• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MrFingers

Reaction score
I just purchased it. I can post some pics when it comes in. But there were no larger slim sizes available, so not sure if it’s selling that fast or they haven’t gotten that part of the shipment in yet 🤔
Thank you for your sacrifice! And yea I agree. Maybe later. Let us know your thoughts and how that blue over check looks from afar

blewnote1

Reaction score
Not a definitive assessment, but, in giving another SM linen shirt its first wear, I feel quite confident saying their linen shirtings from S/S are demonstrably smaller than previous years.

If I'm not mistaken, I do believe there was some agitating here (maybe 2 years back or so) about linen shirtings being dramatically oversized compared to cotton?

Entirely speculative, but curious if SM recalibrated anything to account for it, or if this is a wonky one off for the season's batch.

Really hoping the latter, because these suckers are slimmer by a decent amount than the extra slim I had from however many years ago.

I picked up a short sleeve linen (contemp) and 2 long sleeves in classic cut and they fit exactly as I expected them to. Perhaps the slims were mis-cut, but mine were certainly just fine.

epsilon22

Reaction score
Does anyone know when they typically would start putting up overcoats on the website? Thinking of getting a double-breasted overcoat or polo coat.

St1X

Reaction score
Does anyone know when they typically would start putting up overcoats on the website? Thinking of getting a double-breasted overcoat or polo coat.
Oct - Dec.
They roll it out through the whole season. Last year Balmacaan was released so late into the season that I had no opportunity to wear it and winters in Sweden end in April!

SchachMundialECapital

Reaction score
Not my finest ever outfit, lots of things have changed since my last post here, nearly 4 years ago. Mostly, gained weight. Went one size up in chest and increased my waist from 28 to 32 (yikes!)

Shirt: S&M striped OCBD
Pants: Goodthreads cord from their original run.

As I was telling Rick in a recent Instagram message, being a snob precludes one from finding actual good deals on garments. I find the cords to be much higher quality than stuff that costs 5× more!

20230927_113856.jpg

tcmquincy

Reaction score
I'm thinking about grabbing the Navy Serge Blazer, curious how y'all think it would compare to say a Brooks Brothers blazer?

I am very familiar with S&M's suits and sport coats, but I have never owned a "traditional blazer" with gold/brass buttons, navy, etc. I see that S&M's has patch pockets, whereas it seems flap pockets seem to be used for these blazers by a lot of other brands.

Dorian_Gray

Reaction score
I'm thinking about grabbing the Navy Serge Blazer, curious how y'all think it would compare to say a Brooks Brothers blazer?

I am very familiar with S&M's suits and sport coats, but I have never owned a "traditional blazer" with gold/brass buttons, navy, etc. I see that S&M's has patch pockets, whereas it seems flap pockets seem to be used for these blazers by a lot of other brands.

I had an Angelico serge blazer made through MTO with the gold buttons, DB, full canvas, and jetted pockets. It’s one of the most striking pieces I own.

The gold button blazer is a truly classic look that likely flatters most. Very easy to wear. I highly encourage serge jacketing in general, particularly if you don’t already have a navy blazer. Styling details on it come down to preferences. You can always change the buttons (or even get really fancy with custom brass/gold/silver/mithril).

IMO, Spier suiting at minimum is on par with BB and better priced. I hear that Golden Fleece is still nice, but the prices are absurd. I also think that Spier’s heavy Italian inclinations help to avoid the gold button blazer looking too stuffy.

BlueSteel

Reaction score

I have this, and IMO it is nicer than any BB I have tried.

It is my first time with Angelico fabric (I have a number of S&M items but I normally stuck to their more premium fabrics, like Fox, M&E, Moon, VBC, etc.) The Angelico fabric seems...good - does not quite have the premium feel of my other items. Out of the box it was wrinkly like no other jacket I have ever purchased from S&M. Hung for 30 mins in steaming shower to take out 80% of the wrinkles. I am hoping this is not an ongoing problem with this fabric.

Still have not brought this to my tailor yet to get the sleeves adjusted, so I have no real-world experience with wearing it yet. I did try it on for my GF, who exclaimed that it is "cuuuuuute"...so that is something.

The buttons look nice but they feel light/hollow compared to more vintage metal buttons I have.

Personally, I think the lower patch pockets work well for a garment like this...allows you to dress it down easier (but also will look good with dressier trousers). I like that the chest pocket is barchetta - better for pocket square. My DB navy hopsack sportcoat from S&M also has a patch chest pocket, which looks a bit off stuffed with a square.

Overall, I am happy so far, but will learn more once it is tailored and I wear it out a few times!

Last edited:

SchachMundialECapital

Reaction score
As September is winding down, so is my ability to pull off daring looks based on linen. Still, before saying goodbye to this jacket until next April/May, some justice. This was a 2019 drop if we judge by the care label, in the (then-just-updated) Neo cut. It pulls a bit at the midsection when buttoned, but otherwise one of my fav S&M releases, ever!

20230928_004115.jpg

suda422

Reaction score
I tried a 40L suit recently and I like the suit but I'm not sure about the fit. Length seems right (jacket sleeves need to be hemmed) but I've gained a few pounds recently and it looks like it's pulling, though it feels comfortable. Shoulders seem pretty on point too so upping to 42 might be too big. Thoughts one way or another? Thanks in advance.
suit_unbuttoned.jpeg
suit_side.jpeg
suit_buttoned.jpeg
suit_back.jpeg

tcmquincy

Reaction score
I have this, and IMO it is nicer than any BB I have tried.

It is my first time with Angelico fabric (I have a number of S&M items but I normally stuck to their more premium fabrics, like Fox, M&E, Moon, VBC, etc.) The Angelico fabric seems...good - does not quite have the premium feel of my other items. Out of the box it was wrinkly like no other jacket I have ever purchased from S&M. Hung for 30 mins in steaming shower to take out 80% of the wrinkles. I am hoping this is not an ongoing problem with this fabric.

Still have not brought this to my tailor yet to get the sleeves adjusted, so I have no real-world experience with wearing it yet. I did try it on for my GF, who exclaimed that it is "cuuuuuute"...so that is something.

The buttons look nice but they feel light/hollow compared to more vintage metal buttons I have.

Personally, I think the lower patch pockets work well for a garment like this...allows you to dress it down easier (but also will look good with dressier trousers). I like that the chest pocket is barchetta - better for pocket square. My DB navy hopsack sportcoat from S&M also has a patch chest pocket, which looks a bit off stuffed with a square.

Overall, I am happy so far, but will learn more once it is tailored and I wear it out a few times!
Thanks for the information!

Do you have the exact same one that they are currently selling? Could you please let me know if the buttons on the cuff are also gold/brass?

Also, in the pictures it looks slightly darker/more black than a lot of navy blazers I am used to seeing. How does it look in person? I have bought a handful of jackets from S&M before that looked just slightly different than in the online pictures (not in a bad way at all, just a “lighting” kind of thing)

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinniemcarthy