Art Deco.

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by whnay., Jul 23, 2008.

1. rdawson808

rdawson808 Senior member

I'm a huge deco fan. I absolutely love it. But I love what I call "Deco-lite". That is, not the overdone black and silver Hollywood vision of deco. Rather, deco furniture and accessories mixed with bits from adjacent styles (nouveu, etc.). Maybe more 20s US where you are seeing that transition from Nouveau to Deco. But the Nouveau has to be "lite" too.

b

2. Dragon

Dragon Senior member

It`s too edgy for me, but here`s an interesting modern art deco design from Japan:

[​IMG]

3. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike Senior member

I have a liking for art deco silver; here's some examples/eye candy, mostly Norwegian/Scandinavian stuff. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Lucky Strike

5. Lucky Strike

6. Lucky Strike

And finally, some furniture and various other stuff: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

What carpets are used in these interiors?

8. whnay.

whnay. Senior member Dubiously Honored

Love that clock LS.

9. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I walk by this place every once in a while. Really phenomenal looking stuff in the windows: http://www.highstyledeco.com/html/index.html
    How does this place work? Do they make everything themselves? Their website doesn't describe any manufacturers, just the name of the product.

10. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

What carpets are used in these interiors?

I feel dog fur.

11. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

Can anyone tell me the name of a particular French Art Deco furniture maker. They are known for, among other things, Elephant Club Chairs.
    The name is something like: Pierre Coutet Blandain

But obviously, it is not that.

12. Lucky Strike

13. dopey

Ruhlmann?

[​IMG]

That is nearly the chair, but not the maker. Does that chair have a pull out ottoman?

14. Lucky Strike

That is nearly the chair, but not the maker. Does that chair have a pull out ottoman?
    Ruhlmann made several models of "elephant" chairs, at least once in elephant hide, but I don't think any of them had any sort of pull-out ottomans. Practicality or comfort weren't his first priorities, I think. Waaait...do the chairs you think of have two buttons on the back, to resemble elephant's eyes? I think several makers offered them.

15. dopey

No. It has nails framing the outline of the back.
    The difference between my chair and the one you posted is the "ottoman" below the cushion. On mine, the lower piece is a solid block and flush with the arms.

In any case, this post is too late. I noticed last night that the chair is gone, to be recovered in purple velvet. It was bright red leather and had worn through on the arms and the cushion was cracking - I had had it for at least ten years. I bought it from the manufacturer, which was a French company that specialized in deco. They had a showroom in one of the design buildings in NY. I had thought about getting their recommendation on recovering it in the original leather (I was not going to send it to France) but it is now too late. I did keep the papers so, somewhere, I have the name written down but I can't find it. I know they did claim it was their original design and in constant manufacture since whenever.