• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

iviustang50h

Reaction score
I received my navy Neapolitan suit, and while it seems very nice they unfortunately sent me the wrong size jacket. I am hoping to have a replacement sent ASAP, and then I will post picks of the fit. The gorge appears to be higher than other S&M jackets, but I don't see that being a problem. I love the beautiful brown horn buttons too!

iviustang50h

Reaction score
Here's a quick snap to perhaps better depict the color/texture of the charcoal houndstooth IRL:

Initially, I thought the color was too dark (darker than I hoped, anyway), but now I'm pretty happy with it. It's the perfect dark-but-not-too-dark shade of gray/charcoal. Dark enough to be conservative, but light enough to not look black no matter the lighting. And plenty of texture and visual interest up close.

I'm almost wanting one of the new peak lapel suits now too. Dangit, so much for limiting my spending on clothing which I don't really need...
That looks really nice man! It kind of makes me wish I had ordered navy and charcoal.

CanadaCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I too need to drop a pound or ten haha, I just got back from vacation and added about 5 pounds.

Couple questions for ya:
Is yours tight through the chest/back the way mine are? And is the fix for the wrinkle at your neck just letting out fabric?

I got the Neapolitan in sharkskin blue and the peak lapel in charcoal, and they both look excellent! Definitely great choices if you decide to get a few more.

Dirk

Dirk, let out the centre seam across the back where there is a ripple. The tailor should know how much.

I would also let out the side seams to minimize the wrinkling down the flanks, you can always bring it back in if you lose weight. I have let out a stock S&M jacket more than an inch overall seams, pretty easily.

If in general you feel there is too much restriction in the jacket, and a bit here or there won't be enough, then return it. Because once you let it out it can't go back.

It isn't that bad, you just need a bit more room for your build. Only you know how much and how comfortable it will be in the end.

The Dirk

Reaction score
Dirk, let out the centre seam across the back where there is a ripple. The tailor should know how much.

I would also let out the side seams to minimize the wrinkling down the flanks, you can always bring it back in if you lose weight. I have let out a stock S&M jacket more than an inch overall seams, pretty easily.

If in general you feel there is too much restriction in the jacket, and a bit here or there won't be enough, then return it. Because once you let it out it can't go back.

It isn't that bad, you just need a bit more room for your build. Only you know how much and how comfortable it will be in the end.
The jacket almost fits, it's just a bit tight across the upper back, and bunches at the neck when I stand straight. I'm going to have one let out an inch or so across the seams, and I think that'll clear things up. If it doesn't work out, then I'll return the other suit, and just suck up the loses on the other.

Also, thanks for the more detailed help and thoughts, it's appreciated.

Dirk

iviustang50h

Reaction score
Definitely size up.

Anyways, the Neapolitan suit looks amazing. Hopefully Rick has some Neapolitan jackets with patch pockets, or I guess I will have to go for a custom order (difficult to do remotely, though).
I personally think the shoulders look off. The Neapolitan has no padding, so they should appear natural and not pucker at the corners and along the edge. Letting the seam out in the back will give a better fit in that area, but will it fix the shoulders? If not, I'd personally return the suits, but YMMV.

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
The jacket almost fits, it's just a bit tight across the upper back, and bunches at the neck when I stand straight. I'm going to have one let out an inch or so across the seams, and I think that'll clear things up. If it doesn't work out, then I'll return the other suit, and just suck up the loses on the other.

Also, thanks for the more detailed help and thoughts, it's appreciated.

Dirk

It appears you may need to go up one size. Sorry for my slow response I'm in China at the moment busy running from City to city.

exfalso

Reaction score
I personally think the shoulders look off. The Neapolitan has no padding, so they should appear natural and not pucker at the corners and along the edge. Letting the seam out in the back will give a better fit in that area, but will it fix the shoulders? If not, I'd personally return the suits, but YMMV.

I was talking about the styling of the jacket, not the fit. Speaking of the fit, I'd say the only solution is to size up.

KWang94

Reaction score
My MTM suit with the lovely Milanese lapel hole.

IMG_20170609_185718809_BURST000_COVER_TOP-01_mr1497059252745-01.jpeg

sobecane

Reaction score
Would love to take advantage of the Pant sale but there is hardly anything available in Size 30 Slim Fit. Is new stock coming?

losrockets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anybody else not yet received their neopolitan suit who ordered early in the pre order?

And: resolved.

Last edited:

KWang94

Reaction score
Is that Milanese an upgrade to the Spier & Mackay MTM program? How much? It looks fantastic!

Thanks, mate!

It's odd because I had been talking to Rick and a few of the guys at SM about a Milanese buttonhole option but nothing concrete came of it. Was very pleasantly surprised the day I picked up the suit to see the buttonhole. It doesn't seem like I was charged anything,

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads