Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Shoemaking Techniques and Traditions--"...these foolish things..."

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by DWFII, Aug 23, 2014.

1. mw313

mw313 Senior member

Haha. I think you are rift in that this and the leather properties are the most shoe geek type of all of the threads and it is probably a shame that most of the major contributors are in both Haha

2. chogall

chogall Senior member

Well, there's the behind teh veil thread for shoe constructions, the leather thread, and the shoemaking techniques thread.

I am just trying to make these threads more inclusive to different styles of shoemaking as oppose to only discussions on hand sewn welted shoemaking (less lastmaking and tree making)...

3. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

No offense...and I'll go where the discussion goes...but in my opinion, esp. with regard to this thread (which I started), what you're really doing is dumbing down the discussion--conflating things that have no real similarity or equivalence. That's kind of why threads have titles/subjects.

Somewhere in all of this is the righteous (IMO) notion that not all things are equal. Not all shoes are going to be the best or use the best materials or techniques. Not all techniques produce equivalent results. Not everyone can afford handwelted shoes or even leather shoes. Not everyone will even care.

And that's OK...except when people promulgate misinformation in order to make things seem "inclusive." Nature abhors inclusiveness.

Inclusion is for mixed drinks at the end of a long Saturday night--dregs from near empty lipstick stained glasses of gin, bourbon, tequila, a hefty dollop of Drambuie, a little Dr. Pepper...all "included" in the same glass...chin-chin!

I don't have much truck with relative morality or relative anything (see my sig)--it's magical thinking. And I suspect that's where a lot of this either comes from...or ends up.

My philosophy is that when you live in a 256 grey scale world you never see the precipice until after you've walked off it.

edited for punctuation and clarity

Last edited: Jul 16, 2015

4. VRaivio

VRaivio Senior member

This bit isn't about shoemaking techniques but traditions: why do I see so many British shoemakers with tattoos? Is it an occupational thing, cultural thing, or something else entirely? Mind you, I've poured over shots from Italian factories as well, but tattoos, especially on arms, the-bigger-the-better, are a constant in Brit pics.

[​IMG]

5. ntempleman

ntempleman Senior member

It's kind of a "working class" cultural thing over here, traditionally. Maybe it stems from the days of our naval prowess - but you'd be hard pressed to hire a builder to work on your house that didn't have the crest of his football team tattood on him somewhere. It's crossed over into the world of fashion over the past 20 years or so, Celtic tribal tattoos on the shoulders of young men who've never left Essex; Chinese symbols of "peace", "strength", or "prawn chow mein" on the ankles of teenage girls in the West Midlands.

6. Webbo

Webbo Senior member

A few years ago when on a visit to a customer in Wales with some Malaysian business partners a young guy working in the hotel at breakfast rudely came over more or less demanding that the "Chinese man" with me wrote down his and his girlfriends name in "Chinese" so he could have it tattooed on his arm. I often wonder if someone in Port Talbot is still walking around with my company name and address in Mandarin inked on his arm, the tool!

7. DWFII

I really have no idea but there's a logical...if perverse...association there--skin. Working with skins / leather. Decorating skin. Or maybe marking your own skin so that it cannot be used for making shoes.

Either that or they're all MMA fighters---past or in their spare time.

Congratulations to Connor McGregor!!

[​IMG]

--

Last edited: Jul 17, 2015

8. OzzyJones

OzzyJones Senior member

Apparently one in five British men is tattooed. I'd have thought that a very conservative estimate!

9. DWFII

That said, it may be commonplace but AFAIK tattoos in the Trade...or the Industry...are not Traditional. According to most reputable dictionaries--Oxford, Merriam-Webster--a practice or custom has to be passed down from one generation to the next for it to be a Tradition.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2015

10. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

Nice soapbox.

11. DWFII

[​IMG]

12. T4phage

T4phage Senior member

@DWFII, @bengal-stripe, @shoefan
    or any others knowledgeable
    about shoes....

i saw a pix
    of a rtw shoe
    costing over 1k euro
    from the seller;s site
    and noticed teh heel

is this a new wave
    method of
    heel construction
    that has not
    yet made
    its way down
    to other shoes
    ?
    or is this
    a peculiarity
    ?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 27, 2015

13. DWFII

I assume you're referring to the rubber being at the medial corner of the heel on left shoe rather than the lateral corner as on the right shoe.

IMO, it's likely a screw-up.

But there is a possibility that the customer requested the rubber on the medial side...perhaps he tends to walk the heels off there.

14. T4phage

T4phage Senior member

thank you!
    it is a
    ready to wear shoe....
    so the last option
    seems unlikely....

Last edited: Aug 27, 2015

15. shoefan

shoefan Senior member

Yes, presumably a mistake, given that the other shoe has the rubber lift on the lateral portion of the heel. Other than that, nice looking shoes....