• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dapperclassic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Zigbone Burgundy Birdseye has landed. Love the pattern! Now I just have to wait until the S&M store open up again in TO so I can alter all these sportscoats I've amassed :confused2: Looks like it might be a while.

View attachment 1534489 View attachment 1534490

Looks good! How would you describe the fabric? Smooth like a suit cloth or quite textured?
Also had my doubts if this was 100% wool as the previous year Zignone were wool/silk blends - how does it feel to touch and what does the label say about fabric composition?

tripreed

Reaction score
I took a look at those denim shirts. I don't know how I feel about the standard sleeve length for the 16 1/2 slim being 36. Seems like it will bunch on the arm. No ability to select the sleeve length?

Yeah, I was considering dipping my toe in the denim shirt water, but the lack of sleeve lengths was a dealbreaker for me.

wilcthree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I was considering dipping my toe in the denim shirt water, but the lack of sleeve lengths was a dealbreaker for me.
Speaking of which, anyone have any IRL photos of the medium wash denim shirt? I want see how they compare to the light wash.

DcDrape

Reaction score
I am 192 cm which is about 6 feet 3 inches. I wear long jackets from S&M and their high rise contemporary trousers. Jackets button about one inch above my belly button and trouser sit about one inch below my belly button. This is close enough to eliminate the shirt triangel. You dont need to go full "rib hugger" with your trousers.

S&M, cavour, natalino and others offer sligthly higher rise trousers.

I am curious about other brands you have went with for sports jackets/suits. I am also 6'3 and I would love to try brands like cavour and natalino but, them not having a long option, I am nervous it will be far too short.

c.bisesar

Reaction score
Looks good! How would you describe the fabric? Smooth like a suit cloth or quite textured?
Also had my doubts if this was 100% wool as the previous year Zignone were wool/silk blends - how does it feel to touch and what does the label say about fabric composition?

I would say it's closer to suit cloth, although just a hair more textured. Label says 100% wool and I'm inclined to think that's accurate. I don't think I've got anything that's a wool/silk blend to compare it too, but compared to my other 100% wool jackets they match.

norMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am curious about other brands you have went with for sports jackets/suits. I am also 6'3 and I would love to try brands like cavour and natalino but, them not having a long option, I am nervous it will be far too short.

I have jackets from S&M, suitsupply and berg and berg. All long. Cavour mod 1 is too short, i have not tried their mod 2.

tripreed

Reaction score
Go to a tailor and get then shortened ?‍♂️

Have you done this successfully? I have a good tailor and have no problem taking jackets to her to get the sleeves shortened or getting pants hemmed, but shortening shirt sleeves from the top just seems like a lot. Also, getting a $50 from from SM and then spending--what?--$30 to get the sleeves shortened seems to be kind of silly to me. It'd be cheaper to buy MTM.

wildcat10

Reaction score
Have you done this successfully? I have a good tailor and have no problem taking jackets to her to get the sleeves shortened or getting pants hemmed, but shortening shirt sleeves from the top just seems like a lot. Also, getting a $50 from from SM and then spending--what?--$30 to get the sleeves shortened seems to be kind of silly to me. It'd be cheaper to buy MTM.
I'm curious to know what sleeve shortening would cost and if the work comes out ok. I've taken plenty of sportcoats to get sleeves shortened, but never a shirt.

RajunCajun

Reaction score
I too have short arms relative to my body. Wonderful how getting into tailoring exposes the body's myriad quirks, oddities, and imperfections, isn't it? Never been more self-conscious than after a visit to the ol' tailor

I just returned a shirt from Eton that I blind bought online. It was a denim shirt that came in a 16 1/2 neck but the standard (i.e. no ability to select the length) sleeve length was 36 1/2. I'm 6'2" and the sleeve bunching made it unwearable even with a jacket on. I know now that I can't go longer than a 35 in a blind buy. Too bad, the shirt looks lovely.

mbb355

Reaction score
I have jackets from S&M, suitsupply and berg and berg. All long. Cavour mod 1 is too short, i have not tried their mod 2.
For brands that lack a long option, you could size up then nip the waist and shorten sleeves as necessary. I've done that and been happy with the results.

DcDrape

Reaction score
For brands that lack a long option, you could size up then nip the waist and shorten sleeves as necessary. I've done that and been happy with the results.

Yeah the only issue I've had with that is that I have pretty narrow shoulders for my height, but I am sure that some brands that are more slim to begin with I could probably try that method.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads