• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
S&M overcoat and shirt. As with most stuff from S&M, I regret not buying the green overcoat.

D6DAAB80-7463-4E9A-97A9-A840DC874AB5.jpeg

C065E785-41CB-4938-8416-F4988BB75AC5.jpeg

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Here are the 36 slim from the side standing as natural as possible with arms up. @spiermackay

You have forward hips. Most OTR are cut straight. You need to have a good tailor reduce the back rise from the waistband. That will lift all the cloth at the back of your leg and relax the crotch at the back seam. A good tailor will be able to pin it up first to show you before they actually do the work.

The alternative is MTM. MTO can't adjust for this.

20200127_224953.jpg

SJR3

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
You have forward hips. Most OTR are cut straight. You need to have a good tailor reduce the back rise from the waistband. That will lift all the cloth at the back of your leg and relax the crotch at the back seam. A good tailor will be able to pin it up first to show you before they actually do the work.

The pants also look too slim in general on him.

This brings up a good point, something I've been thinking about for a while. @spiermackay "Forward hips" seems like a very common postural issue in people these days, due to lifestyle factors like lots of sitting and not enough exercise. It is extremely common to see messy backsides in the thigh/butt area on OTR pants these days, from your brand and many others. Have you considered adjusting your RTW pattern, just slightly, to alleviate some of this for the "average person"? I'm not necessarily suggesting that you should, just curious about what your thoughts are and if you've considered it. I get a little bit of it from your pants, but not as bad as the photos you replied to, and not enough for me to want to do MTM.

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The pants also look too slim in general on him.

This brings up a good point, something I've been thinking about for a while. @spiermackay "Forward hips" seems like a very common postural issue in people these days, due to lifestyle factors like lots of sitting and not enough exercise. It is extremely common to see messy backsides in the thigh/butt area on OTR pants these days, from your brand and many others. Have you considered adjusting your RTW pattern, just slightly, to alleviate some of this for the "average person"? I'm not necessarily suggesting that you should, just curious about what your thoughts are and if you've considered it. I get a little bit of it from your pants, but not as bad as the photos you replied to, and not enough for me to want to do MTM.

They did address this with the easier fix of shortening the back rise. A lot of people here chimed in that it did indeed help them a bit, including myself. But I also size up and take in the waist to help get some more room through the leg to help further clean things up. I agree though, I'd love to see a slight forward hip adjustment to the pattern.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1325611

Would shortening the back rise, though, cause more tension under near the rear crotch and increase the butt wedgie as seen in the original photos taken from behind? Do you think they're too slim in general as @SJR3 says? To be honest I think the contemporary look very poor on me. Would take a lot of cleaning up IMO and might even want to narrow the lower legs. @spiermackay

dluce76

Reaction score
Would shortening the back rise, though, cause more tension under near the rear crotch and increase the butt wedgie as seen in the original photos taken from behind? Do you think they're too slim in general as @SJR3 says? To be honest I think the contemporary look very poor on me. Would take a lot of cleaning up IMO and might even want to narrow the lower legs. @spiermackay
Shorten back rise at waistband, let out seat at center seam to compensate for wedgie. Slim might need the thigh opened up as well.

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Now if only the Amicale gray and brown check SC would be on sale I'd be all over it with the 20 % added on.

Edit: also, @Burzan and @Betelgeuse recent Instagram posts make me wanna jump the gun on the DB camel coat.

The Amicale is on sale...I'll have to check the USD price.

drfwtx

Reaction score
It's the same as the John Cavendish medium gray trousers. They are the same.
Thanks, but I was wondering if it was same/darker/lighter than these because I have a pair and like the dark gray color despite being called medium gray. Are they similar?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads