wear. Still looking for the ultimate derby scotch/pebble or hatch grain shoe.

This is such a great and versatile jacket. Works equally as good with denim as with flannel trousers. IMO, navy, light/mid/dark gray, charcoal and brown flannels all work equally as good with it.

Marling & Evans - Brown & Navy Glen Check (FARNLEY/17023/C3-MTO-J)
View attachment 1678171 View attachment 1678172 View attachment 1678173

Looks great. I don't think they make them anymore, but Allen Edmonds used to do their MacNeil LWB in pebble grain with a Dainite sole- something like that would be perfect imho. I realize that doesn't offer much other than "can confirm pebble grain LWB's look great with this kind of outfit"

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Honestly, I was very excited when we were told several months ago about the custom overcoats, but this is why I'm glad the Ulster basically hit exactly what I was looking for. If length can't be edited the custom program would be a moot point for me.

MacGuffen

Reaction score
Honestly, I was very excited when we were told several months ago about the custom overcoats, but this is why I'm glad the Ulster basically hit exactly what I was looking for. If length can't be edited the custom program would be a moot point for me.
You can edit it, but it seems to be limited to 3-4 inches plus minus and the limit changes depending on base size. Guess you can choose long base size, but then you won't be able to reduce the sleeves enough, at least in my case.

Personally I was hoping for a longer ulster coat in the Grey herringbone Zanieri, but it doesn't seem to be available.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads