• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, I just got in my first S&M suit. I ordered it custom so that it would be extra special. I am loving the fabric. The Pants fit me like a glove. But the jacket, to my extreme dismay, is a bit too small in the waist. The shoulders are perfect. The length is perfect. Without even wearing a tie, I can just barely get it buttoned. I ordered a 48R, and throughout my whole life, I have never had a 48R be tight on my waist. If anything, they tend to need a little waist suppression. In keeping with that, I ordered the suit with about 1 inch off the waist. I now regret this decision.

That all being said, does anyone know how much fabric reserve might be available in one of their suit jackets? Obviously, I cannot return this because it is custom. Could I send it back to them to be corrected, if so how long would y'all think the turnaround would be.

And yes, I am currently cursing my hubris for stepping straight into custom.

I don’t know how much, but there should be enough to let it out a little bit. You might shoot S&M a message to see how much, but a tailor should be able to deconstruct it enough fairly easily to tell you.

Another point for S&M: I brought some suits to an alterations tailor who's been in this business for 30+ years and he said that the jackets were "really well made, especially in the inside" (I'm guessing he meant the construction/canvassing in particular). This guy once told me that I shouldn't really spend time differentiating between suits under ~US$1.2K because from his perspective the differences in quality were marginal (jake's on him I can't afford multiple US$1.2K suits) so it's really high praise from him.

He did kinda **** on the inconsistency in the pants' make though, especially in how pants that were all ostensibly the contemp. 30 would have different back rise lengths.

my tailor does very well regarded bespoke and has made the same comments about the quality of S&M construction and fabrics, they’ve been shocked when I’ve told them the pricing.

Yeh I was about to ask the same thing. There is small button with no button hole. My other cardigan has something similar with that has buttonhole for windy days. I'm wondering if this is defect or QC issue.
Nvm, found the loop LOL. Completely not noticeable. At least now I know it has its use.

View attachment 1487697

It has use, but it’s completely useless for me lol

Yeah, but the question is whether I'm suave enough to pull it off ?

I’ve told people for years that my sense of style is an utter lack of give a damn- it’s how I justify loud colors and patterns lol.

actually swapped out for gun club post-photo. The power has been out for 4 days so don’t @ me for wrinkly jeans.
View attachment 1488015

What jeans are those? Looks kind of like Wranglers?

cr2596

Reaction score
For those who don't own the Ecru/Off White oxford, you should get one while they last. Love this thing.

IMG_4852.jpg

jake2011rt

Reaction score
I don’t know how much, but there should be enough to let it out a little bit. You might shoot S&M a message to see how much, but a tailor should be able to deconstruct it enough fairly easily to tell you.

my tailor does very well regarded bespoke and has made the same comments about the quality of S&M construction and fabrics, they’ve been shocked when I’ve told them the pricing.

It has use, but it’s completely useless for me lol

I’ve told people for years that my sense of style is an utter lack of give a damn- it’s how I justify loud colors and patterns lol.

What jeans are those? Looks kind of like Wranglers?
Thanks. Someone gave this suit to me as a gift and expects me to wear it to an event on New Years Eve, so I am kind of freaking out about it.

Jason12

Reaction score
to anyone with suitsupply, is the contemporary standard cut similar to the Havana from Susu? ie. 38 havana = 38 contemporary as I haven't tried spier yet but there is something unique in the final sale so not sure of the risk. The measurements chart seem very similar

nqtri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
to anyone with suitsupply, is the contemporary standard cut similar to the Havana from Susu? ie. 38 havana = 38 contemporary as I haven't tried spier yet but there is something unique in the final sale so not sure of the risk. The measurements chart seem very similar
I find Susu Havana 38 fits the same as S&M 38 slim. S&M might actually be a tag more comfortable, I can't really remember.

wafflingwaffles

Reaction score

SM contemp fits almost identically to Lazio in my experience and according to measuremnet charts except lazio is a tiny bit shorter and I think Havana is very similar to Lazio except Havana is a bit shorter

so prob contemp vs havana exactly the same except contemp a bit longer

Last edited:

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

SS Havana is tighter, more trim, shorter than S&M SLIM

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
actually swapped out for gun club post-photo. The power has been out for 4 days so don’t @ me for wrinkly jeans.
View attachment 1488015

First, outfit looks great, wrinkles are forgiven.
Second, by the way you’re dressed, and the fact that your posting, one might assume, other than no power, you are relatively unscathed by the recent storm? If so, I am happy for you.
Lastly, here’s hoping your power returns soon.

Reaction score
What are your experiences with customer service? I've ordered products and while I am amazed with the quality of materials, the products also have stains and wildly inaccurate sizes. So far customer service has been extremely unhelpful and honestly pretty rude in resolving that.

Ezio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SM Contemporary jackets are what you guys are talking about right? I find it hard to believe Havana jackets are equivalent to SM Contemporary. SS's aesthetic is so slim and tight.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone tried the new western snap button shirts? Love to pick one up, but find, per the fit charts, that I am between sizes, and may have to choose between too short sleeves or too wide neck. I hate S-M-L-XL sizing for this reason. I guess, with a shirt like this that never gets buttoned at the collar, that you choose sleeve length over collar size.

Also, per the fit chart, it looks like they are running 2 inches shorter than comparably sized dress shirts. I suppose they are made to be worn untucked? Even so, that sounds very short to me.

Last edited:

MacGuffen

Reaction score
What are your experiences with customer service? I've ordered products and while I am amazed with the quality of materials, the products also have stains and wildly inaccurate sizes. So far customer service has been extremely unhelpful and honestly pretty rude in resolving that.
Just speculation on my part, but my theory is they have multiple people writing under the same name to give a more personal "friendly customer service" flair. Every time I have a problem I have to explain my problem over and over, even though it's quoted in previous e-mails. And over time they "forget" what the problem is.

Don't even get me started on the back and forth I had with "MTO-Haris" about the embarrassing failure to fix the the defective canvas in my MTO - at one point he wanted me to pay $120 for the return from Europe!

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone tried the new western snap button shirts? Love to pick one up, but find, per the fit charts, that I am between sizes, and may have to choose between too short sleeves or too wide neck. I hate S-M-L-XL sizing for this reason. I guess, with a shirt like this that never gets buttoned at the collar, that you choose sleeve length over collar size.

Also, per the fit chart, it looks like they are running 2 inches shorter than comparably sized dress shirts. I suppose they are made to be worn untucked? Even so, that sounds very short to me.
yea they are meant to be worn untucked, Rick posted that on the Instagram post when they were announced. Untucked realistically is about 1-2” shorter than their dress shirts. Should hit about mid to upper fly when standing straight.
Although yea, I’d say sleeve length over neck as the top probably isn’t going to be buttoned at all

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads