• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting that Ironheart is raising prices even though the yen is weakening.
IH by and large is more of a UK brand at this point imo. IHUK blew them up, and it's a boomer brand in the US with so many stockists now. I seriously doubt they do as much overall volume in Japan. Could be wrong, but highly doubtful.

Last edited:

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IH by and large is more of a UK brand at this point imo. IHUK blew them up, and it's a boomer brand in the US with so many stockists now. I seriously doubt they do as much overall volume in Japan. Could be wrong, but highly doubtful.
I'm not a boomer, just a young dad who needs his stuff to hold up to kids and repeated washes

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not a boomer, just a young dad who needs his stuff to hold up to kids and repeated washes
Kinda saying that tongue in cheek as it's gotten expensive enough younger people aren't gonna splurge on it. Surely not all are, but it's mostly what I'm seeing in and around the US on IG and in NYC.

conceptual 4est

The Classic Gentleman is Back
Reaction score
Material and production costs have skyrocketed the last few years in Japan which is why a made in Japan brands have increased their prices despite the weaker yen (which coincidentally is a big part of why material and production costs have gone up)

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kinda saying that tongue in cheek as it's gotten expensive enough younger people aren't gonna splurge on it. Surely not all are, but it's mostly what I'm seeing in and around the US on IG and in NYC.
I see what you are saying. Only need a couple pieces though

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting that Ironheart is raising prices even though the yen is weakening.

I was recently shopping for a bass ( as in electric bass guitar ) and the idea of currency arbitrage came up and so i poked around the Japanese vendors for used gear .

and yes nominal pricing was good but I realized shipping / customs would likely gut any savings . so , I found a domestic vendor who was offloading new builds from fender Japan . I got a screaming deal on a MIJ p-bass and I assume it was the currency differential that made it possible ( in this case I believe the domestic vendor was passing a portion of their favorable wholesale price on to their customers ) .

all that to say I think IH is betting that in the mind of the American consumer the value proposition is intact within the brand . imho it's a bold play , if they win then they will be paid in dollars if they lose their market share will suffer .

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right place to ask this -- I am looking for a great pair of beige/stone jeans. Would like to explore Japanese makers. I prefer a softer/lighter material rather than something very structured. Can someone recommend any makers that I should be targeting?

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right place to ask this -- I am looking for a great pair of beige/stone jeans. Would like to explore Japanese makers. I prefer a softer/lighter material rather than something very structured. Can someone recommend any makers that I should be targeting?

I have a pair of jeans from Freenote in their "Belford" straight fit that that they call an undyed natural ecru color. Their 14oz denim so not exactly the lightest weight but they weren't particularly ridgid when new and have broken in nicely with even the minimal wear I've given them.

I know Freenote is an American company but these ones would give all my Japanese selvedge denim a good run for the money.

Reaction score
I have a pair of jeans from Freenote in their "Belford" straight fit that that they call an undyed natural ecru color. Their 14oz denim so not exactly the lightest weight but they weren't particularly ridgid when new and have broken in nicely with even the minimal wear I've given them.

I know Freenote is an American company but these ones would give all my Japanese selvedge denim a good run for the money.
Thanks. Those have an interesting shape on the back pocket. I'm also wondering if Japanese is not the way to go considering their denim tends to be on the stiffer side.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Those have an interesting shape on the back pocket. I'm also wondering if Japanese is not the way to go considering their denim tends to be on the stiffer side.

If you want Japanese, there are definitely options out there. Naked and Famous usually has some interesting washes in lighter-weight denims. Their stuff is usually quite stiff to begin with but the two pair I've had broke in really quickly. If you can make their fit work (they run small in my experience), Orslow is another good option and I know they have an undyed or natural color denim in their Ivy fit.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What about something from Cottle. Their denim seems to be pretty soft, although expensive

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
minhnguyen38