• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also don't know if it's required or not. I only mentioned it because the OP considered this alteration.
As a non-tailor, think that the problem is that the 40L jacket is too tight across the shoulder blades. Harder to address after the fact. Think that S&M is not the right choice for the OP unfortunately.

JTrent82

Reaction score
Ordered a bunch suits and jackets from S&M to try out different cuts, and I like this reddish herringbone sportcoat a lot, but I'm not sure if I can actually make any of the stuff I ordered work with my body.
Thoughts on which of these will be closer to being tailored to fit?

40L:
View attachment 2089521

42L
View attachment 2089525

The 40L is closer in the shoulders, but the buttons are pulling more and it seems like it would need the collar dropped more.

42L seems too big in the shoulders, but the button pulls less, and the collar wouldn't need to be lowered as much (although I think my shoulders were pulled back a bit in the rear photo so it is harder to see.

Both bow out a bit at the lapel and need some level of collar lower, but that's par for the course for me. Wish they made a 41L stock size...
I think you may have square shoulders- MTO may be your only viable option.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
FWIW, the OTR suits I do have were made to mostly work in that area by lowering the collar (which I understand is a pretty common alteration). You are right that it is my square shoulders--my shirts can easliy end up with the same problem.

Unfortunately Suitsupply no longer makes the cuts that worked for me, and nothing I have tried on recently has been even close.

capablebedroom

Reaction score
I like the fit of this polo coat in the shoulders and chest but I think the sleeves and waist need to be taken in quite a bit. Would a tailor be able to do that or am I better off returning? I do want to retain a very relaxed fit.

Attachments

• Kjsmme3.jpg
    Kjsmme3.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 280
  • side.jpeg
    side.jpeg
    116.7 KB · Views: 275

Gil_Pender

Reaction score
I like the fit of this polo coat in the shoulders and chest but I think the sleeves and waist need to be taken in quite a bit. Would a tailor be able to do that or am I better off returning? I do want to retain a very relaxed fit.
This looks a size too big. What size is it and what is your suit size? Very relaxed in a double breasted is a harder look to pull off than say in a balmacaan.

ppk

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you know a good alterations tailor, sleeves and waist are usually no big deal.

capablebedroom

Reaction score
This looks a size too big. What size is it and what is your suit size? Very relaxed in a double breasted is a harder look to pull off than say in a balmacaan.
This coat is 46; my suit/sport coat size is typically 42. 44 in the polo coat would have been better but that size is sold out. I also thought the chest and shoulders in the size 44 might be tight based on comparing the listed measurements to those of an overcoat I own. I'll probably return.

St1X

Reaction score
This coat is 46; my suit/sport coat size is typically 42. 44 in the polo coat would have been better but that size is sold out. I also thought the chest and shoulders in the size 44 might be tight based on comparing the listed measurements to those of an overcoat I own. I'll probably return.
Look at 44s instead?!

capablebedroom

Reaction score
Do you think tailoring could fix it? For examples of the looser fit I was going for:

Attachments

• GpmYO93.jpg
    GpmYO93.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 159
  • Okble99.jpg
    Okble99.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 221
  • 5zzz0a9.jpg
    5zzz0a9.jpg
    425.4 KB · Views: 241

Rhodia

Reaction score
Do you think tailoring could fix it? For examples of the looser fit I was going for:
I personally would not want a tailor doing major surgery on an overcoat. It's rare that a manufacturer makes something so slim that a two size jump is required (unless it's for the Japanese market). Point is, one issue might is how large it appears to be around the bottom portion of the coat.

I would also note that based on the length of the sleeves, this type of coat may not be ideal for your height. At least not in the length you have here. How long is it? If you're under 5'10", anything beyond your knees risks making you look even shorter and possibly like you're wearing your father's coat (so to speak).

At least two of the three gentlemen in the pictures you posted are tall, at least 6'0" it seems to me.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prxtzt