• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JTrent82

Reaction score
^^^ This Is Why I Like To Measure and Press A Crease In, Pin Them Up, Take To Tailor and I Never Have Those 2 & 3 Adjustment Fits,
31.5, She Hits It Everytime And It Saves Your Tailor Time!

That's Just Me, These Mistakes Can Be Time Consuming And Frustrating! :cool:
I took this advice the first time I heard you mention it and I've had perfect hems ever since.

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Loving the new wool-cashmere G-1 jacket. Wearing it with the S&M cream, ribbed "RAF style" rollneck. With flash sales, the two combined set me back 365 Samolians...yeah, we happy Jules.

HEYut71.jpg

TheLawBeard

Reaction score
Sale on some MTO fabrics. Unfortunately nothing I’ve had my eye on. There’s one or two fabrics that need to hit sale so I can have an excuse to order again.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Same here. Do they do this sale in mto often?
Usually on in stock fabrics. Probably they want to make space for new fabrics so they're putting some on sale. The only other time I cns remember that they offered a MTO sale was on fabrics from specific mills. In thwr case the mills offered vendors/sellers x % off on their fabrics and SM decided to forward it to customers by giving us 20 % off.

taher

Reaction score
Hello,
I’m interested in the linen, cotton/linen blend shirts and seersucker popovers that are on sale.
But I’ve read that linen shirts are looser by default and I’ve never bought shirts form S & M before
My measurements are as follows
Chest 41
Waist 36 at narrowest part
Shoulder 17
Neck 15-15.25 with a finger space between the tape and neck.
Height 5 foot 7 inches (170 cm)
Weight 172 pounds (78 kg)

I chose 16 slim based on the size chart, is it the right size or should I go smaller?
I like a slim fit and hate muffin tops, but I don’t want it to be too tight.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I’m interested in the linen, cotton/linen blend shirts and seersucker popovers that are on sale.
But I’ve read that linen shirts are looser by default and I’ve never bought shirts form S & M before
My measurements are as follows
Chest 41
Waist 36 at narrowest part
Shoulder 17
Neck 15-15.25 with a finger space between the tape and neck.
Height 5 foot 7 inches (170 cm)
Weight 172 pounds (78 kg)

I chose 16 slim based on the size chart, is it the right size or should I go smaller?
I like a slim fit and hate muffin tops, but I don’t want it to be too tight.
Thanks in advance.

I'm around your size. I wear 15.5 contemporary in their shirts including linen shirts. I don't have a popover though, but yes it's looser. I threw mine in the dryer and it fits well now. Although proceed with caution. You can try to wash it a few times to see if it shrinks and then if not put it in the dryer for a few mins

taher

Reaction score
I'm around your size. I wear 15.5 contemporary in their shirts including linen shirts. I don't have a popover though, but yes it's looser. I threw mine in the dryer and it fits well now. Although proceed with caution. You can try to wash it a few times to see if it shrinks and then if not put it in the dryer for a few mins
Thank you for the reply.
According to the size chart the difference between 15.5 contemporary and 16 slim fit is half an inch smaller for the 15.5 so I guess it doesn’t make much difference between those 2 sizes.
So you don’t recommend taking a smaller size for the linen shirts?
Like 15.5 slim fit instead of 16 slim fit or would that be too tight?

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the reply.
According to the size chart the difference between 15.5 contemporary and 16 slim fit is half an inch smaller for the 15.5 so I guess it doesn’t make much difference between those 2 sizes.
Linen is meant to be looser by default bc if it was tight it wouldn’t allow the air to flow. It’s a casual fabric by default, wear it a tad loose and rock it

taargus_taargus

Reaction score
My OCD is kicking in. Just got my high rise chinos back from the tailor. I told him to make the inseam 29.5 inches. He made them 30 inches. I've washed them once before I took them to get hemmed.

Should I take them back or wash them again because they may shrink? They have a slight break which I don't like. I like my pants to have no break
I hate this. I have had to buy 1-2 extra pairs of pants just so I can hope to get 1 back that actually meets my measurement. My tailor(s) refuse or get very annoyed/surprised when I ask them to alter ~1/4" (not less than this), but for my small frame THOSE DIFFERENCES MATTER. I recently had a pair of the 2023 chinos in khaki color altered and they are basically unwearable for this reason. The taper was so off in the thighs down to the hem opening that they make me look 20+ older than I am (somewhat funny, somewhat frustrating). I know that they will most likely refuse to alter and I've stopped asking. They don't believe that anything less than .5" will make a difference, and they look at me like I don't know what I'm talking about. I will even bring them a pair of well fitting pants for exact reference. Maybe I'm being presumptuous, but how hard is it to match a pair of pants and not be off by .5"?

And before anyone says anything, this is the best I can do in my area. Again, maybe I'm being a bit eccentric for wanting this.

This has been very cathardic.

/rant

rob g

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply.
My 2 cents, I think 15.5 slim would probably be too tight for you in the waist based on your measurements. If you go 15.5 neck, get the contemporary fit.

My waist at the navel measures 34 and I wear 16 extra slim. According to their size chart, sport shirt 16 extra slim is 38.5 waist, so I've got 4.5 inches leeway and it fits me perfectly, no muffin top but also not overly tight. If you went 15.5 slim, their chart says 38.5 so you'd only have 2.5 inches leeway with your measured waist of 36, which isn't much breathing room.

Another consideration, if you go 16 slim, the neck will be loose. Probably not a big deal with a popover, but if you ever wanted to wear the other shirts buttoned all the way with a tie would look off.

taargus_taargus

Reaction score
Loving the new wool-cashmere G-1 jacket. Wearing it with the S&M cream, ribbed "RAF style" rollneck. With flash sales, the two combined set me back 365 Samolians...yeah, we happy Jules.

View attachment 1892835
I absolutely love my cream english rib turtle neck. Ordered one size up and it fits perfectly - nice and chunky. I just wish I wouldn't feel like my neck is slowly being strangled when wearing one!

TimothyF

Reaction score
I hate this. I have had to buy 1-2 extra pairs of pants just so I can hope to get 1 back that actually meets my measurement. My tailor(s) refuse or get very annoyed/surprised when I ask them to alter ~1/4" (not less than this), but for my small frame THOSE DIFFERENCES MATTER. I recently had a pair of the 2023 chinos in khaki color altered and they are basically unwearable for this reason. The taper was so off in the thighs down to the hem opening that they make me look 20+ older than I am (somewhat funny, somewhat frustrating). I know that they will most likely refuse to alter and I've stopped asking. They don't believe that anything less than .5" will make a difference, and they look at me like I don't know what I'm talking about. I will even bring them a pair of well fitting pants for exact reference. Maybe I'm being presumptuous, but how hard is it to match a pair of pants and not be off by .5"?

And before anyone says anything, this is the best I can do in my area. Again, maybe I'm being a bit eccentric for wanting this.

This has been very cathardic.

/rant

Sometimes if we want things done to a high standard, we have to do it ourselves. I have done just about every trouser alteration by hand. The only thing you’re investing is your time. For me thank god for WFH and long boring meetings.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads