• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

conak

Reaction score
So, I found out something interesting the other day which may concern us EU customers.

A couple of weeks ago, I placed an order for a pair of trousers and had them shipped to Europe. As expected, I was hit with VAT/customs.

But the other day, I received yet another order for which I had used a gift card to pay, so the total cost came down to <$40. For this order, I was not hit with VAT/customs.

Not sure if this was a fluke, but could this mean that if you pay with gift cards and keep the cost excluding gift cards lower than your respective country's VAT barrier, you'll be able to ship to Europe and avoid VAT/customs? In that case, one could simply purchase gift cards everytime and pay with them.

Anyone else that has had a similar experience?

It probably wasn't a fluke, but now that you've advertised so the lawyers and accountants are aware, it probably will be a fluke. ;). I've also been hit with lower charges when outside the US and it seems like customs officials don't bother to read the full receipt, only the final value paid, which is typically after deductions for vouchers, sale codes, gift cards etc. From the experience of friends and acquaintances, clever work-arounds (intentional or accidental) work until you have a package hit by randomized intensive screening, where they asses the value themselves. After that, if they find your package is undervalued (have they ever determined one to be overvalued?) then you will be automatically flagged for review on every incoming package...

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It probably wasn't a fluke, but now that you've advertised so the lawyers and accountants are aware, it probably will be a fluke. ;). I've also been hit with lower charges when outside the US and it seems like customs officials don't bother to read the full receipt, only the final value paid, which is typically after deductions for vouchers, sale codes, gift cards etc. From the experience of friends and acquaintances, clever work-arounds (intentional or accidental) work until you have a package hit by randomized intensive screening, where they asses the value themselves. After that, if they find your package is undervalued (have they ever determined one to be overvalued?) then you will be automatically flagged for review on every incoming package...
:brick:

Reaction score
Wore the Fox Brothers jacket with the cavalry twill trousers to church today. Really enjoy these. Looking forward to seeing some of the new stuff posted on here seems like we haven’t seen as much of it lately. Get some of these lurkers out here!

PS Just put the finishing touches on my company’s website, Drummond Jacob. It’s high end executive search stuff (nothing to sell to anyone on here so hopefully I don’t piss off the mods) but if any of you guys have 5 minutes to make sure I didn’t leave in any egregious mistakes or spelling errors and can message me if I did that would be awesome.

Attachments

• ABE2C5EA-AF71-4BEF-8294-4F69F6A4C427.jpeg
    ABE2C5EA-AF71-4BEF-8294-4F69F6A4C427.jpeg
    135.6 KB · Views: 91

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1624833831293.png

Has anyone ordered/received the new grey angelico hopsack? I ordered and it just arrived...put it on and asked my wife how it looked....she said noticeably slimmer than my other S&M sportcoats and I agree, it feels all over tighter. Rolls in the mid-back etc.

Curious if others have had the same experience. Thanks.

@spiermackay @SpierTeam

wilcthree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wore the Fox Brothers jacket with the cavalry twill trousers to church today. Really enjoy these. Looking forward to seeing some of the new stuff posted on here seems like we haven’t seen as much of it lately. Get some of these lurkers out here!

PS Just put the finishing touches on my company’s website, Drummond Jacob. It’s high end executive search stuff (nothing to sell to anyone on here so hopefully I don’t piss off the mods) but if any of you guys have 5 minutes to make sure I didn’t leave in any egregious mistakes or spelling errors and can message me if I did that would be awesome.
Can never get enough of the stone covert twills! Curious how both fabrics wore given the weather in your location.

MrFingers

Reaction score
Jumped on the knit polo train too late. Ended up getting the forest green and grey in a size smaller than I would’ve if I had the chance. So here are some pics of them, still not sure if I’ll return them or keep them, but leaning towards return..

Quality wise it’s pretty damn great, very comfortable knit, fit is very forgiving as it stretches and tightens to your bodies dimensions. I bought some other similar items from other sartorial brands twice the cost and these hold up very very well against them if not better. I would love to see SM do an interaction of them as just knitted tees or same polos with longer arms and no buttons. Absolutely incredible.

Attachments

• 55B1F661-50BD-49F4-BDFE-BAF7B22C878B.jpeg
    55B1F661-50BD-49F4-BDFE-BAF7B22C878B.jpeg
    160.3 KB · Views: 95
  • 65D23562-1A16-42C6-9C6E-47DC65FFC2CD.jpeg
    65D23562-1A16-42C6-9C6E-47DC65FFC2CD.jpeg
    155.6 KB · Views: 94
  • 2D5BFD71-1CB3-4D0C-B104-C1363136806B.jpeg
    2D5BFD71-1CB3-4D0C-B104-C1363136806B.jpeg
    121.9 KB · Views: 91
  • 1562935A-612D-4100-A991-20C76F0893A9.jpeg
    1562935A-612D-4100-A991-20C76F0893A9.jpeg
    195.5 KB · Views: 99
  • 8583ACE2-2204-4FF1-AA68-8FEEA2A49591.jpeg
    8583ACE2-2204-4FF1-AA68-8FEEA2A49591.jpeg
    227.2 KB · Views: 128

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jumped on the knit polo train too late. Ended up getting the forest green and grey in a size smaller than I would’ve if I had the chance. So here are some pics of them, still not sure if I’ll return them or keep them, but leaning towards return..

Quality wise it’s pretty damn great, very comfortable knit, fit is very forgiving as it stretches and tightens to your bodies dimensions. I bought some other similar items from other sartorial brands twice the cost and these hold up very very well against them if not better. I would love to see SM do an interaction of them as just knitted tees or same polos with longer arms and no buttons. Absolutely incredible.
Personally, unless you're going for a looser/more relaxed look, these seem to fit you great.

Imperatores

Reaction score

They definitely look quite trim, but you have the physique to pull it off. I think they look good and the trimmer fit is appropriate for a young guy. You got the two colors I wanted but was too slow to grab. I'd say keep them, unless they're size M. If they are, you look ridiculous and should immediately return them so I can snatch them up instead :-D

MrFingers

Reaction score
They definitely look quite trim, but you have the physique to pull it off. I think they look good and the trimmer fit is appropriate for a young guy. You got the two colors I wanted but was too slow to grab. I'd say keep them, unless they're size M. If they are, you look ridiculous and should immediately return them so I can snatch them up instead :-D
Thank you. I wish they were medium! That’s the size I was hoping to get in a couple other colors as well haha

Rassul-3D

Reaction score
I'm still waiting for my DB solaro to arrive. Anyone received a DB yet?

Can't imagine returning it, even as a pasty pink skin guy myself! Perhaps I should pay more attention to color selection than I do. I do agree that wearing a new color takes some getting used to.

Took some pics of the Solaro DB. I intended to take them outside but I couldn't beat the rain.

Attachments

• solaro3.jpg
    solaro3.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 125
  • solaro2.jpg
    solaro2.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 115
  • solaro5.jpg
    solaro5.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 116
  • solaro 4.jpg
    solaro 4.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 115

1st Step

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

(imho) Maybe If You're Going To Wear Tucked, Looks Good Other Than The Band (bottom) Looks Tight, I Wear A Large And Have, That Recent Return (green) One On The Way, Thursday I'll Try To Post... :fonz:
Took some pics of the Solaro DB. I intended to take them outside but I couldn't beat the rain.

Excellent Young Man, Excellent... :eek: :eek: :eek:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads