• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoemaking Techniques and Traditions--"...these foolish things..."

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

That's some nice RTW shoes with aggressive waists.. Maker?

did this maker appear also in the first page of this thread?

That's the one! - It's not only the waist that is aggressive about his shoes.

No real harm done, a "top-lift" is easily replaced.

It could have been worse, maybe both shoes of the pair done on a left last. Well, he didn't do that:

Last edited:

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Heh, I've seen a maker get a pair of monks in welt before realising they've got the uppers the wrong way round.

I presume, you did demand:

"As an imposition, in your finest handwriting, you will write one hundred lines 'The notch is always on the inside'"

Last edited:

ntempleman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nothing to do with me, that pair, thankfully. What a headache. One I've had to contend with was a maker having a few jobs on hand, getting the uppers from two completely different orders mixed up.

"Ho ho, I did think they seemed a bit tight lasting them up", he said.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

...... getting the uppers from two completely different orders mixed up.

Oh, I thought he had lasted the left upper over the right last (and vice versa).

I presume, that must have happened previously to someone, somewhere, sometime! :D

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Heh, I've seen a maker get a pair of monks in welt before realising they've got the uppers the wrong way round.

One I've had to contend with was a maker having a few jobs on hand, getting the uppers from two completely different orders mixed up.

"Ho ho, I did think they seemed a bit tight lasting them up", he said.

One has to ask if a single, "compleat" maker...with a mental image of what the final result is to be, and mindful to ensure it is achieved...wouldn't side-step such problems.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

No one is immune from making mistakes. You might argue that you're at a greater risk of doing so the more things you have juggled in the air.

Oh aye, I ken that fine. I'll take a backseat to no one when comes to making mistakes...although I've not had the misfortune to make those. You're 100% right about that.

But some mistakes are just so egregious, so obvious, it's hard to imagine how they could come about unless the maker wasn't paying attention. Or didn't care. How do you mount a toplift backwards, for instance, without seeing it? For that matter, how do you even photograph it...for promotional purposes or for posting on the internet...without seeing it?

IMO, it's not the number of things you're trying to do, it's the number you're trying to do at once. But then that's what "mindfulness" or even "skill" is all about, isn't it??--doing one thing at a time with all the focus you can muster, before moving on to the next thing.

Last edited:

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Inseaming starts at 1:00. What kind of stitching style is that? Chain stitching?

0.jpg

shoefan

Reaction score

Inseaming starts at 1:00.  What kind of stitching style is that?  Chain stitching?

It is the hand-sewn equivalent of a machine-sewn lockstitch. The awl has a notch in it (akin to what is called, I believe, a jerk needle) that catches the outside thread and pulls it to the inside of the holdfast. The inside thread is then put through the resulting loop, and then the threads are tightened. This is not the same as a traditional shoemakers stitch, in which the two threads alternate going in and out of awl holes through the holdfast/upper/welt. On this pictured stitch, one thread is always on the inside and the other is always on the outside, but they are looped/locked in the middle of the holdfast. Alas, if one thread breaks, that stitch gives way. In a traditional stitch, if only one thread breaks the stitch will still hold.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads