• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Denim is finally in production. Pretty excited about these. Been working on this project for a little over 2 years. The challenge was finding the right factory, the right fabric a getting the washes right. Also trying to keep the price in check and not being able to travel for the past 18 months made it that much more difficult. Easy to get quality if you're paying a high price. Easy to get a good price if you don't care about quality. The challenge is to balance the quality/price to create amazing value and I think that's what we do better than most and our denim line will truly reflect that.

View attachment 1647295

High rise? Mid rise?

MrFingers

Reaction score
Sooooo how much will we be looking at?
Denim is finally in production. Pretty excited about these. Been working on this project for a little over 2 years. The challenge was finding the right factory, the right fabric a getting the washes right. Also trying to keep the price in check and not being able to travel for the past 18 months made it that much more difficult. Easy to get quality if you're paying a high price. Easy to get a good price if you don't care about quality. The challenge is to balance the quality/price to create amazing value and I think that's what we do better than most and our denim line will truly reflect that.

View attachment 1647295
?

User123456789

Reaction score
The Dugdale is a more wooly/softer hand. The covert is very dry. The Dugdale is more matte as well.

Edit: This is also an experiment for both the MTO and the appetite for "Higher End - Branded" Fabrics. Dugdale is the clear leader for Cavalry Twill, so we'll see how many people actually care. At $248 USD it's probably the best price on offer for this cloth anywhere.

Been shopping for Cavalry Twill for this fall/winter, and it's the best price I've seen by a lot. Hard to find pants in that type of fabric for much under $400.

For something that is "high end" though, I do wish a bit more thought went into the design than just applying the generic high waist setup. To me, belt loops seem much more appropriate for something that is known for being heavy, sturdy, and kind of rugged.

Bidouleroux

Reaction score
To me, belt loops seem much more appropriate for something that is known for being heavy, sturdy, and kind of rugged.

Ah, yes. I guess we all forgot firefighters wear suspenders instead of belts because their uniform is made of very fine and delicate cloth.

firemankirt1.JPG

SmoothLefty

Reaction score
Anyone else receive their denim shirt yet? The collar on mine is huge, I'm going to have to send it back. I ordered the same size, same fit in a madras shirt in the spring and the collar was perfect. Not sure if this is a QC issue or a change in fit but I'm leaning towards the former.

The madras collar measures exactly 17".
The denim measures nearly 18".

@spiermackay Rick - will this fabric ever be available in MTM?

1.PNG

2.PNG

MrFingers

Reaction score
Anyone else receive their denim shirt yet? The collar on mine is huge, I'm going to have to send it back. I ordered the same size, same fit in a madras shirt in the spring and the collar was perfect. Not sure if this is a QC issue or a change in fit but I'm leaning towards the former.

The madras collar measures exactly 17".
The denim measures nearly 18".

@spiermackay Rick - will this fabric ever be available in MTM?

View attachment 1647454

View attachment 1647455
Other than the collar, how is it?

User123456789

Reaction score
Ah, yes. I guess we all forgot firefighters wear suspenders instead of belts because their uniform is made of very fine and delicate cloth.

The GMTO isn't cut for suspenders either (or at least it doesn't say anything about it). Do any firefighters hold their pants up with nothing but a couple of side tabs?

Suspenders can also be annoying for everyday wear. Probably why S&M doesn't even offer suspender buttons as a customization option in normal MTO.

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
The GMTO isn't cut for suspenders either (or at least it doesn't say anything about it). Do any firefighters hold their pants up with nothing but a couple of side tabs?

Suspenders can also be annoying for everyday wear. Probably why S&M doesn't even offer suspender buttons as a customization option in normal MTO.

Suspender buttons can be requested. It's not there simply because it's not often requested and we just haven't got around to it just yet.

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Been shopping for Cavalry Twill for this fall/winter, and it's the best price I've seen by a lot. Hard to find pants in that type of fabric for much under $400.

For something that is "high end" though, I do wish a bit more thought went into the design than just applying the generic high waist setup. To me, belt loops seem much more appropriate for something that is known for being heavy, sturdy, and kind of rugged.

I personally think belt loops would look too casual and not mesh with how most would want to wear this.

Last edited:

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Does anyone have feedback on the plum hopsack jacket? Any photos perhaps?

Bidouleroux

Reaction score
Do any firefighters hold their pants up with nothing but a couple of side tabs?
You said belts go better with the rugged look. I'm saying your argument doesn't make sense. Belts were not originally worn by "rugged" people to hold up their pants. For example, Levi's used to come with a back cinch and suspender buttons. Using a belt to hold up pants was first done in American athletic clothing and then got popular everywhere for some reason after WWI. The association with "ruggedness", "sports wear" (in the traditional sense), or -- god forbid -- proper tailoring is pretty much sartorial Mandela effect.

But you're welcome to add belt loops to your tailored pants if you want.

Not any more annoying than a belt. You're just used to it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads