• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone know if these pants are a match with the green sportcoat from SS19?

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey folks, how slim do the casual corduroy trousers actually fit? I haven't purchased any of S&M's trousers yet, but they only have a 28 slim in stock currently in golden beige. I usually wear a 29x30 chino/denim, but taking my measurements it "seems" I can fit in the 28 slim. I also want to test with the 30 extra slim chino. Opinions?
I sized up from a 33 on contemporary dress trousers to a 34 on contemporary casual trousers and they fit the same.

They ran one size small IIRC.

I find contemporary to be a tapered slim, but I have chunky thighs.

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I sized up from a 33 on contemporary dress trousers to a 34 on contemporary casual trousers and they fit the same.

They ran one size small IIRC.

I find contemporary to be a tapered slim, but I have chunky thighs.
Okay, hmmm. I will probably try the 30 extra slim chino’s, but unsure if I should try the slim cord’s in 28 or not as idk if @spiermackay will have more casual cords this FW20 season as I really like the golden beige colour. Decisions

SoundBrewer

Reaction score
Put me down as one who is very excited for more room in the pants. I’ve been needing that.
The jackets have fit great, but I’ve needed to choose between a loose waist or tight legs until now. I’m anxious to see how the 2 pairs of fresco trousers I ordered fit now.

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@spiermackay

thoughts on my first S&M suit? I ordered this 40S contemporary based off my measurements. I read S&M cuts are more "european" and figured slim would be too skinny, but here I feel like I'm swimming in the pants and jacket. Unsure if I should exchange for 40S slim or even 38S, or just take it to my tailor. I'm 5'8 175lb.

View attachment 1399915 View attachment 1399914 View attachment 1399913 View attachment 1399919 View attachment 1399916 View attachment 1399918

You probably need a 38S Contemporary. 40S Slim wouldn't fix that much excess fabric on the back.

hschrapel

Reaction score
Have yet to go SM MTM. What are some of the QC issues you've (or any others) experienced?
I've made 3 seperate MTM orders, 2 of which had to be completely redone. I love their shirts, and I love their custom service for fixing everything up; but QC has been very **** in my experience.

For example, I ordered 3 shirts in November/December. Recieved them earlier in the year, and all 3 were missing the pleated shoulder I requested, I believe they weren't washed before cut as I requested and 1 had misalligned buttons on the button down collar.

Noted this to customer service, they placed a reorder for me, and I requested they send it directly from the factory to me, here in the EU (previously I have had this done). They failed to do that, and they sent it to Canada, where it has been posted to me from there.

At the moment, this package is lost. The tracking says it was posted out around 2-3 months ago, and tracking shows it having left New York, but all this time later, still hasn't reached me. Covid obviously played a role in this, and S&M shouldn't be held accountable, but that's just my recent expierence for you.

Would still order again though!

wiffenaus

Reaction score
You probably need a 38S Contemporary. 40S Slim wouldn't fix that much excess fabric on the back.

Thanks. There is a ton of material in the seat and thigh too. Think I should size down and just have my tailor let out the waist? Guilty of putting on some quarantine weight here.

Last edited:

losrockets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I'm interested in MTM-ing my first cream dinner jacket. Leaning toward wool since it's my first one. I live in Texas and it's often quite warm and humid in the summertime, which would be the general context for when I would wear such a garment, so a more open weave, or something blended with mohair would be nice. I've identified Dugdale 8724, H&S 976032, and H&S 976018 so far as possible candidates. Thoughts? @Andy57 made up a beautiful DB dinner jacket in the 976032 so I'm leaning toward that. Any other fabrics or directions y'all would recommend based on the books @spiermackay has available for MTM?

Last edited:

tayyabp

Reaction score
cotton rust.jpg

Hi everyone, I'm new to the Style Forum family. Am a huge Spier and Mackay addict based in Canada.

Suppose I should probably post this. Went triple linen here with Spier and Mackay's rust cotton sport coat, their wonderful blue wide stripe linen button-down, and some grey linen trousers from Luigi Baldo.

I actually got the rust cotton trousers as well to make it a suit, right before they went out of stock. The fabric for the sport coat and trousers is incredible. It's not like chinos but a really luxurious, satin-finished, smooth cotton with a slight shine to it. It's hard to show on camera.

tayyabp

Reaction score
hopsack.jpg

charcoal.jpg

mint.jpg

corduroy.jpg

rust.jpg

And some recent suiting pickups from Spier and Mackay. I apologize for the low quality of my camera/lighting. Will pick up a DSLR at some point soon.

Added a photo of my Neopolitan cut full-canvassed charcoal Sartoria Partenopea suit as well, to show how it looks compared to the Neopolitan cut navy hopsack suit by Spier and Mackay. Honestly I'm astounded that you can get this sort of Neopolitan styling at such a low price.

Last edited:

mossrockss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Summer tweed MTO. Full canvas Neapolitan, Milanese buttonhole, 3 button functional sleeves, patch ticking pocket, extra shirring at the shoulder.

View attachment 1400397
let us know how you like that patch ticking pocket. some hate it with a passion reserved for satan himself

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads