• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SonnyUte

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just picked up two of the new linen overshirts (in cigar and green) for spring/summer casual layering. They are fantastic! I will get a lot of use from them.
They are medium, and the fit is spot on for me. I wear S&M 16 x 34 Contemporary shirts and 42 Contemporary fit sport coats for comparison.
Though the fit is great, I wonder about shrinkage with washing? Does anyone know if S&M’s linen is preshrunk?
I have S&M linen high rise trousers which I only dry clean. Should I just dry clean these overshirts to avoid shrinkage?

dukenukem4ever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How about curating select fabrics for select pieces as you guys grow? I feel like SM has done a great job thus far introducing men to the world of fine fabrics and design.

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I just picked up two of the new linen overshirts (in cigar and green) for spring/summer casual layering. They are fantastic! I will get a lot of use from them.
They are medium, and the fit is spot on for me. I wear S&M 16 x 34 Contemporary shirts and 42 Contemporary fit sport coats for comparison.
Though the fit is great, I wonder about shrinkage with washing? Does anyone know if S&M’s linen is preshrunk?
I have S&M linen high rise trousers which I only dry clean. Should I just dry clean these overshirts to avoid shrinkage?

They are garment washed. So cold wash/hang dry, you shouldn't see much shrinkage.

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
How about curating select fabrics for select pieces as you guys grow? I feel like SM has done a great job thus far introducing men to the world of fine fabrics and design.

We have to get permission from the Mills and get the mills to provide high-res pics. Not all are willing to do so.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really like the last batch of denim shirts (now mostly S/O). Seems like the fabric is a bit more substantial than than the prior runs.

Hey @spiermackay is the fabric on the custom pink linen BD you are featuring the same as that on the RTW version 95927117-EC11-4C84-8BEF-144BE5641E3D.jpeg

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Really like the last batch of denim shirts (now mostly S/O). Seems like the fabric is a bit more substantial than than the prior runs.

Hey @spiermackay is the fabric on the custom pink linen BD you are featuring the same as that on the RTW version View attachment 1598329

Yes. The recent denim shirts were 5 oz, compared to the previous, which were 4.5 oz. The previous was a bit silkier to the touch though.

We have some new denim shirts incoming that are made with a different, but equally, soft/smooth/silky 4.5 oz. Should be here end of May.

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Meant to post these yesterday- these are the new Quest cotton trousers in Cream and Khaki:
02E18549-26B6-4219-AA78-6BF554387A07.jpeg
8FDCCFA5-D240-49F8-9E3C-3DA70B1EB299.jpeg

I would say that they remind me of much dressier chinos, but it’s a completely different weave- very comfortable though. I had thought I might need to have the waist taken out slightly, but the longer I had them on the more comfortable they became (I'm hesitant to let out cotton because of it's tendency to stretch/break in, and I've also been losing a few pounds). Could definitely use a pressing when getting hemmed though.

Edit to add: the shirt is the green S&M linen from a few weeks ago, can we take a moment to appreciate how variegated this fabric is? I'm in the process of replacing all my old Ralph Lauren linen shirts with these.

Last edited:

wilcthree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Meant to post these yesterday- these are the new Quest cotton trousers in Cream and Khaki:
View attachment 1598396 View attachment 1598397

I would say that they remind me of much dressier chinos, but it’s a completely different weave- very comfortable though. I had thought I might need to have the waist taken out slightly, but the longer I had them on the more comfortable they became. Could definitely use a pressing when getting hemmed though.
Clean. Looks like SM has a banger on their hands. Hoping something like this becomes a staple for their RTW trouser offerings.

otobgl

Reaction score
Hi @spiermackay

Can we also order this new H&S tweed, even though it is only available here:

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Checked. These are actually oldies from 2019 that we dug up. The chart is correct. They are sized to the regular shirt chart. So 1" less than this years. Thought the waist is a slight bit bigger, but the chest is to spec.

Thanks so much for checking! Unfortunately, that means I would need 15 contemporary for a similar fit to this year's 15 slim, which is of course OOS :facepalm:.

Ah well- guess I'll just binge on the new linen shirts instead lol

moimael

Reaction score
How many tries did it take to get a proper fit on an S&M MTM shirt for you guys? I tried for the first time with S&M and for some reason, the balance was worse than RTW shirts for me, even if I gave a well-fitting shirt measurement. Tight in the front, plenty of space in the back, forearms too tight, extra fabric at the pit.

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
View attachment 1598396 View attachment 1598397

I would say that they remind me of much dressier chinos, but it’s a completely different weave- very comfortable though. I had thought I might need to have the waist taken out slightly, but the longer I had them on the more comfortable they became (I'm hesitant to let out cotton because of it's tendency to stretch/break in, and I've also been losing a few pounds). Could definitely use a pressing when getting hemmed though.

This. Same with cotton jackets. Seersucker, etc. They have less give when you initially try them on, but will stretch out after a few wears.

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
How many tries did it take to get a proper fit on an S&M MTM shirt for you guys? I tried for the first time with S&M and for some reason, the balance was worse than RTW shirts for me, even if I gave a well-fitting shirt measurement. Tight in the front, plenty of space in the back, forearms too tight, extra fabric at the pit.

Send the shirt in to copy. Actually, by default, we cut the back pattern smaller, so it's strange that there is extra fabric in the back and tight in the front. Usually it would be the opposite.

Also, you're entitled to first shirt free remake now. So take advantage of that.

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hi @spiermackay

Can we also order this new H&S tweed, even though it is only available here:

No. That's commissioned by PS and sold directly though his site.

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This. Same with cotton jackets. Seersucker, etc. They have less give when you initially try them on, but will stretch out after a few wears.

I also have hesitancy to let out cotton because of the way the dye reacts (regarding fading), but yeah- for how little I would need it let out, I didn't think it was worth it.

Solid fabric choice btw- I felt like it was a small gamble because I couldn't find much info on Quest online, but this will be a good option in warmer weather.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads