• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JTrent82

Reaction score
It's actually the Dark Brown Mix PS370 2002/17.

The Fox fabric is a soft flannel and the ME is also softer to the touch being Merino. Usually, those kind of fabrics are not my first choices. I personally prefer more rustic looking and rough to the touch fabrics for FW, yet not as spongy as Harris Tweed for two simple reasons: the too country looking characteristic lending it to be too casual for my environment and the fact that Harris Tweed is difficult to work with for tailors which increases the margin of error.

The ME herringbone is reminiscent of the one I have from Moon.
I see. It's no longer listed- it may be discontinued but hopefully it's just sold out for the year. What a beautiful shade though!

havingaraveup

Reaction score
Hi all! I'm thinking of getting a spier MTO suit for my wedding after getting one OTR this year and really liking it. My only issue with it is that the shoulders are probably a quarter inch too wide, and there's just a touch too much beefiness in the chest.

I have a couple questions for those who have been through this before. Is the unpadded spier shoulder (not the spalla camicia one) WHOLLY unpadded, or is there some canvas from the chest that sits on the shoulder?

Also, is their no-canvas option actually without any canvas, even in the lapel? I know a lot of Neapolitan tailors will have extremely lightweight canvas in their unstructured suits, and was wondering if Spier's was like that or more of a shirt-jacket.

Would it be sensible to have an unpadded shoulder and a half-canvas chest?

Shoeaffic

Reaction score
Anyone happen to purchase this Sportcoat? I believe it was from F22, but the fabric is still available via MTO.
View attachment 2086933
I did. Love it. The texture is super soft. The only issue is it is relatively dark, and has grayish hues, so it's not a pure green. But depending on what you're going for, it could be even more versatile.

Rhodia

Reaction score
I did. Love it. The texture is super soft. The only issue is it is relatively dark, and has grayish hues, so it's not a pure green. But depending on what you're going for, it could be even more versatile.
Are you still able to wear it with mid-gray to charcoal trousers?

Jamesbond1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's actually the Dark Brown Mix PS370 2002/17.

The Fox fabric is a soft flannel and the ME is also softer to the touch being Merino. Usually, those kind of fabrics are not my first choices. I personally prefer more rustic looking and rough to the touch fabrics for FW, yet not as spongy as Harris Tweed for two simple reasons: the too country looking characteristic lending it to be too casual for my environment and the fact that Harris Tweed is difficult to work with for tailors which increases the margin of error.

The ME herringbone is reminiscent of the one I have from Moon.
Who is your tailor? Harris tweed is difficult for your tailor? Is linen also difficult for your tailor ? As it creases a lot ? Never heard of this before from any made to measure tailors that I have worked with?

Yes it is a bit rustic and that may not fit your style or wardrobe.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Who is your tailor? Harris tweed is difficult for your tailor? Is linen also difficult for your tailor ? As it creases a lot ? Never heard of this before from any made to measure tailors that I have worked with?

Yes it is a bit rustic and that may not fit your style or wardrobe.
Many tailors claim this. Creasing is not an issue. Harris Tweed is spongy and has a loose weave, hence is prone to shrinkage when steamed during the production process. Something that is difficult to account for. That's why it's seldomly on spec. If you grabbed last year's and this year's iterations of the grey herringbone Harris Tweed SCs from S&M for example you'd know that. Even Rick has confirmed that they weren't not on spec (but within margin of error or borderline imo).

Jamesbond1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Many tailors claim this. Creasing is not an issue. Harris Tweed is spongy and has a loose weave, hence is prone to shrinkage when steamed during the production process. Something that is difficult to account for. That's why it's seldomly on spec. If you grabbed last year's and this year's iterations of the grey herringbone Harris Tweed SCs from S&M for example you'd know that. Even Rick has confirmed that they weren't not on spec (but within margin of error or borderline imo).

You are talking about a mass produced garment not a one off! If his made to measure is the same way now then it’s time to jump ship!

I can send anything I want to the factory I use in China no questions asked. And they all come to spec as made to measure should be. And it does not matter if I choose to pay for all machine made or extra for handmade/ machine made.

Made to measure by Spier and yes it is Harris Tweed it’s been a while though
IMG_1200.jpeg
IMG_6590.jpeg
IMG_7735.jpeg

Last edited:

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You are talking about a mass produced garment not a one off! If his made to measure is the same way now then it’s time to jump ship!

I can send anything I want to the factory I use in China no questions asked. And they all come to spec as made to measure should be. And it does not matter if I choose to pay for all machine made or extra for handmade/ machine made.

Made to measure by Spier and yes it is Harris Tweed it’s been a while though View attachment 2093989 View attachment 2093993 View attachment 2093995
Nice jacket, but the pic doesn't prove anything, unfortunately. I'm not talking about Spier specifically, I just mentioned them because it's their affiliate thread. I'm talking generally.

Make what you wish out of it, but this is a simple fact. A fabric with a looser weave will shrink more than any other fabric once it's steamed. This can't be accounted for correctly every single time during the production. Therefor, a fabric with a loose weave such as HT will be more difficult to work with and get right every single time. That's simply how natural fibers behave under duress. It's not my subjective opinion of the matter.

Last edited:

Jamesbond1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice jacket, but the pic doesn't prove anything, unfortunately. I'm not talking about Spier specifically, I just mentioned them because it's their affiliate thread. I'm talking generally.

Make what you wish out of it, but this is a simple fact. A fabric with a looser weave will shrink more than any other fabric once it's steamed. This can't be accounted for correctly every single time during the production. Therefor, a fabric with a loose weave such as HT will be more difficult to work with and get right every single time. That's simply how natural fibers behave under duress. It's not my subjective opinion of the matter.
That’s why real tailors steam fabric before they cut it.
Factories don’t care once they ship it it is their problem.

You need to get a real tailor!

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That’s why real tailors steam fabric before they cut it.
Factories don’t care once they ship it it is their problem.

You need to get a real tailor!
cool-story-bro-4.jpg

Please visit a factory in order to learn how the production actually works. Steaming and ironing is an ongoing process during production. Natural fibers aren't static.

Jamesbond1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 2094235

Please visit a factory in order to learn how the production actually works. Steaming and ironing is an ongoing process during production. Natural fibers aren't static.
Please sit with a bespoke tailor to see how a garment is made!

You can use your tailor who does not like Harris Tweed I’ll use mine who likes anything I ask them to make.

You know what you know so no point taking this further!

Knowledge is power! You have it!!

St1X

Reaction score

You can use your tailor who does not like Harris Tweed I’ll use mine who likes anything I ask them to make.

Bespoke isn't always a pinnacle of tailoring. I've seen a lot of bespoke that looks unamusing and I personally prefer MTM. Cost & quality is much better

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Seriously, what are you talking about lol? Aside from that fact that DR is objectively correct (different fabrics are different/can be more or less difficult to work with), the assertion that bespoke/MTM equals all garments coming back exactly on spec is laugh out loud funny. If your tailor/factory nails it every time, he/she/they (and I'm not even goofing with the trio here) may be the singular exception the world over.

In any event, bizarre tangent, but, alas...it is SF.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coongameb52