• We would like to welcome Exquisite Trimmings as an official Affiliate Vendor. Exquisite Trimmings is a UK based purveyor of the very best in clothing and accessories, from gloves by Thomas Reimer to leather portfolios from Il Micio, to watch rolls by Rapport London. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

wiffenaus

Reaction score
@spiermackay

thoughts on my first S&M suit? I ordered this 40S contemporary based off my measurements. I read S&M cuts are more "european" and figured slim would be too skinny, but here I feel like I'm swimming in the pants and jacket. Unsure if I should exchange for 40S slim or even 38S, or just take it to my tailor. I'm 5'8 175lb.

IMG_0766.JPG
IMG_0765.JPG
IMG_0763.JPG
IMG_0770.JPG
IMG_0768.JPG
IMG_0769.JPG

Last edited:

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's kind of my dilemma. There isn't really anything cheaper than S&M for MTM and customizability and quality, but the quality CONTROL itself feels like "you get what you pay for".
Have yet to go SM MTM. What are some of the QC issues you've (or any others) experienced?

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hold on, J. I haven't really been following along at home.
Totally unstructured means no canvas, ya?

That army fatigue suit is quite a looker.
correct, no canvas

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have yet to go SM MTM. What are some of the QC issues you've (or any others) experienced?
#1 was a communication issue. What I specified often wasn't what I received, tolerance would always be added, sometimes double tolerance. There would be mix ups with what was "on file" for my body measurements as well. It seemed like it had to go through 3-4 communication channels to finally reach the actual factory worker, and I'm sure part of it got lost in translation.

I've had other shirts where the buttonhole ripped after one wash.

Another shirt where the specs weren't followed and I ended up receiving popeye forearms.

conak

Reaction score
@spiermackay Why’d you limit the shipping countries on the new site? Finally some cotton suits But I can no longer order...WHY!?

SmoothLefty

Reaction score
Re: an MTM linen shirt, what do folks recommend for the collar lining? Like many others in here, I love the classic unlined/unfused OCBD collar roll but I don't know if it'd be too flimsy with linen fabric.

I see on the website that the RTW linen shirts have an unlined/unfused collar. Can anyone who owns one chime in with their thoughts on the collar?

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Re: an MTM linen shirt, what do folks recommend for the collar lining? Like many others in here, I love the classic unlined/unfused OCBD collar roll but I don't know if it'd be too flimsy with linen fabric.

I see on the website that the RTW linen shirts have an unlined/unfused collar. Can anyone who owns one chime in with their thoughts on the collar?
If you want a collar roll, lightly lined and unfused.

I've gone with unlined and unfused and it just looks dumpy.

Requesting one piece collar helps too IMO.

kurckrec

Reaction score
Anyone know how the color of the light brown linen jacket compares to last years tobacco and cigar linen?

XxLogo

Reaction score
Hey folks, how slim do the casual corduroy trousers actually fit? I haven't purchased any of S&M's trousers yet, but they only have a 28 slim in stock currently in golden beige. I usually wear a 29x30 chino/denim, but taking my measurements it "seems" I can fit in the 28 slim. I also want to test with the 30 extra slim chino. Opinions?

XxLogo

Reaction score
The navy and green washed cotton sportcoats are totally calling my name. Sick price! Unfortunately, I picked up way too many SS sportcoats this year so I gotta pass and save up for FW20. But wow!
This is me right now, need to save for that chunky cardigan personally lol

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone know if these pants are a match with the green sportcoat from SS19?

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey folks, how slim do the casual corduroy trousers actually fit? I haven't purchased any of S&M's trousers yet, but they only have a 28 slim in stock currently in golden beige. I usually wear a 29x30 chino/denim, but taking my measurements it "seems" I can fit in the 28 slim. I also want to test with the 30 extra slim chino. Opinions?
I sized up from a 33 on contemporary dress trousers to a 34 on contemporary casual trousers and they fit the same.

They ran one size small IIRC.

I find contemporary to be a tapered slim, but I have chunky thighs.

XxLogo

Reaction score
I sized up from a 33 on contemporary dress trousers to a 34 on contemporary casual trousers and they fit the same.

They ran one size small IIRC.

I find contemporary to be a tapered slim, but I have chunky thighs.
Okay, hmmm. I will probably try the 30 extra slim chino’s, but unsure if I should try the slim cord’s in 28 or not as idk if @spiermackay will have more casual cords this FW20 season as I really like the golden beige colour. Decisions

SoundBrewer

Reaction score
Put me down as one who is very excited for more room in the pants. I’ve been needing that.
The jackets have fit great, but I’ve needed to choose between a loose waist or tight legs until now. I’m anxious to see how the 2 pairs of fresco trousers I ordered fit now.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite summer fabric?

• Seersucker

• Fresco

• Linen

• Silk

Results are only viewable after voting.