• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TimothyF

Reaction score
I'm completely baffled why BB would turn to Aldo to make some shoes for them. Any shoes. Perhaps I'm totally out of touch, but I tend to think people who shop at BB don't wear Aldo level shoes.

Many years ago, Allen Edmonds, Alden, and some finer English brands made footwear for BB.

I guess things have really changed.

Because 95% of the people who walk in have no clue about shoes or other clothing. The romantic notion of the WASP taught by his father and introduced to his father's Brooks Brothers salesman is probably 50 years in the rear view mirror.

Last time I was in a store (1-2 years ago) it was empty of customers for 3 floors of merchandise. The salesman followed me around until I threw him a bone with a small purchase

partenopean

Reaction score
Mental_defectives_in_Virginia-_%281915%29_%2814587462548%29.jpg

A poster from a Boston Brooks Brothers store, mid-20th century. Such artwork was randomly perused by patrons, while waiting for their garments to be altered, etc. So they could feel superior whilst purchasing Brooks Brothers.

Jamesbond1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why would he have to love what he sells in order to work there? It's like saying that the prerequisite to being a mechanic is to love mufflers.

Why would he have to love what he sells in order to work there? It's like saying that the prerequisite to being a mechanic is to love mufflers.
Don’t have to love the brand. No need to be loyal as well. But soliciting to competition is unethical.

Still waiting for hr sales link.

Jamesbond1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A job to most people is just something they do to get a paycheque.

He didn't attach a picture of his driver's license or passport to his post. Are you really that naive?

He didn't even say anything shocking and/or revealing.
We don’t type personal offenses on public forum it is what I think. I’m not naive but I do know you are a man of class.

🥂

othertravel

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Don’t have to love the brand. No need to be loyal as well. But soliciting to competition is unethical.

What he's doing is actually quite ethical - he's telling consumers that a better product for the same price can be found elsewhere. That type of customer service won't pad his commission, but it is honest.

TimothyF

Reaction score

Also not ethical for the owners and C-suite to suck the value out of a company, leaving employees without employment and possibly owed back pay, pensions, severance etc.

TimothyF

Reaction score
First time dealing with possibility of forwarding service from US to Canada, so some questions:
  1. Seems Cross Border Pickup and Shippsy are popular choices here. Are they still the go-to? Feel free to suggest alternatives, or which of the two is more preferred
  2. What is the process these services use to figure out the value of the shipment (for customs declaration)?
    • Do they first check for any receipts inside the package, or do they ask the customer to provide it online (and use the paper receipts as verification)?
    • Assuming I get the seller to ship as gift, so no invoice with price, would they just take the customer's word as to value, or they would ask for screenshot, e.g. of order or credit card statement?
  3. Any nightmare situations to report? e.g. lost packages, damages, hidden fees etc.
Thank you very much!

Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can get flints and butane for Dunhill Rollagas lighters? I just received my vintage piece today, but it was not able to be shipped with flint. I will call the cigar shop in Yorkville, but I am not sure if I can get any elsewhere in the GTA, preferably in the downtown area.

chiggyv

Reaction score
I tend to use Shippsy as I like having a flat rate fee for all package sizes (I don't have control over how the shipper packages so why take the risk)

Shippsy requires you to upload a purchase invoice. Last I used CBP it was self- declaration...

goatamous II

Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can get flints and butane for Dunhill Rollagas lighters? I just received my vintage piece today, but it was not able to be shipped with flint. I will call the cigar shop in Yorkville, but I am not sure if I can get any elsewhere in the GTA, preferably in the downtown area.
I think a cigar shop is your best bet - quick google shows online cigar shops or ebay

Elegant Lighters seems to be recommended a lot, but I can't tell if they ship to Canada

TimothyF

Reaction score
I tend to use Shippsy as I like having a flat rate fee for all package sizes (I don't have control over how the shipper packages so why take the risk)

Shippsy requires you to upload a purchase invoice. Last I used CBP it was self- declaration...

Both Shippsy and CBP give you NY state addresses, therefore you potentially pay both the NY state and Canadian sales taxes

After a bit of research and thinking it through, I concluded forwarding/proxy of packages is too risky/not worthwhile except for low-value items, for reasons like these:
  1. Assumption of seller's delivery risk: most platforms such as Amazon, eBay, and PayPal guarantee delivery of the item you paid for in the condition listed, but inserting the proxy short circuits everything, potentially leaving you holding the bag if anything goes wrong
  2. Dilemma of value declaration: (corollary of the above) assuming you have the freedom to choose the declared value, do you write the full value, and make it a certainty you'll be hit with onerous duties + taxes + brokerage fees? Or under-declare and lose out on insurance coverage should anything go sideways? (without proxy, this dilemma could possibly be transferred to the seller, who if desperate enough may agree to under-declare on the customs form)
  3. Lack of recourse in case the forwarding company f#*! up: I'm not aware of any service offering buyer protection or insurance comparable to online stores + consumer protection laws, so you are essentially rolling the dice with each purchase

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skeem1