• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dapperclassic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Full S&M combo, cigar linen, Quest cotton trouser, medium wash denim shirt.

CBA4A760-7099-460A-8345-00CF73939285.jpeg
8757354A-1784-41CE-803A-A5DE04B21978.jpeg
17255D57-96E8-4F03-A168-CFC91034D503.jpeg

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I’ve had the light brown Guabello wool/cotton high rise trousers for a few months now and have worn them about a dozen times. They look great and are super comfortable and versatile.

However, after each wear I’ve noticed a reasonable amount of pilling on the crotch/bottom area of the trousers. It’s easy to just pull off the few bobbles, but I’m worried it’ll thin that area out over time. They fit really well and are neither tight nor do they seem to rub against each other in the crotch area. I’m thinking it could be when I sit down, but it’s all on either leather or fabric seats and without much force so shouldn’t be causing any friction.

Sorry to ramble on, but has anyone else experienced this??

Ask a tailor to put in a fabric saddle inside. Your legs will rub the inner fabric protecting the cloth. The fabric is a bit on the delicate side. We've reached out to Guabello about this to see what can be done in future versions.

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I actually just got the Navy linen db jacket—it's at the tailor right now. It's my first purchase with SM but I really love it. Dense, sturdy linen that rumples rather than wrinkles.

My tailor was super enamored with it actually lol, he was like "Where did you get this? They don't make linen like this anymore?" and "This will last you 15 years without losing shape!"

Quick question though, does anyone know if the linen dress trousers in navy would match this jacket? Would love to wear this as a suit too but not sure if you're meant to mix and match like that.

It matches the High Rise Linen Trousers in the same colour. Though we're very low on those

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
what would happen if i put my quest high rise khakis in the wash? would they actually get ruined? my khakis seem to be a dirt magnet and i don't want to keep putting them through the dry cleaning process.

Cold water. Hang dry they will be fine. The ironing may be a pain though.

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
So...I finally had a chance to wear a suit for the first time since the pandemic started. Unfortunately I've put on some weight and the suit was a wee bit tight. I think I need to go from 36S slim fit to 36S contemporary. Was looking to buy a new suit or two, but wanted something for summer, so was looking for a wool/linen blend but it looks like there are none available? Has S&M stopped making wool/linen suits? There are a few sportscoat available, but I want the matching pants.

If it's a wee bit tight, why not let it out?

During 2020/2021, we dialed back on taking any significant risk with tailoring. We have some wool/linens scheduled now for SS22

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
View attachment 1645961
Getting ready to meet with a client. Sondrio cotton-linen pants and light blue stripe button collar shirt. Jacket is not Spier. I have tried time and time again to find a Spier jacket that fits me. They just don't fit me well. Luckily I've had this jacket for a thousand years, and it's held up, and looks great with my Spier S/S items!

What's the issue in the jacket fit? Have you tired MTO?

Prof FJG

Reaction score
@spiermackay what is the current turn around for custom suits? Fiancée and I decided to get married first week of October - so scrambling to get things together. Would love a custom suit for this occasion but know the timeframe is right.

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I have the previous iteration of the Solaro, and I can tell you that compared to linen, its a "summer suit" by tradition only. I love it, but especially here in Houston, it's only a summer suit if you spend your whole day indoors in air conditioning.

On the other end of the spectrum, I keep bringing it up, but my linen/silk suit from a couple years back is without a doubt the coolest-wearing suit I own

Linen/Silk coming back for SS22. The copper will return along with a herringbone in the honey.

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Seem like a tough sell to me. The weight seems to be similiar to the VBC Covert trousers, but $100 more.

I know some goofball is going to come in to correct me on the differences between the two. No, a single twill vs. double twill weave isn't different enough.

The Dugdale is a more wooly/softer hand. The covert is very dry. The Dugdale is more matte as well.

Edit: This is also an experiment for both the MTO and the appetite for "Higher End - Branded" Fabrics. Dugdale is the clear leader for Cavalry Twill, so we'll see how many people actually care. At $248 USD it's probably the best price on offer for this cloth anywhere.

Last edited:

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Apologies for off-topic in the thread, but I have read this thread almost entirely and it inspired me to give Spier a try for a new jacket.

Q: for you Spier regulars - Is there a secret ritual or sacrifice required to get a return processed?

I'm having no luck with my first purchase. I purchased a 44 and 46 jacket to try on and want to return the 44. Spier responded and said UPS would send a pdf with a return label, but it never came. I did receive a tracking no notification. Spier doesn't answer the phone and emails are not solving my problem. So, I called UPS and they are trying to charge me $15 to schedule my pickup and are holding my return label hostage until I do so. I'm concerned as my return window is closing that this be resolved quickly.

I am in FL USA. So, UPS has me in some international shipping escalation rabbit hole like Canada is a national security threat.
Thoughts? Do you have the same difficulty returning to Spier from the US?

Oh - and the jacket is very nice - the Guabello Hopsack. I also have a C2 shirt on the way to try out, but I'm growing concerned if this will be a regular thing.

Thanks for any help/advice.

DM me the order# and check your spam/junk for the label. It gets emailed separately direct from UPS.

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
@spiermackay Rick, anymore lightweight OCBD's coming? I see the white was just restocked. Any linen dress shirts?

Not sure what got delayed in production but I'm hoping to pickup more of both.

There is a blue uni stripe in the lightweight that scheduled. As for linen, the two linen/cotton stripe shirts are all that were left for this season.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads