• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1st Step

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking At The Field Jackets Sleeve Length, I Don't Find This Helpful!

S$M Website;

SLEEVE
Starting at the centre back, just below the collar. Measure across the top of the shoulder then straight down the arm to where you want the sleeve to end. Make sure your arm hangs naturally and relaxed.

Is This Correct?

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking At The Field Jackets Sleeve Length, I Don't Find This Helpful!

S$M Website;

SLEEVE
Starting at the centre back, just below the collar. Measure across the top of the shoulder then straight down the arm to where you want the sleeve to end. Make sure your arm hangs naturally and relaxed.

Is This Correct?
Sleeve on these size charts is from the shoulder seam, not from center back

James McGuinness

Reaction score

VeritasAequitas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

So, I’ve just received my 4th S&M suit + 1 sport coat. They’re all the same size but I’ve noticed the fit differently. EG the S&M core suit fits wonderfully while the Filarte is really snug.

Is this a common thing?

norMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

So, I’ve just received my 4th S&M suit + 1 sport coat. They’re all the same size but I’ve noticed the fit differently. EG the S&M core suit fits wonderfully while the Filarte is really snug.

Is this a common thing?

I guess that is what they call manufacturing margins.

nnnnick

Reaction score
Was going to say the same thing, it looks absolutely amazing.

Does have me tempted again for MTO, but I wouldn't know where to start if I wanted a fit like that.

Curious to know if you had any particular guidelines @nnnnick

Sorry @wilcthree. Couldn't find how to quote your post

Thanks to everybody for the kind words. English is not my native language so sorry for mistakes in the text. Where are no special tricks with my MTO. I'm 43, 5'9" tall and my weight is 160 lbs. I started buying from S&M around three years ago. I bought sport coats, suit and trousers. The suit and sport coats were NEO cut and size 38R contemporary/32 contemporary high rise trousers. All fitted quit good but not perfect off the rack (sleeve shortening, expanding the waist and altering the back sit curve were necessary). At one point my colleague asked me where I bought my suit and forwarded him to S&M. He was 40R contemporary and I was able to compare the fit of 40 (as I live in Moscow/Russia ordering multiple sizes for myself to compare the fit was not an option due to customs and back shipping fees too high). After that I realized that my perfect size would be 39R contemporary. I tried my first MTO for my birthday as a present from my wife. It was a sport coat in Abraham Moon tweed in size 39R contemporary. I used the basic measurements only changing shoulder (reducing to as in size 38 as I have narrowish shoulders) and changed the sleeve length to the slightly longer than I prefer length as I was not sure if sewing tolerances could make them shorter than I want. It turns out great. The only problem is that I have square shoulders and almost always have a small hump of fabric under the collar on the back. Back when where was no parameter to adjust shoulder slope in MTO. In case with S&M I needed only a little iron work from my tailor under the collar to fix the problem. At the moment I had been wanting the double breasted gray flannel suit for 5 years but couldn't find it RTW. So I prepared with choosing the fabric and desired details and waited for Canada Day. This year it was free upgrade for full canvas construction. I used the same measurements as for my tweed MTO sport coat. I also put in the notes to make buttonholes on both lapels, no shirring on the sleeve head and don’t cut the holes in surgeon cuffs. For high rise trousers I asked for deeper pleats and also expand the hip measurement by 1 inch and the hem by 1 inch also. I put my order on the 1-st of July and received it in September. The only problem was that S&M made the sleeves without the cuffs at all (no vent). After some conversation with the MTO department I suggested to save the time and money by S&M remaking the sleeves only so I can replace the wrong ones here at my tailor. They remade the sleeves but this time the factory made exactly the same wrong sleeves. So the waiting continued. After that they managed to do that correctly but didn’t make any buttonhole stitching. I decided not to gamble and asked the MTO department to ship new sleeves as is. I finally received the correct sleeves on 1-st of December and took the suit to my tailor (I made the cuffs and altered the back sit curve on the trousers myself so no alterations were needed for these). My tailor detached the wrong sleeves, attached the correct ones and made buttonhole stitching. All this costed around 140 USD. I forwarded the invoice to the MTO department and they agreed to refund half of that on my store credit. What else can I say. My body shape is not ideal but around average. The problems are slightly barreled chest, narowish square forward shoulders and shorter arms. The sleeve pitch was good from the beginning on RTW. For the clean fit also helps a quite substantial fabric weight. It will be very suitable next week as we expecting -13 Fahrenheit here.

exfalso

Reaction score

Thanks to everybody for the kind words. English is not my native language so sorry for mistakes in the text. Where are no special tricks with my MTO. I'm 43, 5'9" tall and my weight is 160 lbs. I started buying from S&M around three years ago. I bought sport coats, suit and trousers. The suit and sport coats were NEO cut and size 38R contemporary/32 contemporary high rise trousers. All fitted quit good but not perfect off the rack (sleeve shortening, expanding the waist and altering the back sit curve were necessary). At one point my colleague asked me where I bought my suit and forwarded him to S&M. He was 40R contemporary and I was able to compare the fit of 40 (as I live in Moscow/Russia ordering multiple sizes for myself to compare the fit was not an option due to customs and back shipping fees too high). After that I realized that my perfect size would be 39R contemporary. I tried my first MTO for my birthday as a present from my wife. It was a sport coat in Abraham Moon tweed in size 39R contemporary. I used the basic measurements only changing shoulder (reducing to as in size 38 as I have narrowish shoulders) and changed the sleeve length to the slightly longer than I prefer length as I was not sure if sewing tolerances could make them shorter than I want. It turns out great. The only problem is that I have square shoulders and almost always have a small hump of fabric under the collar on the back. Back when where was no parameter to adjust shoulder slope in MTO. In case with S&M I needed only a little iron work from my tailor under the collar to fix the problem. At the moment I had been wanting the double breasted gray flannel suit for 5 years but couldn't find it RTW. So I prepared with choosing the fabric and desired details and waited for Canada Day. This year it was free upgrade for full canvas construction. I used the same measurements as for my tweed MTO sport coat. I also put in the notes to make buttonholes on both lapels, no shirring on the sleeve head and don’t cut the holes in surgeon cuffs. For high rise trousers I asked for deeper pleats and also expand the hip measurement by 1 inch and the hem by 1 inch also. I put my order on the 1-st of July and received it in September. The only problem was that S&M made the sleeves without the cuffs at all (no vent). After some conversation with the MTO department I suggested to save the time and money by S&M remaking the sleeves only so I can replace the wrong ones here at my tailor. They remade the sleeves but this time the factory made exactly the same wrong sleeves. So the waiting continued. After that they managed to do that correctly but didn’t make any buttonhole stitching. I decided not to gamble and asked the MTO department to ship new sleeves as is. I finally received the correct sleeves on 1-st of December and took the suit to my tailor (I made the cuffs and altered the back sit curve on the trousers myself so no alterations were needed for these). My tailor detached the wrong sleeves, attached the correct ones and made buttonhole stitching. All this costed around 140 USD. I forwarded the invoice to the MTO department and they agreed to refund half of that on my store credit. What else can I say. My body shape is not ideal but around average. The problems are slightly barreled chest, narowish square forward shoulders and shorter arms. The sleeve pitch was good from the beginning on RTW. For the clean fit also helps a quite substantial fabric weight. It will be very suitable next week as we expecting -13 Fahrenheit here.

What a nightmare.

exfalso

Reaction score
Yes for some people. I was not in the rush and everything was manageable and I'm happy with the end result. But you have to have some bravery from the beginning to play this game ?

Trust me, I know. This is what I received after four in-store MTM orders.

exfalso

Reaction score
Hi all!

Is this a common thing?
I guess that is what they call manufacturing margins.

It seems to happen frequently enough, based on this thread.

I always wondered what the actual factory tolerances were, as the answer seemed to change every time I ask. For shirts I think it is 1-2%, and I have been told it is something like 1.5 cm for suits. I always assumed this meant 1.5 cm in total (i.e. circumference).

It turns out that it is actually up to 1.5 cm in half measurements. So if the waist on a jacket is supposed to be 30", the actual garment waist could be as small as 28.8".

MacGuffen

Reaction score
Finally received my Black Friday order. I've been missing some real life pictures in this thread of the grey polo coat, so here are some for you guys. I'm glad I sized up!

IMG_1598.jpg

IMG_1595.jpg

IMG_1597.jpg

IMG_1594.jpg

SteveMc

Reaction score

Thanks for the detailed experience @nnnnick. Excellent fit on the suit!
I'm pretty sure I'm 39" as well and was thinking going directly to MTO (never ordered a sport coat from S&M), but after reading through your experience, it becomes evident one needs to get a decent fit in OTR first, understand what needs tweaking, and only then go to MTO.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ffwe