• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • The 2024 Styleforum and Epaulet Alpaca Project

For the third year in a row, we're thrilled to partner with @Epaulet to bring you an exclusive collection of luxurious sweaters, hats, jackets, and blankets in Peruvian Alpaca.

Details can be found here

The Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My DOAK Belgravia had their second recraft. The back lining had started to go too so I asked them to patch that up as well. Good results as always. £540 for the resole and for stitching new back lining in, basically equivalent to a new pair of C&J. :D

They stripped the shoes of old polish which was useful.
View attachment 2192279
View attachment 2192281
View attachment 2192283

And after some TLC, here they are back in the wild!
View attachment 2192285

My loafer rotation is now a bit more extensive so hopefully these will last longer until the next recraft.
That ain't cheap bro. Was it extra due to the patch work?

te0o

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Apologies guys, a typo, it was £450. Still expensive.

Very nice looking work, but hefty repair bill! I'm thinking a very skilled cobbler in my area might do that work for 1/3 to 1/2 of that price.

Of course none of those fellows are named Edward Green (not that your workman was either)...lol.
Typo above, it was £450. Apart from the resoling and the new heels, they also replace the welt and the sock.

How long have you owned them?
3 years. Heavy wear.

That ain't cheap bro. Was it extra due to the patch work?
Agree, even at £450, it's steep. The patch work was an extra £80-90 I believe. Either way, not ideal when you need to resole 1-2 pairs every year. Perhaps an argument to just buy more shoes.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Typo above, it was £450. Apart from the resoling and the new heels, they also replace the welt and the sock.

3 years. Heavy wear.

Agree, even at £450, it's steep. The patch work was an extra £80-90 I believe. Either way, not ideal when you need to resole 1-2 pairs every year. Perhaps an argument to just buy more shoes.
Seems to have worn down pretty quick, to need 2 resoles in 3 yrs. You must put some serious miles on your pairs.

TimothyF

Reaction score

3 years. Heavy wear.

Do you have pictures of the soles before you sent them in for recrafting? I'm curious as I've yet to wear down the leather sole of any of my shoes, and I don't own very many. Nor do I really baby them

Also FYI replacing the welt, when it is not damaged, is not ideal. Defeats the welting's purpose actually

te0o

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seems to have worn down pretty quick, to need 2 resoles in 3 yrs. You must put some serious miles on your pairs.
True. These were my second pair of EGs (got 10 now) so they had a lot of wear initially. Took a little over a year for the first resole. Then another couple years for the second. But I wear my EGs all week long, including weekends, so they see a lot of abuse.

Do you have pictures of the soles before you sent them in for recrafting? I'm curious as I've yet to wear down the leather sole of any of my shoes, and I don't own very many. Nor do I really baby them

Also FYI replacing the welt, when it is not damaged, is not ideal. Defeats the welting's purpose actually
No pictures but there was a hole in there. Can't miss it.

I'd usually agree on the welt, but I don't think it matters in a factory setting. The welt gets replaced but so do the gemming, shank and cork filling. I prefer it because I walk a lot in them and the welt gets really beaten up and deformed, especially around the toes.

ForwardPleats

Reaction score
My DOAK Belgravia had their second recraft. The back lining had started to go too so I asked them to patch that up as well. Good results as always. £440 for the resole and for stitching new back lining in, basically equivalent to a new pair of C&J. :D

They stripped the shoes of old polish which was useful.
View attachment 2192279
View attachment 2192281
View attachment 2192283

And after some TLC, here they are back in the wild!
View attachment 2192285

My loafer rotation is now a bit more extensive so hopefully these will last longer until the next recraft.
Too bad that the recraft bill was so steep. Nevertheless, the shoes look gorgeous and have developed a really nice patina over time and the leather looks really supple and well-broken in. These are definitely shoes that get better with age.

TimothyF

Reaction score
I'd usually agree on the welt, but I don't think it matters in a factory setting. The welt gets replaced but so do the gemming, shank and cork filling. I prefer it because I walk a lot in them and the welt gets really beaten up and deformed, especially around the toes.

Each time a new welt is sewn on, new holes are made on the upper leather. Do this too many times and the upper is more-or-less trashed. The point of the welt is for it to take the abuse of re-sewing and new holes, not the precious upper leather

te0o

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Each time a new welt is sewn on, new holes are made on the upper leather. Do this too many times and the upper is more-or-less trashed. The point of the welt is for it to take the abuse of re-sewing and new holes, not the precious upper leather
It's a good point although I think this would have a bigger impact over more resoles than just 2.

I will ask the guys in the shop how the factory deals with this, I've seen some really old shoes lying around there waiting to be repaired - presumably resoled many times without any issues.

TimothyF

Reaction score
It's a good point although I think this would have a bigger impact over more resoles than just 2.

I will ask the guys in the shop how the factory deals with this, I've seen some really old shoes lying around there waiting to be repaired - presumably resoled many times without any issues.

Maybe they reinforce the perforated regions with tape, similar to gemming?

Separate topic: I have a pet theory that the rate of wear on the soles is directly proportional to the wearer's weight, and the mileage of course. I don't have any data, other than my own, so am curious if the folks here would indulge with their information

ForwardPleats

Reaction score
Maybe they reinforce the perforated regions with tape, similar to gemming?

Separate topic: I have a pet theory that the rate of wear on the soles is directly proportional to the wearer's weight, and the mileage of course. I don't have any data, other than my own, so am curious if the folks here would indulge with their information
I think there are a ton of factors that can affect wear. Te0o is in London, UK so I assume he likely puts more mileage on his shoes than those of US in North America or in less urban areas where we drive everywhere and our shoes only see a short daily walk outside from the parking lot to the office and vice versa at the end of the day. The rest of their use being spent on carpeted office floors.

Similarly, climate and road conditions can affect wear as well. I would assume spending a lot of time on damp London streets, sidewalks etc will increase over those of is in drier or warmer climates.

Last, there is also the effect that a person's gait can have on wear. Depending on how people walk it can causes shoes to wear faster or slower. If someone's shoes are wearing quickly, it is a good first step to take them to a cobbler to see if there is any suspicious wear. Sometimes toe or heel taps, insoles, etc. can make a bigger difference in accommodating for gait or other issues.

te0o

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@te0o, did EG install the integrated taps on the recraft?
Yes.

And that is included in the cost, I should have mentioned, my apologies. I do it as standard on my shoes so it didn't ring a bell when I was writing the post.

It’s very clean work, better than any cobbler in London.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes.

And that is included in the cost, I should have mentioned, my apologies. I do it as standard on my shoes so it didn't ring a bell when I was writing the post.

It’s very clean work, better than any cobbler in London.

I thought so as I kind of recall a previous recall you had done. I just think that got lost in the discussion on cost of the recraft. I’m not saying it’s cheap, but IMO the value is there. Especially when you include the aftermarket cost of the taps.

KarlHungus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rosewood CC Galways about to ride the metro
IMG20240530072953.jpg

Edit: another pic in natural lighting
IMG20240530120555~2.jpg

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Do you coordinate your watch strap with your shoes or belt?

• Always

• Sometimes

• Never

• I don't pay attention

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hieromance