• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

flvinny521

Reaction score
@spiermackay Are you around, Rick? I haven't heard from you after my last couple of e-mails.

Wilson13

Reaction score
Just received my test shirt of a four-shirt MTM order. For a first try, it's pretty close. Would like some feedback on a couple issues, though:

1. It's a little tight in the upper chest/ shoulders. I actually think it's solely due to the shoulders being too small. Was thinking to add about 3/8" or 1/2" to total shoulders width.

2. I would like the collar to be a little more open and to tuck under the jacket lapel (see how it is sitting a little on top of the lapel?). The collar points measure 3.75", so I don't think their length is the issue, but maybe the buttons could be moved out slightly.

Any feedback on the above is appreciated.

Spex

Reaction score
^^ I see, like myself, you've gone for a fairly long shirt, for ones that you would tuck in. Kudos.

It does look very slim over all, not just in the shoulders and chest, but althroughout the body. You may want to wash it a couple of times and see how that further affects the fit.

With respect to the collar, logically the buttons would have to lie beneath the lapels in order to hide the points, so I think you are right about that. I think they changed the button down collar this past year and I'm not sure what I think of it. I've only ordered 2 custom BDC shirts, about a year apart, an I think I like the older one better (both are 3.25" long). It's almost like the collar band has become higher.

Last edited:

Wilson13

Reaction score

^^ I see, like myself, you've gone for a fairly long shirt, for ones that you would tuck in. Kudos.

It does look very slim over all, not just in the shoulders and chest, but althroughout the body. You may want to wash it a couple of times and see how that further affects the fit.

With respect to the collar, logically the buttons would have to lie beneath the lapels in order to hide the points, so I think you are right about that. I think they changed the button down collar this past year and I'm not sure what I think of it. I've only ordered 2 custom BDC shirts, about a year apart, an I think I like the older one better (both are 3.25" long). It's almost like the collar band has become higher.

Thanks for the feedback. With respect to the collar, I provided measurements and a picture, so please don't take this collar to reflect their standard BD (though, this is not exactly what I was wanting - will have to make some adjustments). Also, I didn't articulate it well, but I was really meaning to say I wanted the sides of the collar to sit better underneath the lapel, not the collar points.

As far as fit, I did ask for the cloth to be washed and dried before cutting, but either way, good idea to wash the shirt before confirming the rest of the order.

White Lotus

Reaction score
That's what you need.

Which would be fine.
I got a 38S Contemporary instead. The length is 28.1 inches. The 38R Contemporary length is 29.5 which would be longer than I would like. I measured my length and its suppose to be 29.3 which is exactly the length of the 38R Slim Fit Suit. My legs are about the same length as my torso but my calves are big. Wouldn't a longer jacket make me look shorter because of that?

dappercanadian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got a 38S Contemporary instead. The length is 28.1 inches. The 38R Contemporary length is 29.5 which would be longer than I would like. I measured my length and its suppose to be 29.3 which is exactly the length of the 38R Slim Fit Suit. My legs are about the same length as my torso but my calves are big. Wouldn't a longer jacket make me look shorter because of that?
the. length. on. the. 38R. slim. was. perfect.

.2" longer would not be a noticeable difference in length. 1.2" shorter would be.

Last edited:

White Lotus

Reaction score
the. length. on. the. 38R. slim. was. perfect.

.2" longer would not be a noticeable difference in length. 1.2" shorter would be.
I feel like its too long for me or is it something I've to get used to since I might become a fashion victim due to preference for shorter jackets?

dtgsigns

Reaction score

No, the length looks spot on. Way too many jackets these days are too short. Shorten the sleeves and let the chest out just so slightly, and then you'll be good to go.

I don't think chests can be let out. Back yes, but never heard of a tailor being able to let out extra fabric in chest area.

S&M, your input?

Last edited:

Mr Clemson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, the length looks spot on. Way too many jackets these days are too short. Shorten the sleeves and let the chest out just so slightly, and then you'll be good to go.

I don't think chests can be let out. Back yes, but never heard of a tailor being able to let out extra fabric in chest area.

S&M, your input?

You make the chest bigger by letting out fabric from the back. At least that's my understanding.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carwyn