• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got my recent S&M order (not pictured is the blue & white brushed gingham shirt). Shirt is definitely a great addition.

Chino shorts are the best fitting shorts I’ve ever worn in the Slim 30, I didn’t even know this is how good shorts could fit. Definitely more next summer please and don’t change the fit ??

Copper chino’s are a great FW colour, and the Army Surplus Green is a great olive tone for year round use.

Long sleeve polo is definitely SLIM fit, got an XS with chest size of 36. Should’ve went small, but still fits. Great shirt for upcoming FW season.

Attachments

• 781B0C9D-280D-4D5F-A7E9-5CEC85FC5A04.jpeg
    781B0C9D-280D-4D5F-A7E9-5CEC85FC5A04.jpeg
    182.7 KB · Views: 113

dapperclassic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got my recent S&M order (not pictured is the blue & white brushed gingham shirt). Shirt is definitely a great addition.

Chino shorts are the best fitting shorts I’ve ever worn in the Slim 30, I didn’t even know this is how good shorts could fit. Definitely more next summer please and don’t change the fit ??

Copper chino’s are a great FW colour, and the Army Surplus Green is a great olive tone for year round use.

Long sleeve polo is definitely SLIM fit, got an XS with chest size of 36. Should’ve went small, but still fits. Great shirt for upcoming FW season.

Great pickups! What colour are the shorts?

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't wear anything slimmer than your contemporary fit. Please do not eliminate that pattern for us men who like leg day.
I am one of those who like the extra slim fit, but it is still not slim enough from the knee down for me compared to other brands I have worn. It is still more of a "classic fit" chino than extra slim by any means. Fit in the seat and thigh is excellent in the extra slim, however

bicycleradical

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am one of those who like the extra slim fit, but it is still not slim enough from the knee down for me compared to other brands I have worn. It is still more of a "classic fit" chino than extra slim by any means. Fit in the seat and thigh is excellent in the extra slim, however

I hear that. My build is relatively slim up top and not slim in the least at the bottom so my problem becomes trouser fit.

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hear that. My build is relatively slim up top and not slim in the least at the bottom so my problem becomes trouser fit.
I have had issues with other brands where the seat would not hug my rear and would have a bunch of extra fabric, fit okay in the thigh, and fit great from knee down, but couldn't size down. The spier has absolutely no extra fabric bunched in the seat and thigh in the Extra Slim, but slightly more excess in the knee down. Easily fixable with a tailor, but I'd rather just deal with the hemming than also taper the trousers for now; it is definitely a tolerable amount of excess, however.

jake2011rt

Reaction score
I am ordering my first S&M suit, and it's my first custom suit. I am struggling a little with the measurements. I had my tailor take down my measurements in preparation for ordering, but some of them seem a bit off from the standard sizes I get when I put in my waist and chest size. Here is the relevant data:

1. S&M Standard 2. Tailor
Coat 48R
Chest: 49.6 Chest: 48
Waist: 45.3 Waist: 44
Shoulder: 19.9 Over Arms: 57
Jacket Length: 31.9 Jacket Length: ukn
Sleeve Length: 26.8 Sleeve Length: 35

Trousers 44x31
Waist: 45.5 Waist: 44
Hip: 53.5 Hip: 48
Thigh: 32.5 Thigh: 27

Hem: 19 Hem: 18
Inseam: 31 Inseam: 31
Rise: 12.5 Rise: ukn

The red numbers are the ones I am most worried about. I don't think I have that wonky of a body. For some more perspective, I am 6'2" and 265lbs. I carry almost all of my weight around my chest and waist, with little to no butt and relatively muscular thighs and calves. This usually results in pants that are far to voluminous on my legs if they properly fit my waist. I just would hate to order a nice custom suit only to have it arrive fitting very poorly.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am ordering my first S&M suit, and it's my first custom suit. I am struggling a little with the measurements. I had my tailor take down my measurements in preparation for ordering, but some of them seem a bit off from the standard sizes I get when I put in my waist and chest size. Here is the relevant data:

1. S&M Standard 2. Tailor
Coat 48R
Chest: 49.6 Chest: 48
Waist: 45.3 Waist: 44
Shoulder: 19.9 Over Arms: 57
Jacket Length: 31.9 Jacket Length: ukn
Sleeve Length: 26.8 Sleeve Length: 35

Trousers 44x31
Waist: 45.5 Waist: 44
Hip: 53.5 Hip: 48
Thigh: 32.5 Thigh: 27

Hem: 19 Hem: 18
Inseam: 31 Inseam: 31
Rise: 12.5 Rise: ukn

The red numbers are the ones I am most worried about. I don't think I have that wonky of a body. For some more perspective, I am 6'2" and 265lbs. I carry almost all of my weight around my chest and waist, with little to no butt and relatively muscular thighs and calves. This usually results in pants that are far to voluminous on my legs if they properly fit my waist. I just would hate to order a nice custom suit only to have it arrive fitting very poorly.
The measurements on S&M’s website are for the garment. Are your tailor’s measurements your body measurements? If so, it is normal for the garment measurements to be larger than body for jacket chest, waist, trouser thigh, etc since you don’t want a literally skin tight suit. The sleeve length from your tailor was probably from your neck to your wrist (as for shirt sleeve measurement) and the S&M measurement is from the shoulder seam to the end of the sleeve. Overarm measurement is completely different from the jacket shoulder measurement, which is probably measured straight across the back from shoulder seam to shoulder seam.
You should also compare measurements from clothes that fit you well to those on S&M’s website.

jake2011rt

Reaction score
The measurements on S&M’s website are for the garment. Are your tailor’s measurements your body measurements? If so, it is normal for the garment measurements to be larger than body for jacket chest, waist, trouser thigh, etc since you don’t want a literally skin tight suit. The sleeve length from your tailor was probably from your neck to your wrist (as for shirt sleeve measurement) and the S&M measurement is from the shoulder seam to the end of the sleeve. Overarm measurement is completely different from the jacket shoulder measurement, which is probably measured straight across the back from shoulder seam to shoulder seam.
You should also compare measurements from clothes that fit you well to those on S&M’s website.
I asked them to measure me for a made to measure suit. My concern is less that the numbers are different, but that the hips and thighs are so much bigger. As I said, I have relatively small hips and butt, so I do not want my trousers to be too huge on my legs. I figured on the sleeve length and shoulders. I took the measurement for those on a coat that fits me well and got a reasonable number in comparison to their standard sizing.

pmestrad

Reaction score
Rick, you may have said this before, but will there be a lot of shirts added to custom any time soon? Looking for some new shirts.

jake2011rt

Reaction score
Also, you would recommend I just measure the thighs, for example, on a pair of pants that I like and go off of that?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads