• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Malewarebytes has had that warning since the old version of the site when we had an issue with the open source Magento platform, you need to add the exclusion. We're on a new private platform now and monitor the site like hawks now. We've been emailing them ad nauseam and get the warning removed now, but they never reply. Very frustrating.

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
good post, terrible to hear that. Spier really needs to be made aware of this and the fact they are losing customers to that decision. I love spier and their quality and cuts but have Decided to stop ordering. My next purchases will Be higher level stuff, not in cloths but in cut (and more superficially in an item which has armholes that correspond to my body
I know spier at their price point needs to find something for the masses, but when everyone starts complaining about the same subject, it seems they need to correct something.

When you say everybody, how many people is that exactly? j/k, we're working on some updated cuts/bodies. But too high an armhole in this space actually ends up turning more away believe it or not. To find that balance of height/shape/comfort for a wide range of bodies is not an easy task.

IKant

Reaction score
I feel like low armholes have been a recurring complaint for a number of their products. I don't really understand why they have this tendency towards lower armholes. It's obviously common in lower end clothing because it works for the highest possible number of people, but does that approach fit S&M's customer base? I'd be surprised if their main audience isn't guys like us posting in this thread. Certainly now during quarantine, at least. Guys that appreciate the look and benefit of higher armholes. Comparable brands like SuSu or Cavour doesn't have this issue at all. Is it a North American influence, perhaps?

I mention it in my initial rant, but I got two field jackets in 36 (and I wear 38 jackets, suits and overcoats). A navy and a natural linen. I'm keeping the navy, but will either return or sell the natural linen if anyone is interested. The armholes are significantly lower on the natural linen than the navy, so it's probably a combination of unfortunate production tolerance on an already low armhole that made my natural linen especially bad.

It would be interesting to compare armhole measurements among those of us that have received our jackets. My navy field jacket measures 27 cm from shoulder to armpit laying flat. The natural linen measures 29 cm.
I don't think the S&M lower armholes are particularly visible in still shots and the jackets look appealing to me anyway. However, I got the blue seersucker about two years ago and when I tried it on the first thing I noticed was the lower armhole. I use the term "lower" as opposed to "low" because I don't believe it's low by any stretch of the imagination. But it's noticeably lower than many of the more expensive brands. I'd love a tailor's take on this...ahem...@Despos....(becuse I am just an armchair theorizer) but the lower armhole is likely directly correlated to the price. The lower the armhole, the more customers who can fit and the more jackets you can sell with a lower margin; hence the amazingly low prices. I think having an attractive armhole is more than what you see in measurements. The way it's attached also contributes to the appearance and the most beautiful jackets I've seen are where the attachments are made by hand; but I've also seen many attached by machine that are also very nice. If you move up even slightly in price, you begin to see higher armholes. More expensive brands' ($1,000 +) sales strategy do not require higher sales volumes as they play more on higher margins/lower sales volumes. For many, the lower (not low) armhole is well within the acceptable zone considering the spectacular prices for which S&M charges.

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Torzano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Will their be a matching neo cut sport coat to go with the quest cotton high rise? Please say yes.

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
We’ve missed you, Rick.

I've missed being here. I like the honesty of the community. When we do good stuff, we know about it. When we **** the bed, we also know about it. Haha. Great place to find out the weaknesses and swiftly take action. With our shops closed for the better part of a year, we also couldn't get proper in customer feedback. So, being able to engage directly with you guys was/is great and I'm going to try my best to get in here a couple of times a week.

Honestly, I'm at the office on a Sunday. Been pretty much doing 7 days since last April. To keep things going is a challenge. Not being able to travel is really making product developments and improvements really difficult. Case in point the Linen Safari, the back and forth on that was ridiculous. Something that would normally would take 2 days and maybe 2 samples in person at the factory took more than 2 months and 5 or 6 samples and still not 100%. So things are moving a lot slower than I would like. But we hope to have a lot of new, cool things coming down the pipe, including improved fits (such as higher armhole, yes).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads