• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For folks with last year's cord pants -- I see that there's a note in the item description that they're cut to have a slimmer look than the chinos. Did anyone have to size up for the cords?
The fit has changed looking at the size charts, so it probably wouldn't be accurate with last years fit. Last years fit was like a full size down (i.e. my 30 Slim fit like a 29 Extra Slim Chino). The size chart looks now like they fit like a true vanity sized 30.

Cathosuiter

Reaction score
Buying my 2nd suit, I already have a navy suit but I'm wondering which is more versatile as a 2nd - S&M's light heather gray, or their gray check. Thoughts?

Attachments

• 20A15390-AA43-49B3-845C-A8BAC052EA31.jpeg
    20A15390-AA43-49B3-845C-A8BAC052EA31.jpeg
    57.1 KB · Views: 87
  • 14A071D5-31FA-4EF9-8F17-2903CD406A0F.jpeg
    14A071D5-31FA-4EF9-8F17-2903CD406A0F.jpeg
    131.2 KB · Views: 95

Stylewords

Reaction score
The fit has changed looking at the size charts, so it probably wouldn't be accurate with last years fit. Last years fit was like a full size down (i.e. my 30 Slim fit like a 29 Extra Slim Chino). The size chart looks now like they fit like a true vanity sized 30.
I like Spier Trousers and chinos. The quality is very good for the price, but the size charts just seem to come from a random number generator. Different models of pants with the same size chart have very different measurements in reality. Add to that that they keep changing every season and it gets a bit complicated.

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Buying my 2nd suit, I already have a navy suit but I'm wondering which is more versatile as a 2nd - S&M's light heather gray, or their gray check. Thoughts?
Depends on your work environment, or the environment in which you intend to wear the suit. Generally a darker shade of gray like the second suit is more conservative and "safer". The check pattern is not too bold (at least in the photo you posted) to cause raised eyebrows in most conservative work environments, in my opinion. All things being equal I'd go with the second, since it is (presumably) work-safe, and not too stuffy that you could wear it socially to a cocktail party, etc.

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like Spier Trousers and chinos. The quality is very good for the price, but the size charts just seem to come from a random number generator. Different models of pants with the same size chart have very different measurements in reality. Add to that that they keep changing every season and it gets a bit complicated.
I believe every size chart will eventually change every season as fit improves from various peoples feedback. If a company doesn't change their size chart and fit is still wonky, they just don't take feedback seriously and stop innovating. S&M is far from that

Cathosuiter

Reaction score
Depends on your work environment, or the environment in which you intend to wear the suit. Generally a darker shade of gray like the second suit is more conservative and "safer". The check pattern is not too bold (at least in the photo you posted) to cause raised eyebrows in most conservative work environments, in my opinion. All things being equal I'd go with the second, since it is (presumably) work-safe, and not too stuffy that you could wear it socially to a cocktail party, etc.
I don't wear them in a work environment, only at mass on Sunday or when I just feel like dressing stylishly. I know darker gray is generally more formal which might seem better for mass etc but nowadays nobody really wears suits anyway so I feel like light gray it totally acceptable in that environment. I'm also wondering which would be be better for mix & matching, being my wardrobe is pretty small starting out. If either could successfully be paired with either of my navy garments that'd be a plus. Again, complete newbie here just trying to learn as much as I can!

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't wear them in a work environment, only at mass on Sunday or when I just feel like dressing stylishly. I know darker gray is generally more formal which might seem better for mass etc but nowadays nobody really wears suits anyway so I feel like light gray it totally acceptable in that environment. I'm also wondering which would be be better for mix & matching, being my wardrobe is pretty small starting out. If either could successfully be paired with either of my navy garments that'd be a plus. Again, complete newbie here just trying to learn as much as I can!
No worries. Obviously the culture within different parishes varies wildly, so only you know whether either of those suits would be acceptable at your particular parish for Mass. Also consider that the color and pattern of your shirt and tie affect this, too. I would suppose that either of those two suits would work for most, although the light gray to me is more of a spring/summer color, whereas the darker one is a year-round color. Others may disagree, but I wouldn't mix and match either of those two suits.

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I think I am definitely going to pull the trigger on a suit, but still wondering about if I should go Slim or Contemporary. Wearing my 36R Slim, and doing the big test (i.e. palms crossed touching opposite shoulders), it is slightly tight in back and upper arm, and same thing when reaching arms out 90 degrees in front of me.
For those of you that wear a SC or Suit mostly everyday, should it be like this or is this signs of being a bit too tight in chest/arms, or just due to larger armholes? If so, should I go up to 36R Contemporary?

Cathosuiter

Reaction score
No worries. Obviously the culture within different parishes varies wildly, so only you know whether either of those suits would be acceptable at your particular parish for Mass. Also consider that the color and pattern of your shirt and tie affect this, too. I would suppose that either of those two suits would work for most, although the light gray to me is more of a spring/summer color, whereas the darker one is a year-round color. Others may disagree, but I wouldn't mix and match either of those two suits.
I agree with the lighter gray being more of a warmer weather color, so that works down here in south carolina where winters are short. However I am still very drawn to the darker gray check. I appreciate your input friend!

anonymouz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For folks with last year's cord pants -- I see that there's a note in the item description that they're cut to have a slimmer look than the chinos. Did anyone have to size up for the cords?

Yes, size up for last year's 5 pocket cords.

I’ve been hearing about these! Photos would be appreciated!
I agree, photos would be nice

A few quick pics:
aLaaL89.jpg

The two buttoning configurations I can think of:
GyHYLeI.jpg

hPmYhAc.jpg

DFWWingnut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the just dropped 5 pocket cords include front pocket rivets? Odd that the pictures don't include a front view.

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the just dropped 5 pocket cords include front pocket rivets? Odd that the pictures don't include a front view.
Wearing last seasons right now, and they do not have rivets. My assumption would be the new iteration probably doesn't either

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads